Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I can’t iron My girls uniform skirt pleats-help

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:30 pm
How to iron pleats so they STAY SHARP- I hang them to dry. Then what- ironing with steam, without, with starch, without- nothing makes the pleats stay. They look like circus tents billowing out.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:35 pm
Turn the skirt inside out. Ok now this sounds weird - but it works. Tape down the pleats on the bottom of the inside of the skirt, almost like a hem going all the way around, with masking tape. Now you can iron down the skirt inside out very easily!

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:40 pm
Masking tape doesn’t burn? Or melt ? Sounds cool

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:40 pm
Wait- steam? Starch?

ROFL

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:08 pm
Brings me back many years ago. We actually used straight pins and pinned the pleats onto ironing board and that helped keep them straight

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:26 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Masking tape doesn’t burn? Or melt ? Sounds cool

I you basically iron the rest of the skirt first and when you get to the bottom you can start peeling off as you go. The tape can handle a bit of the iron. But don't go heavy on ironing on top of the tape.

cookiewriter wrote:
Wait- steam? Starch?

Neither.

Learning

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:37 am
I just bring it to the dry clean from time to time and they iron it. It lasts for a pretty long time even after I wash it. I also try not to wash it too often. It’s only a skirt. It doesn’t get that dirty.

salt

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:47 am
My DDs roll their pleated skirt up into a long kind of roll, and slide it into a stocking and tie a knot - it looks like a kind of long snake. That's how they put it in the washing machine. It's meant to keep the pleats. Then, when it comes out the wash, they hang it up to dry, and we don't iron them.
That's how they say it keeps the pleats. I have no idea if it's true, but they're happy with doing that, and it means I don't need to iron them Smile
They wash them once a week.
The pleats seem farily in tact.
I usually buy new ones every 2 years, or even 3 if they're still long enough.

soap suds

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:52 am
ra_mom wrote:
Turn the skirt inside out. Ok now this sounds weird - but it works. Tape down the pleats on the bottom of the inside of the skirt, almost like a hem going all the way around, with masking tape. Now you can iron down the skirt inside out very easily!

I like this idea. I used to pin the pleats before ironing, but that's very time consuming.
Masking tape sounds so much simpler.

real israeli

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:00 am
I usually just straighten the jumper so the pleats are in place but “puffy”. Then I take a thin rag/piece of fabric and make it wet (squeeze it out so it’s damp not soaked) and lay it over the uniform. With the steam on I iron the uniform in a downward direction - from the top of the pleat to the bottom. Takes 30 seconds and when I take the fabric off it looks gorgeous. I use the fabric because I once ironed without it and burned a hole in her jumper. Lesson learned; it can’t tolerate high heat directly.

Shuly

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 7:26 pm
I wash on a delicate cycle and hang on a hanger to dry. They don't need ironing.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:29 pm
I just want to know what kind of a sadist decided that pleats were a good idea in the first place? Twisted Evil

As if moms didn't have enough to do already. Mad

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:15 pm
Op here. Was trying today together with the housekeeper. Pleats did not hold. Wondering what I’m doing wrong. I used clips, ironed without steam, with starch. Btw thanks BYA- box pleats are DOUBLE THE PLEATS. 😰. Anyway nothing worked.

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:15 pm
Could it be fabric softener makes the pleats not hold- does anyone know? (I’m the OP)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:19 pm
Some babrics just don't hold pleats. Like wool blends that a lot of the uniform skirts are made out of. Polyester plain navy pleated skirts are easier to maintain.

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:21 pm
They r polyester
So grateful to all who are trying to help!! I’m sure I’ll solve this. I hope lol

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:11 pm
Are you washing with cold water, on a quick cycle, with like fabrics, and shaking out and hanging up immediately?
I also wouldn't use softener.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry