Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
For all who are making Pesach w/o money tell me you secret
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:36 pm
Thank you all for everyone concern.
B"h a check came in the mail so I was able to buy what I needed.

Thank you all for everyone generosity this is what will bring moshiach.

Naturalmom5 and happyone if I have to think about PMing you not sure I feel comfortable outing my screen name. but thank you

And by the way Evergreen has a dozen eggs for 99 cents.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:39 pm
So much of grocery pricing is regional. By us meat and chicken is more expensive but regular groceries are way cheaper.
Our local grocery just had 18 eggs on sale for 88 cents. Potatoes are around $1.50 for 5 lbs. Red peppers 3 for $1. So I easily spend less then $100 on produce

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:13 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I also make gefilte fish and don’t serve salmon at every meal. I bought about 5 pounds of salmon I think, and it was maybe about $8-9 a pound?
Chicken was $1.89/lb.
I bought corned beef and French roast and will serve the meat mostly at the day meals when I have fewer people. So I didn’t buy tons.
I don’t mind the questions. It’s not like I’m doing anything wrong although the interrogation does make it seem like that. Very Happy

Good for you! I do feel like everyone is being really hard on you. The prices where you live sound really reasonable. I don’t think you can get any chicken where I live for under $3.50 lb but produce is very reasonable where I live so I guess it evens out?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:20 pm
I also make gefilte fish and don’t serve salmon at every meal. I bought about 5 pounds of salmon I think, and it was maybe about $8-9 a pound?
Chicken was $1.89/lb.
I bought corned beef and French roast and will serve the meat mostly at the day meals when I have fewer people. So I didn’t buy tons.
I don’t mind the questions. It’s not like I’m doing anything wrong although the interrogation does make it seem like that. Very Happy

Ion just shocked, maybe impressed but mostly confused. To be fair we are really big eaters (dh and I, bh not overweight but tall and active but still) I know ur produce and mine wouldn’t compare cuz we don’t eat carbs all year so the veggie add up but the protein. I feel like it adds up quickly. Then again probably 80% of my spending goes to veggies and fruits (I’m also expecting Bh so if I see cherries I’m getting themmm, haven’t seen in forever)

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 8:28 pm
OP, I really think that everyone has the best of intentions and the reason why they sound like they are coming after you is because if of the "Is this for real?!" feeling, and if it is they all want to spend Pesach in your neck of he woods where prices are so much cheaper than where they are. You're actually very lucky you can pull it off.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:07 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
That sounds insanely cheap. We are five ppl and Yom tov will probably cost close to 2k.

That sounds insanely expensive unless you are including clothing. We are a mother and daughter, and I would estimate food, cleaning and paper products, and misc (like plastic containers) will come to $500. My daughter needs new shoes anyway so she is getting those, as well as a new sweater to go with a skirt she already has, "lekovod yom tov."

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:30 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, I really think that everyone has the best of intentions and the reason why they sound like they are coming after you is because if of the "Is this for real?!" feeling, and if it is they all want to spend Pesach in your neck of he woods where prices are so much cheaper than where they are. You're actually very lucky you can pull it off.

I’m not OP but I assume you’re talking to me (the I-can’t-believe-it’s-so-cheap-amother). I actually did my big order from All Fresh so I shop in your neck of the woods. Smile

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:31 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Ion just shocked, maybe impressed but mostly confused. To be fair we are really big eaters (dh and I, bh not overweight but tall and active but still) I know ur produce and mine wouldn’t compare cuz we don’t eat carbs all year so the veggie add up but the protein. I feel like it adds up quickly. Then again probably 80% of my spending goes to veggies and fruits (I’m also expecting Bh so if I see cherries I’m getting themmm, haven’t seen in forever)

We eat a ton of vegetables during the year that we don’t eat on Pesach - broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans, etc. That would definitely raise the produce bill if I could use those for Pesach.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 9:53 pm
I’m not OP but I assume you’re talking to me (the I-can’t-believe-it’s-so-cheap-amother). I actually did my big order from All Fresh so I shop in your neck of the woods. Smile

I am looking for cheaper pineapple and nicer oranges than what they had at All Fresh but they had some decent prices on some of the produce.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:00 pm
I went to some food pantries in brooklyn. They give so little. I didnt try masbia but I hobe kasbia and tomche shabbes are better.
Please PM the ones who ofered to help . It worked wonders for me. Everyone was super confidential. Yael verified me by info I gave of people who know me. You need help from the sisters here STAT! Im entering yom tov in a much better mood. The feeling of such a tight impossible budget is really horrible. Please accept help to improve the situation. You will feel better.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 11:38 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
That sounds insanely expensive unless you are including clothing. We are a mother and daughter, and I would estimate food, cleaning and paper products, and misc (like plastic containers) will come to $500. My daughter needs new shoes anyway so she is getting those, as well as a new sweater to go with a skirt she already has, "lekovod yom tov."

I am.home most of Yom tov. I enjoy cooking and baking and do lots of baking for my extended family. My initial grocery and meat order was $1000, that is without produce. But I got all.meat and chicken. To be fair I bought a nice amount, but honestly not a ton. Was one full cart..... I make certain things that are just expensive. Almond butter is $13-$14 a bottle and I got 5. I make them into cookies. I did buy almond flour. Etc.
I don't have so much stuff and food in my house and spent a lot. Food is way more expensive pesach time.

That figure included some household stuff I needed to buy and some clothing. Without that stuff, probably closer to 1500.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:37 pm
OP, I'm so happy that you're yeshua came quickly. You should have ah kasherin freilichen yom tov!

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:44 pm
when you hear these situations in times like pesach, I have to give a shout out to Cleveland, matan b'sayser & kemach ... they really give food and things in a way that we feel like everybody else - ordered & delivered or picked up so you get what you need for your particular family

I am humbled & grateful for all they do !!!

when I am in brooklyn like this year & the past few pesachs taking care of my mama, I do not have the same gifts of making yom tov bearable ~ although the Rav makes sure I get matzah wherever I am

Last edited by greenfire on Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:49 pm
800$ should be more than enough if you stick to basics instead of lots of meat.

We eat potatoes and eggs, vegetables and fruit, (apples, bananas etc). Chicken or fish only for YT and shabbos.
Everyone got one new clothing for second day YT and I bought on sale.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:57 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am.home most of Yom tov. I enjoy cooking and baking and do lots of baking for my extended family. My initial grocery and meat order was $1000, that is without produce. But I got all.meat and chicken. To be fair I bought a nice amount, but honestly not a ton. Was one full cart..... I make certain things that are just expensive. Almond butter is $13-$14 a bottle and I got 5. I make them into cookies. I did buy almond flour. Etc.
I don't have so much stuff and food in my house and spent a lot. Food is way more expensive pesach time.

That figure included some household stuff I needed to buy and some clothing. Without that stuff, probably closer to 1500.

Meat and chicken: about $70. That's a big tray each of chicken thighs and cutlets at costco, plus a pkg of ground meat for meatballs, a steak for London broil salad, and a turkey breast quarter.

Produce : about $150. Almost all of it is from Costco.

Wine and grapejuice: $80

Matzah: $150

Products needing hashgacha like tea, potato starch, coffee, jam, chocolate (critical! !), etc: $80.

Fish: $40

That's under $600. We eat very well for that. An appetizer, a protein (two when we have guests) and 3 or 4 side dishes per meal. I don't bake a huge amount but there is a baked dessert and a cut up fruit platter at every meal. If I had unlimited $ I would buy a couple of roasts and serve steak one night of chol hamoed. And it would be fun to experiment with almond flour. But these are elegant, delicious yom tovdik meals, and I honestly can't think of much else that I would want if I could afford it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Meat and chicken: about $70. That's a big tray each of chicken thighs and cutlets at costco, plus a pkg of ground meat for meatballs, a steak for London broil salad, and a turkey breast quarter.

Produce : about $150. Almost all of it is from Costco.

Wine and grapejuice: $80

Matzah: $150

Products needing hashgacha like tea, potato starch, coffee, jam, chocolate (critical! !), etc: $80.

Fish: $40

That's under $600. We eat very well for that. An appetizer, a protein (two when we have guests) and 3 or 4 side dishes per meal. I don't bake a huge amount but there is a baked dessert and a cut up fruit platter at every meal. If I had unlimited $ I would buy a couple of roasts and serve steak one night of chol hamoed. And it would be fun to experiment with almond flour. But these are elegant, delicious yom tovdik meals, and I honestly can't think of much else that I would want if I could afford it.

Cooking for 2 is an entirely different story. You really can't compare.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:28 pm
FYI ~ Moisha's on Avenue M in brooklyn still has 15 dozen eggs [by the case] for $11.99 + other good sales for pesach

https://moishas.com/weekly-specials/

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
10 pounds shmura for $100!!! Thats 10 dollars per pound!! Where do u get it so cheap?? I didnt see that price in brklyn or.... The cheapest I've seen is 16.99 per pound for harder than normal shmura (tiferes Stam)

I spent a F O R T U N E on Matzah this year and bought one box of cheap Tiferes Shmura (in a yellow box w a picture of Matzas) at Moishas in Flatbush. Its very thin and E X C E L L E N T !!!! Under $20 a pound!!! Its MUCH better than some of the expensive Matzahs like Lakewood regular. Its the first Israeli Matza I've tasted thats actually good, and it was crazy cheap.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 12:50 pm
Chicken was $1.89/lb.

Omg! Those prices sound amazing!
Here gefilte fish is $9 a loaf, salmon $10-11 a pound, and chicken is $3.59 a pound. ($7 for cutlets). Explains why my protein budget comes out to double yours...

Eggs here are $3 a dozen or so. Plus we have a few egg (and dairy) allergic members, limiting protein sources.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 1:00 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Omg! Those prices sound amazing!
Here gefilte fish is $9 a loaf, salmon $10-11 a pound, and chicken is $3.59 a pound. ($7 for cutlets). Explains why my protein budget comes out to double yours...

Eggs here are $3 a dozen or so. Plus we have a few egg (and dairy) allergic members, limiting protein sources.

Those prices are from 3 years ago.. this thread is from 2019.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics