Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Am I supposed to tip at hair salon?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:20 am
Do you tip at a hair salon? How much?
Is it different for different jobs done?
For example a girls haircut? Sheitel wash and set? How about if I do both at one visit? Do I tip double...
Is it more if you get the sheitel cut A little? Like just the split ends.
Thanks in advance?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:22 am
The rule I learned is that yes, you tip. You tip the stylist and the person who washes your hair. The exception is if it's the salon owner or self-employed sheitel macher. No need to tip someone who is keeping 100% of what they're charging you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:28 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
The rule I learned is that yes, you tip. You tip the stylist and the person who washes your hair. The exception is if it's the salon owner or self-employed sheitel macher. No need to tip someone who is keeping 100% of what they're charging you.

Thanks.
So about how much to each person? What if its 2 girls? And how much for wig?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:29 am
I usually give the hairstylists $1 each when I take my girls for haircuts.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:35 am
20% or $5, whichever is more, to the stylist, plus another couple of dollars to the person who washes hair.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:36 am
I tip 20% for beauty services and divide that amount between the people who do the work.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:39 am
I usually tip around 15%, like $5 for a $35 wash and blow dry.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 6:00 am
no

justmarried

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 6:04 am
I always tipped when going to the salon as a girl, and tip when getting a mani...

However I never tipped when I got my wig done. I just didn’t think it was done. I hope I wasn’t supposed to be tipping my sheitelmafjer all these years.

Most of them own their own places, so I don’t think it was important to tip. But they often have a diff woman who washes the wig and preps it

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 7:08 am
justmarried wrote:
I always tipped when going to the salon as a girl, and tip when getting a mani...

However I never tipped when I got my wig done. I just didn’t think it was done. I hope I wasn’t supposed to be tipping my sheitelmafjer all these years.

Most of them own their own places, so I don’t think it was important to tip. But they often have a diff woman who washes the wig and preps it

As posted, I don't tip owners of the salon so I think this would be true if the sheitel macher owns the place which you would probably know. For many years I used a woman for hair care who owned her place and I never tipped but would give her a birthday present and a holiday present.

I would tip the lady who preps and washes because it is the same rationale that one would tip an assistant to a person who owns the salon.

I do tend to be a generous tipper (20%) because in general the women who do my mani/pedicure or wax my eyebrows are not well off financially and so the extra dollar or so makes a big difference to them and not to me. I also tend to like to go to the same people and I find that they go out of their way when I need something - but my rationale is more that this is very hardworking women who don't have a lot of income rather than doing it in a tit for tat expectation of getting something other than being content that I can afford to be generous to nice women.

If the services were extremely expensive - I.e. some of my secular friends can spend $300 or $400 for a cut and color, I wouldn't tip 20%. Probably not rational but the stylists are making much more money than my manicurists and so a $45 tip (15%) is more than adequate. I would still tip the assistant a few dollars separately since they are probably going home with significantly less money.

sra

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:54 am
I give a dollar or two, sometimes 5$

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:59 am
For haircuts for my kids, and when I go for mani/pedi I tip 15-20%. I don't feel the need to tip at this rate when I go get waxed though. The cost is higher and the service is much shorter duration. So I'm not going to give someone (based on $100 charge) a $20 tip for spending 10-15 minutes waxing me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette