Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Kitchen?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 9:35 pm
I’ve never heard of the concept of having a separate pesach kitchen in ones house until imamother so please excuse my ignorance. If you have such a set up can you tell me how that works practically speaking. Is it a separate room right off your regular kitchen? Does it have a full set of appliances (refrigerator, stove etc.) that are only used immediately before and during Pesach? Do you also kasher and use your regular kitchen during the holiday?

Jalapeño

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 9:50 pm
We always had one growing up. Separate kitchen in the basement. I think it's more common in wealthy OOT frum communities with basement space, etc.

We had all appliances in the kitchen (minus dishwasher). Kashered regular kitchen for week of Pesach.

Fridge was used as overflow during the year and cleaned 1 or 2 months before. Everything else is KLP year round.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:16 pm
We have one. We spent about $4000 on it, and it's a huge help each year. It's a small room off the kitchen (most people in my neighborhood with similarly built homes use it as a pantry), which I keep locked during the year. It has counters, cabinets, dishwasher, oven and a sink. I can start cooking in advance and freeze (I have a spare freezer in the garage). I use it for cooking fleishig or pareve that will be eaten with fleishig.
About 5 days - a week before pesach I turn over my regular kitchen and do my baking and finish cooking. I use my pesach kitchen for fleishig because that's where the dishwasher is.
I use my regular kitchen for dairy and pareve, and wash those dishes in the kashered sink.
I leave my pots and pans and silverware in the pesach kitchen.

SingALong

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:58 pm
Same here, I have a large walk in pantry off my Kitchen that I turned into a Pesach kitchen. Entire closet is about 4x7. Small amount of counter space, stove and a sink. I keep the doors and windows open when I cook in there. I have an extra fridge/freezer in the basement so I store everything down there. I bakeand cook in advance. 2-3 days before Pesach I cover the counters of my regular kitchen , kasher sinks, and clean and line reg fridge/freezer. I have a plug in burner that I use for milichig that I put in my regular kitchen once it’s turned over. I use that for scrambled eggs, cheese blintzes, etc

sky

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 8:11 am
I recently met 2 people with chametz kitchens. I love the idea. They have extra appliances and the (very small) kitchen area all year long. Then pesach when they turn over early their kids have a space to prepare food. And for pesach they quickly clean and close up last minute.

My mother had a ‘pesach kitchen’ - it was a folding table. Basket for supplies. An ancient fridge and oven from our regular kitchen. And a bucket in the laundry sink. In the unfinished basement. Cost was 0.
But I don’t want one. I would just cook and never clean. I hate cleaning and love the cooking. I’d rather turn over first

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 8:18 am
It's very common to have a pesach kitchen that's just a walls length, some counters/cabinets, a sink, and oven. It's closed off with some closet doors. Many have it in the playroom.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:12 am
lmao... Just no. Last option, since it's a week a year. "the playroom" is also not a concept but at least it's year long

sra

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:34 am
I have one in my basement-1 oven, 2 sinks, dishwasher and fridge/freezer
Many people where I live have it in their pantry or closet style

little neshamala

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:41 am
I work full time until erev yomtov so don't laugh but I just make my regular kitchen my pesach kitchen a few weeks before. (Yes weeks)
Our dining room area gets transformed into the chametz kitchen with a toaster oven, microwaves, sandwich maker and all the chametz food.
I very slowly and calmly cook for pesach in my regular kitchen, as well as make my kids simple hot foods like eggs, chicken and potatos, hotdogs etc. Like this im not under pressure to cook, I cook tons and tons under total calm, and we eat slightly simpler foods until pesach. My kids actually love it because I tend to "splurge" on easier foods for them that I usually dont, such as frozen blintzes

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:35 pm
I thought we'd put in a sample piece basic cabinet and full size oven along one empty wall of the laundry room, near the sink.
But we didn't do it right away, and as it turns out we don't need it or want it, because we did put in a closet near the kitchen where all the pesach items are year round. Now that I have that and I no longer have to box up items and schlep them up and down from the basement, I feel content and would rather the space in the laundry room for all year round cabinet storage and organization.
I love cooking in my regular kitchen and I would have had to/wanted to kasher that even if I had an extra pesach space, so this works out better for our needs.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:53 pm
My parents have a Pesach kitchen in their laundry room in the basement. It's along one wall and has a sink, a counter with cabinets below and above, and a tiny 2 burner stove. They have an extra fridge and freezer they use all year long long in the laundry room as well.

My mom is super organized and starts cooking for Pesach a little at a time weeks in advance so she doesn't go crazy the week before. She starts with soups and anything else that freezes well. At some point she kashers her dairy oven in her regular kitchen so she can start baking. She only turns over her regular kitchen a couple of days before Pesach once she's used up all the chometz anyway. She doesn't actually use the Pesach kitchen on Pesach because it's cramped and it's really annoying to schlep everything up and down the stairs for every meal once Pesach starts.

I do know some families OOT with large houses that have full fledged Pesach kitchens in their basements with all the appliances and they just move close down their regular kitchens for Pesach and move downstairs for the week, dining tables and all.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:11 pm
I'd love a utility room off my kitchen that I can use to cook chamets in for a week or two before pesach while my regular kitchen is for pesach use.

I know some people who cook pesach food on fleishig side and keep milchig side chametz but I'm not comfortable doing that.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve never heard of the concept of having a separate pesach kitchen in ones house until imamother so please excuse my ignorance. If you have such a set up can you tell me how that works practically speaking. Is it a separate room right off your regular kitchen? Does it have a full set of appliances (refrigerator, stove etc.) that are only used immediately before and during Pesach? Do you also kasher and use your regular kitchen during the holiday?

I love my Pesach kitchen! It's really pretty and homey. I have a beautiful framed picture on the side wall and pretty coordinated kitchen stuff to match the picture. It has a mirrored backsplash and nicer cabinets. It's the right size for me - nice and cozy. It was built in a wide hallway. During the year, doors cover it up.

I have a fridge that backs into another room which was shortened to make room for the fridge. It is right behind where I cook. I have one sink in the Pesach kitchen and one nearby which gets kashered for milchags.

The stove is only used before and during, never after Pesach. The ceilings are high, so on top of the kitchen, I have storage. I have a complete set of small kitchen appliances and a full size range and a nice amount of countertop to work on.

We kasher and cover the regular kitchen and I use it more as a staging area than anything else.

One reason I love my Pesach kitchen so much is that it is designed to please me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
...we did put in a closet near the kitchen where all the pesach items are year round...
When we remodeled, we put in a large closet near the kitchen to hold our Pesach stuff. I never wanted to bring all those boxes up and down the stairs.

Raisin wrote:
I know some people who cook pesach food on fleishig side and keep milchig side chametz but I'm not comfortable doing that.
We do that. It works if you have a good separation between meat and dairy, and if you don't have little kids.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I just put in a pesach kitchen this year. It is in my den, a few steps from my kitchen. It has a counter, sink, and stove. I have been preparing and freezing stuff in my extra freezer in the basement. I do kasher and use my regular kitchen. The pesach kitchen is a big help and helps me avoid the cooking marathon two days before pesach.

sneakermom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:04 pm
Somehow a pesach kitchen feels like more work to me. My brain can’t operate two kitchens simultaneously.

And most people kasher their regular kitchens as well...

The only benefit is you can start cooking as soon as the stores put out klp products (right after Purim).

renslet

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 6:39 pm
I grew up with a pesach kitchen, basically a wall in the playroom with stove, sink and closets.
When I moved into my current apartment I worked it out that the room with the matching machine and dryer had a metal sink and a gas hookup.
My mother in law gave me her pesach stove that she doesn't use anymore and I use the machine machine and dryer as counters. I have two closets that are there with the pesach stuff all year round.
It's a huge help for me, it's off the kitchen but there's a door with a lock in between. I cook when the kids are school and then before everyone comes home, everything is put away. My freezer is cleaned first and I have loads of stuff there already.
Another huge help is that my regular kitchen is just covered and taped shut so way less cleaning.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:41 pm
I built one in my current home. It was our old laundry room, so it's pretty small, but very functional. Fleishig only. Sink, slide in range, a tiny bit of counter space and tons of storage. It is pretty close to my kitchen so I use the fridges in there. (I also kasher one oven in my kitcen so I can have two going -- but I don't otherwise kasher my regular kitchen). It opens to my family room with double doors so it doesn't feel claustraphobic and I open up counter-height folding tables as my additional counter space so I can spread out.

Most people do this to get a good head start on Pesach cooking but for us it was because our regular kitchen is very nice (as are our new wood floors) and I didn't want to destroy it by kashering it year after year. Also, I have so much pesach stuff. More than I have for the rest of the year, because everyone comes to us for seders and I would have had to build a tremendous amount of storage cabinets for it all anyhow. It wasn't such a big thing to add a sink and a range since we were anyway doing construction and this way I don't have to shlep all the pots and pans and dishes to my regular kitchen either.

It's definitely a luxury and I am glad we did it. Pesach is not nearly as exhausting as it used to be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics