Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
I think I ruined my corn beef...

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:51 am
I’ve been making corn beef for years. I have a recipe with a really delicious sauce. I usually make this a few times a year for yomtov.
I was reading on other corn beef threads that people boil their corn beef and then bake it for a short while in a sauce. I have always rinsed off my corn beef and cooked in sauce for 3-4 hours. I decided to try the boiling method this time. I wish I didn’t. After the meat cooled I tasted a drop of it and it is completely bland tasting. Tasteless. I know I was still supposed to slice and cook in sauce but I wasn’t sure what to do at that point. I sprinkled some salt, onion powder and garlic powder and left in fridge overnight. If anyone has any good ideas, please advise! So frustrating because I boiled 2 corn beefs. Both now taste identical. No taste at all. Any way to salvage this?

ladYdI

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:09 am
Not ruined! It sounds like it wasn’t pickled, which some ppl don’t use on pesach. But either way when you slice it and bake it in sauce it will get flavor.
Try wine, onions, salt, pepper or any spices or sauce you usually make or if you use any bought sauces.
Or make or buy duck sauce

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:18 am
Save the broth from cooking the corned beef in and add salt, fresh cut garlic and pickling spices. Taste the broth to make sure it's super flavorful. Let the roasts sit in it for a day.

SYA

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:23 am
I find the meat gets the rich taste not so much when I cook it. Rather, when I reheat it. Put it in the sauce it was cooked in and add spices as desired, or try the sauce the from the recipe. Let it marinate for a few hours and then simmer covered in a deep frying pan for 1.5-2 hours.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:32 am
Thank you!

I already threw out the water it boiled in 🤨.

I left the meat overnight in the fridge with salt and spices. I hope it’s not too salty now! Later I will cook with sauce.

It definitely did say corned beef silver tip roast on both packages I cooked. I will not try new recipes in the future with expensive meat when I am having guests!

Last edited by lkwdlady on Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

jflower

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:32 am
I think it'll all turn out fine. I make the following sauce every YT (but without the ginger or lemon juice.) Smear on your roast and let it marinate in the fridge until you're ready to heat it up. A guaranteed hit!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....77421

sky

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:49 am
What sauce are you using for pesach?

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:11 am
sky wrote:
What sauce are you using for pesach?

I make my own-
Sorry I don’t usually measure but I’ll try to figure it out-

Bring to boil in saucepan

1 cup brown sugar