Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
For all who are making Pesach w/o money tell me you secret
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:02 pm
I'm sitting here physically sick from the stress.
I am buying the bare minimum but we are 14 for Pesach and I only have around 800 for the whole Yom Tov not only for food but for non food items as well.
We do get Tomchie shabbos but that's it.
We are all home and the kids get hungry most are grown boys so they eat a ton.
Need some advice on how to cope.

crust

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:05 pm
Where do you live?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:06 pm
Did you sign up to your jewish community council? Some give out vouchers for a local supermarket. What about clothes for kids through the organization that runs through all the children's schools?
Hug

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:13 pm
Clothes - There are organizations that help. Contact your children’s schools. They should be able to guide you.

Food - contact your local community council, tomchei shabbos, Rav - many have a fund...

If you post your community, maybe someone here can give you specific names and numbers for organizations that help in your community.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:39 pm
for food try Masbia

Rhom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:39 pm
Where are you located maybe I can help?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:58 pm
Your Rav would most likely be the one to give you the proper resources. They take care of maos chittim etc. , you need to reach out and explain your situation . I'm sorry that you are going through this right now. When we were in a matzav like this (and we have been) my husband told a Rav he was close to and he was able to give us an envelope with some cash and we also borrowed money some years . Hope this is just a passing struggle and you won't need to ask for financial help in the future. Chag Kasher V'Sameach .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 2:02 pm
I live in the Monsey area.
Unfortunately several people and rabbanim who helped last year are not able to help this year.
I was hoping that my tax refund would get here in time but it is not going to happen.
Someone told me about a person who gives out ready made food but they don't have a number. Anyone know who I am referring to?
My kids got some clothing not a lot but will make do with what they have.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 2:06 pm
I hear you. I answered on the other thread about how to keep things cheap but that was before I went shopping for clothes now. We will wear what we have. Food is crazy expensive. All I can say is definitely no bought pesach snacks. Stay away from those recipes calling for all kinds of nuts and flours and oils. And try sticking to really basic chicken eggs and vegetables potatoes cubed diced and mashed. Yogurts are nice but if you don't have them everyone will eat matza and fruit. Pudding packages split into cups in the fridge can be like leben and alot cheaper. Matza with tuna, cream cheese, white fish, butter, jam, or as pizza everyone will enjoy. Shmura is nice but not if you can't afford food for your family. If you can do it without plastic plates that can save you money too. I wish you a gebentched Yom tov!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 2:33 pm
Potatoes, potatoes 😐....
Eggs
Potato kugel
Chicken Soup

Don’t spend on chol hamoed trips
Parks are free
Some zoos and museums have free days- go then and enjoy

For now, bagels are cheap.
Loaf of bread is even cheaper

studying_torah

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 2:41 pm
Buy as much as you can in costoco- matzah, cholov yisrael cheese, eggs, grape juice etc is much cheaper.
Hatzlacha

crust

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 3:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in the Monsey area.
Unfortunately several people and rabbanim who helped last year are not able to help this year.
I was hoping that my tax refund would get here in time but it is not going to happen.
Someone told me about a person who gives out ready made food but they don't have a number. Anyone know who I am referring to?
My kids got some clothing not a lot but will make do with what they have.

Can these several rabbanim and people at least speak to other people/orgs on your behalf?
There are so many orgs literaly dishing out food. You should not be hungry.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 3:10 pm
Hi op,
I’d love to sponsor a pre pesach pizza dinner. Do u eat out? Any pizza store u would rather eat?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 3:15 pm
There is a food giveaway tomorrow at 4 Monsey Heights according to a forwarded WhatsApp message.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 3:15 pm
OP, if you don't have enough from Tomche Shabbos contact them and they will give you more . Based on how I understand it, Tomche Shabbos gives according to family size , so in terms of food you should really be covered just by Tomche Shabbos alone. In Monsey they give even more than anywhere else . Today is the Tomche Shabbos delivery, contact them to make sure you are getting enough cases of everything you need.
I don't know about clothes or anything else but food wise they will provide you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:34 pm
We eat very simply nothing fancy.

Crust- unfortunately there are so many more people who are in need so it is very hard to get this year.
As far as Tomchie I asked for more item but they dont have everything we need.

Floralwhite- Thank you so much but I am too embarrassed to say who I am. But thank you so much.

Southernbubby- Thank you do you do you by any chance know what time it is for?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:41 pm
All it said was afternoon. They had it today until 1. I don't know who's in charge of it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:44 pm
My Rav gives me matza. I stick to basics.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:00 pm
I also would love to sponsor a pre pesach dinner . For privacy , you can email me at yutaleah@gmail.com

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:17 pm
$800 should be more than enough money for one week. Produce is inexpensive. So is eggs. Chicken can be served as a stir fry mixed with lots of veggies. You don't need to buy meat. Matza is not for snacking. Use real dishes instead of paper goods. There is no need to buy everyone new clothes if they still have in their closet. We make pesach for well under that amount and there's always enough food to go around.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics