Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Lakewood shopping... coupons??

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 2:29 pm
What are the square paper coupons people are paying with?
Someone was in front of me in heads of class and bought at least $300 worth of stuff. She gave the cashier a paper coupon and they wrote down the total and she walked out with her things. This was a well dressed woman. Am I missing something?

Writergirl

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are the square paper coupons people are paying with?
Someone was in front of me in heads of class and bought at least $300 worth of stuff. She gave the cashier a paper coupon and they wrote down the total and she walked out with her things. This was a well dressed woman. Am I missing something?

I know BMG has been giving out specific coupons but there are many specifications as to who receives them I.e. age, number of years in kollel etc. Not sure though if this is what you saw.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:24 pm
Writergirl wrote:
I know BMG has been giving out specific coupons but there are many specifications as to who receives them I.e. age, number of years in kollel etc. Not sure though if this is what you saw.

Interesting. Thanks

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:28 pm
Writergirl wrote:

The BMG coupons are blue and rectangular. They do not cover the entire cost - it's more like 30% off, or 25% off, etc...in certain stores at certain dates. My husband learns in Kollel for over 20 years (not necessarily in BMG straight) and this is what we got.

What you saw was more likely from a Tzedaka organization, like Ahavas Tzedaka - they give coupons that cover the total amount of purchase.

Just because someone is well-dressed doesn't mean they have money. There are enough threads here on imamother about people who get nice clothes from thrift places and can't afford to put bread on the table.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 4:46 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
The BMG coupons are blue and rectangular. They do not cover the entire cost - it's more like 30% off, or 25% off, etc...in certain stores at certain dates. My husband learns in Kollel for over 20 years (not necessarily in BMG straight) and this is what we got.

What you saw was more likely from a Tzedaka organization, like Ahavas Tzedaka - they give coupons that cover the total amount of purchase.

Just because someone is well-dressed doesn't mean they have money. There are enough threads here on imamother about people who get nice clothes from thrift places and can't afford to put bread on the table.

So I just came back from the shoe store... out of a lineup of ten people I was the only one without a coupon. There were cards and papers. I guess I’m the only sucker who pays full price 🙄
But seriously good for them lol.

Writergirl

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I just came back from the shoe store... out of a lineup of ten people I was the only one without a coupon. There were cards and papers. I guess I’m the only sucker who pays full price 🙄

BMG definitely gave out 75 dollars coupon for shoe stores...one per child. I know many people who got them.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:35 pm
Writergirl wrote:
BMG definitely gave out 75 dollars coupon for shoe stores...one per child. I know many people who got them.

My husband is in a different kollel and received them too. But that is the only discount he received. No hosiery or anything of the likes.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:48 pm
Writergirl wrote:
BMG definitely gave out 75 dollars coupon for shoe stores...one per child. I kow many people who got them.

Really??? How do u get it? My husband has been in bmg kollel for the last 16+ years and I work very hard to scrape together enough money to cover our yt expenses. We get the blue coupons which are discounts on very specific days and stores but usually not worth while cuz they're for the week before yom tov when the only things left are not affordable even with the discount. But I have yet to receive a 75 coupon for shoes!!! That would have been a real big help!

newlywed613

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 7:39 pm
It was probobly the ahavas tzedakah coupons. Many people in lakewood recieve them. Alot of rebeiim and kollel yungeliet as well. Its a beautiful thing that dr and mrs shanik take care of before yom tov!

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Really??? How do u get it? My husband has been in bmg kollel for the last 16+ years and I work very hard to scrape together enough money to cover our yt expenses. We get the blue coupons which are discounts on very specific days and stores but usually not worth while cuz they're for the week before yom tov when the only things left are not affordable even with the discount. But I have yet to receive a 75 coupon for shoes!!! That would have been a real big help!

I didn't get them either. Both my husband and my child have a serious medical condition, I'm thousands of dollars in debt, and I am barely managing. But I'm okay with the $16 shoes I got my daughter on sale at Nordstrom Rack. I don't need us to wear stuff we can't afford.

I did use the blue cards in two places - I saved on hosiery and on shells. It was a big help. Other than that, we managed at sales, like Juvenile Planet's outlet store...

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just remember, most of those people wish they could afford to pay full price. Most people do not want to take tzedakah, they just have no choice.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:05 pm
The only problem with this is that the middle class are the ones who’s kids have the shoes that are not ‘in’. The wealthy afford it and the low income get it for free.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:08 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
The only problem with this is that the middle class are the ones who’s kids have the shoes that are not ‘in’. The wealthy afford it and the low income get it for free.

That's true, and I'm part of that middle class who can't afford to buy shoes locally. But I'm still happy that the low income people are being given these vouchers. Their lives are so difficult as it is, let them have whatever they are able to get from tzedakah.

try2Bbestmother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:55 am
It could be this is not good middos. But I feel bad for my kids when most kids wear the 95 dollar shoes and they wear the 30 dollar zara shoes.
While I'm happy for the lower income ppl that stuggle to get help, I'm not happy that they get this type of help because it raises the bar across society...If most ppl - the rich and the poor are wearing fancy shoes, then your kid becomes nebby when really there's nothing wrong with it. I give over to my kids the attitude of how exciting it is to find metziahs and tell them how nice they look but it bothers ME (!) when I see this. Call it jelousy if you wish but this is across the board. The "help" - be it people who get extensive programs or tzedaka..... raises the bar for everyone (ie: they have more money for fancy accessories etc..) and then the only "poor" people left are the so called middle class. I'm really lower class too but.......

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:22 pm
try2Bbestmother wrote:
It could be this is not good middos. But I feel bad for my kids when most kids wear the 95 dollar shoes and they wear the 30 dollar zara shoes.
While I'm happy for the lower income ppl that stuggle to get help, I'm not happy that they get this type of help because it raises the bar across society...If most ppl - the rich and the poor are wearing fancy shoes, then your kid becomes nebby when really there's nothing wrong with it. I give over to my kids the attitude of how exciting it is to find metziahs and tell them how nice they look but it bothers ME (!) when I see this. Call it jelousy if you wish but this is across the board. The "help" - be it people who get extensive programs or tzedaka..... raises the bar for everyone (ie: they have more money for fancy accessories etc..) and then the only "poor" people left are the so called middle class. I'm really lower class too but.......

I really don't see the Zara shoes as nebby. I know a wealthy family in my neighborhood who buys her kids clothes and shoes from Zaras, because why waste money. They go abroad with the whole family for Y"T, but they don't overdo the clothes.

I feel that as long as my kids look put together, it really doesn't matter if their clothes didn't cost a mint.

This season for some reason Zaras shoes didn't work for her, because the smaller size was too small and the next one was a little too big. But usually they work great for us, and she looks cute in them.

I hear you about the raising of the bar, but I think to some extent it's only an issue if you make it one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics