Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Love the look of makeup but hate how stuff on my face

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 12:02 pm
So I'm torn.
I love the look of makeup but hate how it feels especially after 8 hours. I usually wear bare minerals, which is natural, light and Comfy but doesn't last for shabbos or yom tov.
Dh prefers me natural; he likes how I look without makeup. He doesn't like seeing dried lips/crumbling makeup/mascara from up close. Neither do I to be honest but I do feel like I need some color on yom tov!
If I do just blush, it doesn't last.
Any ideas?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:13 pm
I feel similarly to you - want a little color/coverage but hate what makeup does to my skin and how it disintegrates on my face over extended periods of time. My tips:
- Self-tanner for a little color. It works overnight so I put it on before Shabbos/yt and the next day I’m a little more golden. For more color, use it for a couple days leading up to yom tov as well. I use Clarins Liquid Bronze Self Tanning.
- I’m ok with cleaning up the mascara bits the next morning, but some mascaras are definitely better than others with this. L’Oréal Voluminous sheds a lot. Less volumizing mascaras are better. You can also try a tubing mascara, thought I have no experience with them. The formula coats the lashes in little “tubes” and apparently doesn’t come off without a waterproof eye makeup remover. I would skip mascara entirely if you have dark lashes to begin with and don’t like the way it crumbles.
- I like to use dark pencil eyeliner above and beneath my eye (smudged a little), and topped with a little line of dark eye shadow so that it sets better. You will need to wipe away a little the next day under your eye, but you’ll still have some color around the eye. This and the self-tanner are my favorite ways to wear makeup over Shabbos or yom tov, as they add color without getting gross-looking.
- Don’t overdo it on the eye shadow. Better to use only a matte cream shadow or none at all. The shimmer or glitter tends to migrate around the face a lot when worn overnight, and looks grimey the next day. Same goes for all shimmery products.
- All the long-lasting lip products, in my experience, wear off dry and crumbly. Better to use a lip stain or just apply lipstick several times and blot with a tissue in between layers. Darker/brighter colors will obviously show for longer. But I don’t find that anything really lasts nicely after eating or overnight.
- Minimize use of powder. Cream color products that are worked into the skin, like cream bronzer or blush, look better than powder when worn over extended periods (thought won’t necessarily last as long) - the finish is more natural and doesn’t wear away patchily.
- Unless you’re using something super high coverage (which is not great for your skin to sleep in), foundation always comes off overnight, and usually not very evenly. I wear a thin layer and rinse and wipe my face before bed, and I don’t expect it to be there the next morning.
In general, makeup is not created to be worn for very long, and certainly not overnight, so it will always look worse the next day. Better off erring on the side of too little. I really cut down on my Shabbos/yt foundation/concealer usage because I can see an immediate effect on my skin. Groomed eyebrows and healthy skin make the biggest difference when you can’t apply makeup on yom tov.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 1:21 pm
Shabbos makeup! I use every y"t. By the end of day 1, I am ready to scrub everything away. So I do, and I sleep with my bare, breathing face, and it's wonderful. Next morning, I put on some shabbos eyeliner, shabbos highlighter, shabbos blush, and shabbos lipstick, and I look fresh as anything.
Before y"t, sometimes I apply falsies or get lash extensions. Sometimes, I wear super waterproof mascara, so that at least my lashes look made up even after I wash my face.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics