Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How many pounds of Matzah do you buy for pesach?
1  2  Next

yihyetov

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 5:52 am
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how many pounds I need. This is my first year making pesach. We are a family of 6..only five eating..and we gebrokts...we only buy round shmura so I don't want to over buy but I want to have plenty...thanks!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 5:53 am
Do you eat matzah during the week (chol hamoed)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 5:59 am
We don't really eat matzah during the week since we prefer food, so for us 1 pound per person is more than enough. We buy 2 pounds per person and usually more than half is left over for during the year since dh likes the shmura to eat with eggs on shabbos.
But if you have a restrictive menu and don't have much variety to eat you'll need a lot more. Some people need 3 pounds per person.

yihyetov

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:01 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Do you eat matzah during the week (chol hamoed)

Yes

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:15 am
We use 2lb per person - no gebrokts.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 7:26 am
2 kilos, most for lasagna, bemuelos, matzebrei

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 7:33 am
We keep matzah from year to year when we have extra. If you buy the thin brands then it lasts perfectly.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 7:43 am
10 lbs for a family of 6.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:02 am
We bought ten pounds this year, if we need more we will buy on chol hamoed. Usually we buy 8, but this year we are home for both sedarim and we are having guests for one meal so we will definitely need more then usual. We are a family of five. All eat like adults except the three year old. We don’t restrict the Matza at all. Everyone eats as much as they want whenever they want.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:02 am
I also buy 10 lbs for family of 6. We use 8 lbs during pesach. Extra 2lbs we eat a little every shabbos till shavuos as per our minhag. No gebrokts.

Every family eats different amounts of matzah during pesach, even with same family size

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:05 am
Matzah that stays too long can get wormy so solution is to reheat before eating if it's old already

momwifedaughter

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:14 am
We're a family of 5 kids kh.. That's 7 people in house. We bought 12 lbs and decided today that it might not be enough so we're adding additional 6 lbs. I see we're the biggest eaters here Wink

yihyetov

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:22 am
momwifedaughter wrote:
We're a family of 5 kids kh.. That's 7 people in house. We bought 12 lbs and decided today that it might not be enough so we're adding additional 6 lbs. I see we're the biggest eaters here Wink

Do you gebrokts?

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:42 am
So you are getting responses between 1 to 3 lbs per person for entire pesach.

Consider also if you are getting thick or thin matzo boards. Thick matzo will give you fewer matzos per pound. Thinner will give you more per pound.

mha3484

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:07 am
We get 2lbs per person plus some broken matzah. Maybe because it’s not local when it gets shipped some will always be broken so I would rather be cautious then scramble at the last minute.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:44 am
We are a family of 3, and this year we'll be buying 3 kg of matzah. Last year we bought two and had to skimp on it a bit, and this year our daughter is older and will probably want more.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:00 am
I have three small kids. I only bought 6 pounds which may not be enough. We will be home the sedarim but away chol hamoed and not bringing matza (going with extended family and they are bringing) not sure if home second days. If it's too little I will but another box before second days.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:27 pm
We are a family of 7 and usually buy 6-7 lbs. We always have tons left over. My kids are not big matzah fans.

thegiver

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 2:04 am
dankbar wrote:
Matzah that stays too long can get wormy so solution is to reheat before eating if it's old already

Worm eggs might still be there after heating. If it's old check for webbing and other signs of infestation

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 2:37 am
OP, what are your meal plans?

If your kids eat matza and cream cheese for breakfast every morning, and if you only will use matza meal from your own hand shmura, the number will be different from if the kids want eggs and cheese, and your cooking is fine with commercial machine matza meal.

We eat hand shmura for the sedarim and have 2 matzot available for motzi at other YT meals. I bought 6 pounds hand shmura for 12 adults at one seder and 8 at the second. Should be plenty. I have not yet bought machine for the week.

As soon as it's chol hamoed, I'll pick up a bunch of machine matza for 50-75% off from the big grocery store, who puts their KLP stuff on sale as soon as the sedarim are over.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics