Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Kindle for Long Trip — for a Child

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:23 pm
DS#1, wonderful DDIL, and their four little ducklings are going to wonderful DDIL's sister for Pesach, two long flights away. Dear Duckling #1 is 7 years old and loves to read. Currently she's working through all the Magic Treehouse books, about one each day. So...

Is there a Kindle that does NOT get internet? Do you have to purchase all the e-books or is there some kind of subscription plan available? Do Kindles have ads for things we would rather our little duckling not see?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:43 pm
The only way to get the books onto the Kindle in the first place is via connecting to your Amazon Kindle account, which requires WiFi. You can definitely download your books and then turn off the WiFi capabilities using the parental controls. Amazon offers a number of free books on Kindle. They also have a Kindle unlimited subscription with a wider range of books, and there's a free trial available for that option if they'd like to use it for a month without paying. I bought two of the most basic Kindle readers for my oldest kids before a big trip and they turned out to be a good, if limited (since I choose not to pay for books), investment.

I've never seen an ad that I felt was problematic. They're mostly still pictures of book covers I think? My kids definitely don't check them out at all. I think Amazon is conscious about clean ad content.

I think there may be some public libraries that offer Kindle books, but my local libraries don't, so I don't know anything about it.

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:17 am
Hi, Just to say that if you're computer savy there are other programs (calibre for example) that allow you to upload books via a computer. You can also use the parental controls to limit what they can access.
Your normal local library might also have an overdrive account which allows you to borrow ebooks from them
Although if you got a Kobo ereader instead, I've heard they can access their own lending library, but I've no idea how good it is.

Amalia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:57 am
Thank you, Rubber Ducky, for posting this question! I have exactly the same one, only for an older boy.

Thank you, amethyst, for the info.

And thank you, cholentfan, for all the leads! It’s very useful.

And welcome to this site!

And, once we are at it, and hoping that the OP does not mind, I have a similar question regarding music downloads. My son used to have an IPod Nano but it broke, and we can’t find a device that he can download and listen to music on, without having internet access. Any leads? Many thanks.

Amalia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:21 pm
Bump

shoshiesavannah

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:29 pm
If you do get a kindle, please use your public library for ebooks! I get 99% of my books that way and they make it so easy and it’s free!

Amalia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:38 pm
shoshiesavannah wrote:
If you do get a kindle, please use your public library for ebooks! I get 99% of my books that way and they make it so easy and it’s free!

Thank you!

studying_torah

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 3:11 am
Download books before the trip, wifi can be spotty along thr way.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 8:34 am
DONT RELY ON WIFI ABROAD AND ON THE ROAD
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics