Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Clothing pick up/drop off

momaholic

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:18 am
Is there anywhere that picks up or has dropoff for good clothing in Flatbush?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:51 am
Pick Purple

soap suds

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:53 am
Pick purple officially only picks up if you have a minimum of 3 bags, but they did come pick up one bag from me. Worth trying either way.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:54 am
Just beware that the clothes you donate are then sold for pennies per pound and those pennies are what you're donating to pick purple only.
Other places could be worse and they don't even use those penny profits for charity.
Find someone who will use and enjoy your clothes.

momaholic

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:03 am
I originally scheduled Pick Purple but, they said no men’s clothing. I found a chesed center that picks up as well. Then pick Purple said we do take mens but, it was too late.

soap suds

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
Just beware that the clothes you donate are then sold for pennies per pound and those pennies are what you're donating to pick purple only.
Other places could be worse and they don't even use those penny profits for charity.

I thought Pick Purple did use the clothes. That's why I called them rather than drop it into the local "truck" parked nearby before y"t.
Do you know of someone who does pickups and actually uses the clothes? Some of the things DD has outgrown are in practically perfect condition.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 10:49 am
This is from their website:

“All clothing donated to Pick Purple is sorted and put to use based on its condition. Clothing is reused in the used clothing market, servicing needy people with affordable clothing. All profits generate funds for Batya, a program dedicated to empowering teenage girls, creating the leaders of the next generation.”

Read between the lines. They sell the clothes they receive by the pound for next to nothing. Whatever they make off the sale goes to the Batya program. The place they sell it to sorts the clothes, sells what's good in second hand thrift stores, and makes their profit that way.
Nothing wrong with that but if you want your clothes to be donated straight to someone who needs it in the community this isn't the way to go.

I learned the hard way.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 2:33 pm
I give my used clothing and toys to Aishel Shabbat 718-485-0672. They will come for even one bag

chestnut

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 2:59 pm
Chessed Gemach
(347) 837-8256
On their site, it says they distribute to different gemachim in the US and Israel

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 3:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:

It bothers me when donating clothes that the nicest items are picked through by the volunteers first. I would prefer my stuff to go to the neediest.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 3:28 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
It bothers me when donating clothes that the nicest items are picked through by the volunteers first. I would prefer my stuff to go to the neediest.

The Brooklyn places don't have enough volunteers and the clothes don't get picked through at all. Just dumped.
Unless you know that people are pickling up clothes to wear, from the same place you donated too, know that your brethren are not benefitting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries