Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying solo with 3 little kids -- bad idea?
Previous  1  2

challahchallah

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:03 pm
If possible, I'd try to get help with luggage in the airport. Can your husband or a friend drive you, park, and help you check in the luggage? Can your family on the other side meet you at baggage claim to help you gather your things? I think that would alleviate a lot of the stress.

happymom123

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:03 pm
For me it would really depend on what's waiting for me when I arrive. Is your family willing to take the kids for a few hours so you can breathe and sleep off the travel? Or will you be thrown straight off the plane into parenting kids out of their regular environment while you're all tired and out of sorts?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:04 am
If you are getting a budget flight, make SURE you get all your seats booked together. Once you arrive, they may tell you that you can't pick your seats, and that you've been assigned all over the plane. Then people have to move seats to get your kids back to you.

Once an airline wanted to seat 5yo DD far away from me because the plane was full. I told them "She is REALLY chatty. Are you sure you want to do this?" They somehow managed to find a seat next to me very quickly. LOL

Metukah

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are getting a budget flight, make SURE you get all your seats booked together. Once you arrive, they may tell you that you can't pick your seats, and that you've been assigned all over the plane. Then people have to move seats to get your kids back to you.

Once an airline wanted to seat 5yo DD far away from me because the plane was full. I told them "She is REALLY chatty. Are you sure you want to do this?" They somehow managed to find a seat next to me very quickly. LOL

I actually think it would be great to let them try.
Who wants to sit next to someone else's unattended kids on a flight? Not only will people be running to change, but, op will find that people will vacate the seats near her if the flight is not full, so she may end up having some empty seats.

Whenever I flew budget, I never pre booked seats. It was never a problem.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:40 pm
I would never ever do it. I once traveled alone with a one year old. It was disaster and I had someone on the plane that offered to help me. So no way jose, for sure not 3.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:48 pm
I personally stopped when I was juggling luggage & kids + one needed the bathroom & peed on the floor - stood there helplessly & cried [honestly would rather change a tire on the side of the highway]

since that disaster I always drove - you go from one location to the other without trying to juggle

kids need to pee

kids get kvetchy

airports long waits everywhere ... a 2 hour flight can easily turn into 6 ... drive to airport - be there early - wait for luggage - drive from airport

in a car, you call all the shots: when to stop, when to eat, etc.

also - well with older kids - you can make an adventure out of it by stopping along the way

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:55 pm
challahchallah wrote:
If possible, I'd try to get help with luggage in the airport. Can your husband or a friend drive you, park, and help you check in the luggage? Can your family on the other side meet you at baggage claim to help you gather your things? I think that would alleviate a lot of the stress.

Yes, DH would take me to the airport and my parents would pick me up on the other end. I don't think I would ask them to come inside with me. They could, but it would be more trouble than it's worth I think.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, DH would take me to the airport and my parents would pick me up on the other end. I don't think I would ask them to come inside with me. They could, but it would be more trouble than it's worth I think.

The airport is going to be the hardest part.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
The airport is going to be the hardest part.

Disagree Smile I definitely find the flight the most challenging, assuming you're organized in the airport.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:14 pm
Amother mint, it depends on the flight. For a 2 hour flight the airport is the hardest part. The plane itself is no different and maybe easier than a 2 hour bus ride.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics