Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
For all who are making Pesach w/o money tell me you secret
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 7:14 pm
You can go through Yael for the pizza offer.... that way you will stay annonymous. Accept the offer!

Pesach is very expensive! I know!!! Let your boys fill up on eggs, potatoes, soup, and compote- all are not so expensive.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:14 pm
This week supper is being served at 20 Ashel Ln for very cheap. $2child$4adult. They serve 2 diff chickens, sides, hotdogs, soups and desserts every day. You can eat as much as you want for the same price. And you can speak to Moshe Goldman to eat free of charge. https://I.imgur.com/pGS7I2b.jpg

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 8:20 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
This week supper is being served at 20 Ashel Ln for very cheap. $2child$4adult. They serve 2 diff chickens, sides, hotdogs, soups and desserts every day. You can eat as much as you want for the same price. And you can speak to Moshe Goldman to eat free of charge. https://I.imgur.com/pGS7I2b.jpg

It is very much lunchroom style, but there's plenty food, and all different types of ppl. I am brought to tears every year at the magnitude of this chesed!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:28 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

Wow... that is really something! I hope op takes advantage of this for the next few days!! If I lived in monsey, I probably would!

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:29 pm
Put up a big pot of fleishige soup every day. Soup made from a $15 piece of pot roast (includes the bone) with water, potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and any other veggies you like, is filling and tastes great (can add extra soup bones if you have).

Get lots of bananas for snacks.

Fry lots of onions and boil up big pots of potatoes to drain, mash with fried onions, add a little oil and salt. Serve a huge mound of these mashed potatoes with a little chicken stirfry on top. (I use boiled dark meat chicken, chilled and the meat picked off the bones, for stirfry.)

Our Rav said the almond flour at Costco (sold without KLP certification) is KLP, and it's much cheaper than other options.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:58 pm
You're not alone
You are a courageous and great woman
Stand tall
It's tough not to have money when everyone is shopping
I should know
Hold tight
Let's daven for the geulah this Pesach
I try to think of all the sick
All the childless
All the disabled
All the yesomim
All who have special needs children
Anything to get me to gratitude for what I do have
It works many times
Sometimes it's okay to have a pity party
with lots of tears tissues and I'm so fed up tired and sick of being poor statements
Hugs

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:03 pm
Yeshuas Hashem k’heref ayin....

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:14 pm
OP... please PM me.

I know ppl in Monsey you can speak to

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in the Monsey area.
Unfortunately several people and rabbanim who helped last year are not able to help this year.
I was hoping that my tax refund would get here in time but it is not going to happen.
Someone told me about a person who gives out ready made food but they don't have a number. Anyone know who I am referring to?
My kids got some clothing not a lot but will make do with what they have.

pm.me.if youre comfortable, I know the contact person of the person that can possibly provide ready made food.
Or if you dont feel comfortable PMing, let me know snd ill send info to Yael. Im just not comfortable sharing a private number to someone publicly.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:46 pm
Ration the money
$800 for 8 days is $100 a day
Set aside 10 for disposables
15 for dairy
25 for produce
Still leaves you $50 for protein
Buy chicken and gefilte fish

Should work

Obviously this doesn't cover chop hamoed outings, cleaning help (though you could cut corners and use $ for cleaning help), or clothes. Keep things simple. It's one week.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 12:15 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
$800 should be more than enough money for one week. Produce is inexpensive. So is eggs. Chicken can be served as a stir fry mixed with lots of veggies. You don't need to buy meat. Matza is not for snacking. Use real dishes instead of paper goods. There is no need to buy everyone new clothes if they still have in their closet. We make pesach for well under that amount and there's always enough food to go around.

You make Pesach from beginning to end - for 14 people - including teenagers and adult children, for well under $800?

Please break it down.

That does not sound at all realistic.

Or maybe you're just all small eaters. Or maybe you live somewhere with access to much lower prices.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:55 am
I too want to see the $800 breakdown for 14 people. We are $800 plus cleaning help for 4 people. No new clothing, just food.

thegiver

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:19 am
Try vegetarian recipes for weekday.
When u use ground meat mix with potatoes or eggs or both to thicken and add quantity
Don't take ur kids shopping with u
For snacks cut fruits and veggies put on fruit skewer sticks to make fun
Don't buy nonesssntials. When u shop only buy what's on ur list. I'm skipping all snack sections and processed grocery items that come in a box. I'm also skimping on spices --just salt will do maybe pepper too
Compare prices of stores before u go (online)

May Hashem provide amply for u and klal yisroel. After pesach Make challah and daaven for parnassa on Fridays when u separate dough. It is an es ratzon for parnassa. Tehillim has also helped Hashem replenish my bank account. Be thankful for what hashem wants YOU to have. This bitachon is keli for more brachos.

I'm also getting all my fruit and veggies from a cheap farmers market--saves me 50%!!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:35 am
oliveoil wrote:
You make Pesach from beginning to end - for 14 people - including teenagers and adult children, for well under $800?

Please break it down.

That does not sound at all realistic.

Or maybe you're just all small eaters. Or maybe you live somewhere with access to much lower prices.

I agree that in a house with that many people, including teens, that figure seems very low.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:17 am
We’re having 10 people for each seder, and about 6 for all other meals.
I spent
About $250 including meat, chicken, salmon, eggs, grape juice, seltzer, other ingredients, etc (we’re Chabad and don’t use processed foods so it keeps it down, although I did buy some for kids and the days before Pesach).
A bit more than $100 on wine.
$100 on matzah (10 pounds shmurah).
About $50 (didn’t add it up exactly but something like that) on disposable pans and paper goods.
Will probably spend about $80 on produce.
About $20 on kitchen covering supplies.
Will dry clean my husband’s clothes but not buying any new stuff for me or him (did buy my baby some new clothes but he needed them anyway).
I only have an hour of cleaning help a week.

This year I didn’t need to buy any appliances or kitchen things but I bought some new Haggadahs and a matzah cover for $140 altogether.

Total approximately $700. If I had stuck to the absolute basics I could have kept it to about $500. I could imagine a simple Pesach not being radically more expensive for 18 people - more matzah and wine would be the expensive part.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:37 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I spent
About $250 including meat, chicken, salmon, eggs, grape juice, seltzer, other ingredients, etc (we’re Chabad and don’t use processed foods so it keeps it down, although I did buy some for kids and the days before Pesach).
About $50 (didn’t add it up exactly but something like that) on disposable pans and paper goods.
Will dry clean my husband’s clothes but not buying any new stuff for me or him (did buy my baby some new clothes but he needed them anyway).

This year I didn’t need to buy any appliances or kitchen things but I bought some new Haggadahs and a matzah cover for $140 altogether.

Total approximately $700. If I had stuck to the absolute basics I could have kept it to about $500. I could imagine a simple Pesach not being radically more expensive for 18 people - more matzah and wine would be the expensive part.

10 pounds shmura for $100!!! Thats 10 dollars per pound!! Where do u get it so cheap?? I didnt see that price in brklyn or.... The cheapest I've seen is 16.99 per pound for harder than normal shmura (tiferes Stam)

$250 for all the other foods you mentioned also seems cheaper than regular...I want to know where salmon and chicken and all.. for 10 ppl cost that cheap...unless you are rationing very little for each person??

Pls tell me ur secret

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:52 am
I spent

This is so 40 years ago...
Where do you shop??

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:56 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
10 pounds shmura for $100!!! Thats 10 dollars per pound!! Where do u get it so cheap?? I didnt see that price in brklyn or.... The cheapest I've seen is 16.99 per pound for harder than normal shmura (tiferes Stam)

$250 for all the other foods you mentioned also seems cheaper than regular...I want to know where salmon and chicken and all.. for 10 ppl cost that cheap...unless you are rationing very little for each person??

Pls tell me ur secret

The matzah was actually $11 per pound and I really hope it’s good because yes it’s cheaper than I’ve ever seen. Someone where I live made a bulk order.
I don’t ration meat or anything but I don’t cook endless quantities, or expensive options. I do one meat dish per meal, and then lots of cheaper vegetable sides. There’s always tons of food, and leftovers for chol hamoed.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:57 am
On erev pesach I put up a crockpot with potatoes, onions and a little meat. I use a package of meat chunks which I cut up even smaller. The men really appreciate a hot meat/potatoes meal...

Last year I made a potato kugel for erev pesach along with a pot of meatballs. We ate at around 3pm. Really kept us going until the Seder...

keym

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:34 am
I spent

10 pounds of matzo for 14 people seems very little. Even if there's no matzah during Chol hamoed, you still need for 2 sedarim and 6 yt seudos.
And $80 for produce? How? If you're stretching. 14 people for 8 days. I've done this. 50 pounds potatoes, 30 pounds onions, 50 pounds carrots, 30 pounds apples, bananas, oranges. That's nothing fancy only cheap produce. But still it adds up. $1/$1.20 per pound.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics