Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Beware Pesach Hotel Scam
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:43 am
This should have been re-posted on Collive this year with enough time before pesach for people to be alerted, not just last year after pesach.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 3:19 am
Apparently any good reviews were from the guys family and friends

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:52 am
DrMom wrote:
If there was so little food, how were there any leftovers to serve as later meals?

Ah... I bet these were leftovers from other Pesach programs that were being trucked in. (I guess that would explain why Seder night food didn't arrive until 2am...)

Yes, that doesn't make sense either, but it sounds like very bad management all round. I don't think a pesach program would be allowed to truck in food on yom tov, even if a non Jew is doing it, but maybe I am wrong. (clearly this guy doesn't care too much about halacha since he is stealing from all these people)

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:10 am
Wasn't there a class action suit against the guy?

If it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't a bargain. He wasn't doing it as a tzedukah.

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:28 am
If you're on FB, there's a group for pesach program reviews that has a number of posts about their program, and publicizes their info. The group actually was put together to raise awareness about these guys.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Beware of any Pesach program that is brand new and cheap. There is a Pesach program operator who has two programs every year for 1200 people in each program but only serves enough food for 700 people. He is currently being sued by 200 guests from last year.

Every year he CHANGES THE NAMES of the Pesach programs and gets new gullible people. So if you Google the new names, you won't see all the bad reviews. We know people who ended up going home after the first two days because they were hungry. Even worse, the programs completely ran out of food by the last days.

I had the same experience 2 yrs ago, I’m sure you’re referring to that same program I went to, and people were literally, no exaggeration, stampeding to get the food when it came out because they kept running out at every meal, then at one point on chol hamoed someone paid a waiter $50 to get him food, and at another point one angry guy ended up punching the kitchen worker and the police had to be called! It was chaos!!!!

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:13 pm
The problem is that the people that go to these places don't have Internet or are not on FB. This has to be advertised in the weekly newspapers

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:14 pm
nicole81 wrote:
If you're on FB, there's a group for pesach program reviews that has a number of posts about their program, and publicizes their info. The group actually was put together to raise awareness about these guys.

Both Great Kosher Restaurant Foodies (Elan Kornblum) and Dani Klein's group (whose name I forget) also covered this at length last year, if anyone needs more information.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:31 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
The problem is that the people that go to these places don't have Internet or are not on FB. This has to be advertised in the weekly newspapers

What?! What planet are u living on? People who go to Pesach hotels don’t have internet???

Fabulous

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:11 pm
we went to his program about 5 years ago (the second year he did it) and we left in the middle. They even ran out of water! Pesach there aren't just places you can go to buy takeout even or snacks locally and you shouldn't have to. We literally didn't have chairs for our table first day yom tov. I ate in the room! Btw, we didn't even pay so little. 5k for a couple with a small child. We often came early to the kids dinner so that we had something to eat. As we were leaving, his brother asked why and I said we didn't even have water! He said, what?? There are cases and cases in this closet and showed my husband and gave us a bottle. He claims it's just poor management. If you can't manage, get someone who can or just stop making a program.

We couldn't even go home because I didn't clean and sold the house. It was awful!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:37 pm
rainbow dash wrote:

The people I know who don't have internet connection would never go to a Pesach hotel. They don't "mish", meaning they only eat food that they cooked in their home.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:32 pm
I know this is a little off topic, but I don’t have Facebook. Can someone please tell me what these Facebook groups are saying about the Chef Flam program? I’m also going there and a little nervous

elisheva25

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:41 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I know this is a little off topic, but I don’t have Facebook. Can someone please tell me what these Facebook groups are saying about the Chef Flam program? I’m also going there and a little nervous

People had horrific experience last year. There were a few threads about it last year on here. People were really scammed .

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Beware of any Pesach program that is brand new and cheap. There is a Pesach program operator who has two programs every year for 1200 people in each program but only serves enough food for 700 people. He is currently being sued by 200 guests from last year.

Every year he CHANGES THE NAMES of the Pesach programs and gets new gullible people. So if you Google the new names, you won't see all the bad reviews. We know people who ended up going home after the first two days because they were hungry. Even worse, the programs completely ran out of food by the last days.

Are people still signing up for Pesach programs the week before Pesach? Just wondering.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:45 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
What?! What planet are u living on? People who go to Pesach hotels don’t have internet???

My mil went to a hotel for peasch, she has Internet access but only checks what she is interested in. And she doesn't have FB.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:57 am
imasoftov wrote:
Are people still signing up for Pesach programs the week before Pesach? Just wondering.

From what I’ve read on here, these hotels have open spots and sell them for a fraction of the cost the day or two before pesach. Its a gamble people are willing to take.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:59 am
imasoftov wrote:

yes. we are. We were planning to be home but I couldn't handle it this year and dh got us a good deal on a program.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:39 pm
When I read that the owner claimed the woman who was taken to the hospital for food poisoning actually went to the hospital because she ate four of his succulent rib eye steaks, I knew that the program couldn't be "right" because his claim of her overeating was so over the top.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:47 pm
watergirl wrote:
From what I’ve read on here, these hotels have open spots and sell them for a fraction of the cost the day or two before pesach. Its a gamble people are willing to take.

I know a family that does this. They even buy tickets in advance to a city with many hotel programs and the week of get a great deal on empty slots.
Id be so nervous. But it works for them every year.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:50 pm
watergirl wrote:

Just as an FYI, and not re the programs being discussed, not every program does that. We tried it one year when my mother (a"h) took ill at the last minute, and we wanted to spend the holiday at a program literally down the street from her home. No discount, even the day before the chag.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics