Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Where to save my passwords?

shanarishona

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:53 pm
I have a hard copy of my various passwords for things at home.

But, I have trouble remembering many of them in my head, and I'm thinking I might need some of them over Chol Hamoed while I'll be away iy"H.

What are some good ideas for where I can save them while away?

A piece of paper? A document on my computer (if I labeled it anything other than password I'd probably never remember what it's called, and if I label it password - that seems a bit ridiculous? The cloud? A free service that does it and is secure?

What do you all do?

Thank you

icebreaker

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:33 pm
Google Chrome and Safari (the browsers I use) store passwords. I also use Last Pass. It's $3/month for premium for just one user and $4 for multiple users. It's really great.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:11 pm
There are also free apps that save passwords for you. And then you just have to remember the password for the one app to be able access the others

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 8:48 pm
Last pass has been recommended to me by individuals well versed in cyber security. There is a free version.

Eureka!

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 8:59 pm
I use about the same password for everything.

shanarishona

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 9:57 pm
Thank you

imasinger

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:04 pm
A combination of KeePassDroid and Dropbox.

preciousmommy

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:04 pm
I have passwords on a “note” on my iPhone. The note is locked and needs my fingerprint to view.

ggdm

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:54 am
I personally have a program called Keypass which keeps passwords in a file. I store the file in the cloud with a strong masterpassword and I additionally use a keyfile that it not saved in the cloud but separately on the computer. There is a smartphone app, but I haven't gotten round to using it yet. There are a few apps and programs like this. You need to read some reviews to trust that program or app obviously and a plan for when it stops working or is no longer maintained. This method is pretty safe, but rather less convenient.

A DIY version of a program is a note or text file or the like. Please do this only if the file itself has a password (or Face ID ir similar). It is better than nothing, but probably neither the safest nor the most convenient unless you are very good at this sort of thing and very careful.

Saving passwords in a browser is reasonably safe if you keep your browser and operating system updated and don't try out suspicious addons. Use a master password. Not the safest, but the most convenient.

There are many cloud services, but I would look into how they make their money before using them. If you pay, it would seem ok to me. If not they might get money from selling your data or are not vey professional (and therefor likely to make mistakes and lose you data or simply disappear). I would still need a high level of trust for them that they keep my passwords safe. Also, what happens if they stop their service? Is there a way to export the passwords? With the right service this can be very safe and convenient, with the wrong one very unsafe.

The worst alternative is to use the same password everywhere. You can be sure that it will get stolen at some point. This has happened so many times in the past, even with big companies (Dropbox, Adobe, Sony, ...). And then someone may be able to log into your mail or online banking or "only" buy stuff with your account. Anything is better than that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics