Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you buy fruits & veggies by "nonkosher" store on pesach?
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:24 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You are wrong. There are differences. The distributers can sell different types of apples for instance. The produce is unwaxed for Pesach. Some won't eat food that's been waxed. My neighbors are fussy and will only eat food from specific stores.

Since op is mentioning evergreen, I don't think she has this concern. The produce in evergreen is not kosher in any special way (though hopefully they are careful about produce from Israel, which is not a pesach related concern).

mommish613

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:28 am
The first year we stayed home for pesach DH went to shop rite on erev pesach and picked up the most delicious string beans. During the year they are a staple for our family and we were thrilled to have them over yt.

The problem is we had no idea that string beans are kitnyos! (we are ashkenaz)

I don’t think something like that would’ve happened had he gone to a kosher supermarket. Just something to keep in mind. Just because it’s a fruit or vegetable doesn’t necessarily mean it’s okay.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:30 am
Mommish613, why do you think your DH wouldn't buy string beans at a kosher supermarket?? I'm sure you do know that many people do eat kitnyos and the Jewish supermarkets do sell them for pesach.

mommish613

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:29 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Mommish613, why do you think your DH wouldn't buy string beans at a kosher supermarket?? I'm sure you do know that many people do eat kitnyos and the Jewish supermarkets do sell them for pesach.

My local kosher supermarket does not sell them with their regular produce on pesach. Unless it’s in a separate section for kitnyos.

renslet

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 7:06 pm
This thread is hysterical! Besides for Israel, where you have to take Trumos and masros, do people really think that apples from the kosher store are more kosher lepesach???
Wash your fruit well, we peel everything regardless and enjoy.
Yidden throughout the world and through all generations have shipped at markets, stores etc. We have really lost the plot

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:15 pm
I agree with previous poster this is getting ridiculous! If you have a certain minhag , like not eating kitniyos, you should be knowledgeable and not rely on the store for “kashrus “. And no, the Jewish stores do not grow special produce kosher lpesach. Loving the 3 special checkouts in Lakewood evergreen devoted to only pesach items. And all the Sheeple are waiting in long lines while those lanes are empty....screw your heads On straight people. They don’t cover checkouts in shoprite , Costco,etc Rolling Eyes

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 11:58 pm
I am very much "out of town" and am fortunate enough to live close to a beautiful store (not a "kosher" one) that specializes in a wide variety of good quality fruits and vegetables. It has other things too, and I even buy my fish there. (I bring my own knife and cutting board for them to fillet it, and container for them to store it.) For specialty kosher items, I shop in the kosher section of a larger supermarket.

On a side note, I advise everyone to know their minhag, and to make sure they know what is kitniyot, and what is not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics