Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Going away for Pesach and giving house to neighbor
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:17 am
How do you feel about giving your house to neighbor if you are going away for Pesach?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:18 am
Would never consider it. We don’t clean for Pesach so that’s an automatic disqualifier

abound

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:19 am
Happy too, but I would not give all the rooms < I would not clean extra for them unless I had the time.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:31 am
I don't like having people in my home when I'm not there. I have some valuables/precious objects.

I'd also be worried about them traifing up my kitchen.

If I had a guesthouse with nothing in it, I'd be happy to let ppl stay, but not in my main house.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:32 am
Nope, I can't even handle the thought of others being in my house when we're not home. You can never know how they will behave....

cm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:37 am
By "giving," do you mean allowing people to stay there, or do you mean actually giving it away (like selling it) in lieu of cleaning/kashering?

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:39 am
If I am going away for Pesach I am not cleaning for Pesach. I also don't feel comfortable having strangers in my house when I am not there.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:42 am
Wouldn't do it. Not as a favor and not for a fee either. The idea of strangers in my house unsupervised freaks me out. Particularly if there are small kids involved. But even adults can be a disaster. My friends rented out their house for sukkos to a couple with only two teenaged children with them and I can't begin to tell you the state of their house at the end of YT.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:43 am
I wouldn't do it unless I knew the people.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:47 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Wouldn't do it. Not as a favor and not for a fee either. The idea of strangers in my house unsupervised freaks me out. Particularly if there are small kids involved. But even adults can be a disaster. My friends rented out their house for sukkos to a couple with only two teenaged children with them and I can't begin to tell you the state of their house at the end of YT.

They are not paying a penny to use house

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:48 am
Depends on the situation. We are letting our friends use the downstairs of our place for their family to stay. We are not kashering anything and will clean how we normally do before leaving

nw11

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:57 am
I have done it a few times on condition that it's bedrooms and bathroom only, kitchen is sold and out of bounds. The house has always been left in a clean and acceptable state, but what blew me over was the lack of appreciation. Besides for once, our guests never even bothered leaving a note, never mind a token gift. We worked hard to clean and prepare the place (even sans kitchen) and I do it because it's a chessed, but a "thank you" afterwards would make it more palatable.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:59 am
We've done it. We clean for Pesach and get rid of chametz no matter what. I just tell them which rooms to use and lock up anything I don't want them to see. We've only had good experiences.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you feel about giving your house to neighbor if you are going away for Pesach?

How you do you feel?

SisterSix

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:05 am
It’s a nice chessed. If I was just going away for part of YT, and therefore cleaning anyway, and particularly trust that neighbor on their judgment of who to put there - maybe.

I’d quicker do it for someone not paying, if they pay they feel more like they have a “right” to leave the house in bad condition.

flmommy

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:10 am
Would only do it if I needed the $ and rented it. Too big of a favor IMHO.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:10 am
nw11 wrote:
I have done it a few times on condition that it's bedrooms and bathroom only, kitchen is sold and out of bounds. The house has always been left in a clean and acceptable state, but what blew me over was the lack of appreciation. Besides for once, our guests never even bothered leaving a note, never mind a token gift. We worked hard to clean and prepare the place (even sans kitchen) and I do it because it's a chessed, but a "thank you" afterwards would make it more palatable.

I can't fathom the sense of entitlement of people who would be extended the kindness of free housing and not leave a hostess gift - let alone not even a thank you.

If I stay somewhere - heck if I eat at someone's home, I bring something. That is how I was raised - as the saying goes - were these people raised by wolves? Rolling Eyes

And in answer to the original question, I wouldn't let a stranger use my home if I weren't there. The idea of someone having access to snoop makes me nervous. The only people who I would extend that to would be my family and a few close friends who are almost like family to me - and that's only because these are peopleI have mutual "refrigerator" privileges - I.e. we are close enough so that they don't have to ask (and I don't either) if we want to get a piece of fruit or a drink from their refrigerator.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:18 am
There is no way I would do this for strangers.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:30 am
I would not. I wouldn't even do it for sibilings. I know it sounds mean, but I'm very generous and nice. I wouldn't let even my siblings because everyone has a different standard of cleanliness in terms of food and where it goes. I am very strict to only eat in kitchen or dining room and a lot of ppl like to eat or let little kids schlep food /soda all over. I'm the only one who cleans and this makes me nervous because I'm afraid of roaches or bugs...and just thinking of little kids walking around with pesach cookies/cherrios all over the house....some ppl are fine with this thinking they'll clean it after...but I'm not.

Its hard for me to really explain the above but I would more readily give money to my sibilings(and I have) then let them stay in my house without me there. Now, this is all assuming they have a home and are not homeless.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:31 am
Where I live a lot of people rent their homes for pesach. Personally, it's way out of my comfort zone to have strangers staying in my home, so we don't do it even if we'll be away. I've also heard plenty of stories where people rented out and had damage etc. It's not for me. Definitely can't see doing it for free. A basement, sure, but not my living areas.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics