Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
CHAOS IN LAKEWOOD: Hundreds of Yeshiva Bochrim Protest
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Mevater

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 12:59 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Oy, just oy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was supposed to be a pleasant evening of Kosher entertainment for hundreds of Yeshiva Bochrim in Lakewood has turned into night of absolute chaos Sunday night.

The event was going to give the Bochrim currently on Bain Hazmanim a night of entertainment, including live music and singing by Isaac Honig and Beri Weber, along with a Siyum and speeches by several local Mechanichim.

But instead, the event was canceled at the last minute after a small group of people persuaded the Roshei Yeshiva that this event – for Bochrim only – must be stopped at all cost.

The organizer was threatened into canceling, and was shown a “Kol Koreh” that was to be published with his name, banning the event.

The organizers caved, and the event was canceled. Of course, they promise to repay him the nearly $30,000 he lost.

Hundreds of Bochrim were angry as they had already purchased tickets, and decided to make Kumzits/protest at the homes of those who had the event banned.

(Mods, it might be an idea to change the category and make this thread non-publicly visible).

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:15 am
Unbelievable.

And people wonder why kids go OTD...

Mevater

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:16 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Unbelievable.

And people wonder why kids go OTD...

OP here. Exactly my thoughts!

Trust me, from frustration, and disappointment, Im willing to bet some guys went to Manhattan and................

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:36 am
Screwed up. Give the kids a kosher outlet!

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:45 am
Mevater wrote:
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/general/1714627/chaos-in-lakewood-planned-kosher-event-for-yeshiva-bochrim-canceled-at-last-minute-hundreds-of-bochrim-protest-arrests-made.html

Oy, just oy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was supposed to be a pleasant evening of Kosher entertainment for hundreds of Yeshiva Bochrim in Lakewood has turned into night of absolute chaos Sunday night.

The event was going to give the Bochrim currently on Bain Hazmanim a night of entertainment, including live music and singing by Isaac Honig and Beri Weber, along with a Siyum and speeches by several local Mechanichim.

But instead, the event was canceled at the last minute after a small group of people persuaded the Roshei Yeshiva that this event – for Bochrim only – must be stopped at all cost.

The organizer was threatened into canceling, and was shown a “Kol Koreh” that was to be published with his name, banning the event.

The organizers caved, and the event was canceled. Of course, they promise to repay him the nearly $30,000 he lost.

Hundreds of Bochrim were angry as they had already purchased tickets, and decided to make Kumzits/protest at the homes of those who had the event banned.

(Mods, it might be an idea to change the category and make this thread non-publicly visible).

Shoulda gone to Coachella.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 3:09 am
Just sad... some bitter people want everyone bitter.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:13 am
I got a text this morning from DS's yeshiva:
"Hagaon R' Shmuel Kaminetzky Shlit"a and the gedoilei Roshei Yeshivahs have come out strongly against tonight's kumzitz. Absolutely no bochur from Yeshiva XYZ should attend."

Thank goodness. I'd never want my son here.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 4:28 am
I don't understand. What is wrong with a kosher concert? Were they concerned about bittul zman, when all the songs and shiurim are Torah based?

little neshamala

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:00 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
"Hagaon R' Shmuel Kaminetzky Shlit"a and the gedoilei Roshei Yeshivahs have come out strongly against tonight's kumzitz. Absolutely no bochur from Yeshiva XYZ should attend."

These "askanim" often greatly exagerrate/lie about what the event will entail, prompting the Roshei Yeshiva to respond that way. Im willing to bet the Roshei Yeshiva were misinformed, or that their response itself was greatly exagerrated.

chestnut

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:05 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

Why wouldn't you want your son at that concert? Do you object to the singers? Or to the fact that your son would enjoy himself with kosher entertainment during bein hazmanim?

chestnut

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:06 am
You know, people who persuaded the rabbis are bitter and disgusting, no doubt. But it does say lots about the rabbonim who went along and let themselves of being persuaded

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:15 am
That's the trouble: Growing up in Brooklyn, I often felt that "the rabbanim" were out of touch, and acting far from their role as community leaders, whenever a new, ridiculous proclamation was published.

Today, I now know that many times signatures are forged. Even if one of the famous rabbanim did decree something, they are often removed from society, and thus are vulnerable to a distortion of reality.

But that doesn't help me trust their opinions.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:29 am
These things make me so angry. They don't let the boys attend kosher entertainment, but then get upset when they go to inappropriate places. Do they really expect the boys to sit home???
There are the Yiddish Interin plays on chol hamoed, Satmer doesn't allow the boys to attend. It's 100% kosher entertainment with mashgichim around. Do you know where all these satmer boys end up spending chol hamoed??? At kalahari and camelback gawking at ladies in bikinis!!!!!! And the cheder has no right to blame the boys, they're forbidden to attend the kosher entertainment and they won't sit home all day! The priorities are so mixed up, it's crazy. They're so buzy saying no to everything and zapping the life out of the kids, that they don't even think anymore before saying no, it's automatically a no. Sad.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:38 am
You know, I had some issues with the article I'm linking: was this necessary to be said, that necessary...But now I know why. Because the message is really important for all our posters to consider and digest.

https://cross-currents.com/201.....hero/

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:44 am
Pardon my ignorance, but why do Bochurim need entertainment erev pesach? Is there not enough for them to do at home?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:46 am
chestnut wrote:
You know, people who persuaded the rabbis are bitter and disgusting, no doubt. But it does say lots about the rabbonim who went along and let themselves of being persuaded

I know, this bothers me so much. I really want to respect our rabbonim and to teach my kids to respect them, and I think in a lot of ways they deserve our respect, but when they let themselves be convinced by people and don't check things out on their own, it's hard to have the same respect. And we see this happen again and again.

How can I teach my kids to respect rabbonim who listen blindly to a couple of idiots?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:50 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but why do Bochurim need entertainment erev pesach? Is there not enough for them to do at home?

There's a limit to how much we can expect our sons to work for us. Besides how much do you really need their help? I let my sons know when I expect their help and what they need to do, and they're really bored a lot of the time. They're so used to their lives being completely scheduled, they don't know how to use their free time anymore.

So they want to go out with their friends and have fun, who can blame them? They get just a few weeks vacation in a whole year, they deserve to enjoy it. I would be much more relaxed knowing my sons are at such a concert/kumzitz rather than hanging around somewhere with their friends.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:55 am
Notsobusy wrote:
There's a limit to how much we can expect our sons to work for us. Besides how much do you really need their help? I let my sons know when I expect their help and what they need to do, and they're really bored a lot of the time. They're so used to their lives being completely scheduled, they don't know how to use their free time anymore.

So they want to go out with their friends and have fun, who can blame them? They get just a few weeks vacation in a whole year, they deserve to enjoy it. I would be much more relaxed knowing my sons are at such a concert/kumzitz rather than hanging around somewhere with their friends.

I suppose I can't relate to that. I don't have older boys and in my house my brothers were part of the Pesach prep like everyone else. I guess also being Chabad, they weren't home every year for pesach as they were making sedarim in remote places so when they were home, my mother made sure they experienced Pesach prep in its full glory.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:00 am
Amother amber, I think it was supposed to be some sort of siyum.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:02 am
Notsobusy wrote:
There's a limit to how much we can expect our sons to work for us.

I'm curious: do you give your daughters the same license to freedom?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics