Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Gift / Treat for Bachurim at Seder?

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:54 am
This year I'm helping to organise a communal seder and bachurim from a (chabad) yeshiva are being brought in to help with the setting up as well as bringing the food etc during the seder itself, as well as the clean up. I feel badly for these bachurim because pesach is such a family orientated chag and they'll be spending it in a very secular city and basically working for it (although I know that they want to and it's shlichut etc - but still).

I wanted to do something nice for them, maybe some kind of treat at the seder or something for their table. Any ideas?

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:58 am
No ideas, but I just want to point out how thoughtful that is of you!

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 2:01 am
groisamomma wrote:
No ideas, but I just want to point out how thoughtful that is of you!

Aw, many thanks groisamomma! I think it's my mom side thinking of how I'd feel if my son was away for the chag instead of being with me. Hoping to find out what their sleeping arrangements are, maybe I can make a KLP cake for the morning after the seder or something

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:20 am
Just be aware that the minhagim for Pesach - especially in Chabad - are all over the board, so if they don't eat your cake, you shouldn't feel bad! (We used to have a bochur for Pesach who wouldn't eat any sugar, my mother would make him special applesauce, special fish.)

Either way I'm sure they will appreciate the gesture very much.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:25 am
That's such a nice thought!

They do consider it an honor and a privilege, but it's always nice to be appreciated.

I would stay away from any kind of food on Pesach. Any other time of year I'd say go for it, but on Pesach they would probably not be able to eat it. Most Chabad won't eat anything made by other ppl - including other Chabad families - on Pesach.

I'm trying to think of other ideas...

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:46 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Just be aware that the minhagim for Pesach - especially in Chabad - are all over the board, so if they don't eat your cake, you shouldn't feel bad! (We used to have a bochur for Pesach who wouldn't eat any sugar, my mother would make him special applesauce, special fish.)

Either way I'm sure they will appreciate the gesture very much.

Yes! Wow, every year I hear of a new chumra... This year we started covering the fan in our freezer with aluminium foil and making holes in it, as well as covering the fridge door handles!!

My kitchen looks like a spaceship!

salt

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 4:12 am
Wow I'm super impressed. They do this without getting any payment? Are they teenagers, or over 20 (doesn't make a difference, just curious, and more impressed if they are younger).
Chabad doesn't have the budget to give them a small payment/ gift voucher to a book store/ clothes store?
If it's hard kashrut-wise, or too much work for you, to make them a cake during Pesach, that they'll enjoy, could you get some chocolates sent to them at yeshiva, or at their home after Pesach? That would be a nice surprise - a belated thank you!

y2kmommy

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 4:30 am
I don’t know how many there are, but maybe you could make up some sort of hachnosas orchim baskets or something non food related that could enhance their Yom Tov away from home that could be sent to where they are staying. Just a sort of “thank you”.

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 4:31 am
salt wrote:
Wow I'm super impressed. They do this without getting any payment? Are they teenagers, or over 20 (doesn't make a difference, just curious, and more impressed if they are younger).
Chabad doesn't have the budget to give them a small payment/ gift voucher to a book store/ clothes store?
If it's hard kashrut-wise, or too much work for you, to make them a cake during Pesach, that they'll enjoy, could you get some chocolates sent to them at yeshiva, or at their home after Pesach? That would be a nice surprise - a belated thank you!

Yep, no payment- they're amazing. They're all teenagers, but very mature and responsible. They were all over the city I live in yesterday (they get lifts here especially from yeshivot in Lod etc) and were putting tefillin on so many people likvod the Rabbi's birthday. It was so heartwarming to see. Thing is there's no such thing as a chabad budget. The local shluchim are going abroad for Pesach, leaving my family responsible for the communal seder. I really like the idea of sending directly to their yeshiva! I need to find out specifically which one they're coming from

mo5

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 5:36 am
That’s really nice of you! Also, as someone who has the help of bochurim, ask for their names and mail a thank you letter to their Yeshiva addresses to them or even better, if you can get their parents addresses and send their thank you letter there.
And some nice choc etc after Pesach would be super nice of you!

flmommy

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 6:31 am
A kind note and $20?

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 7:00 am
flmommy wrote:
A kind note and $20?

1) I'll only see them for yom tov
2) that'll be a lot of money!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:01 am
I'm so happy you'll have help Israeli_C! Smile Just thank them with heart. I'm sure they'll feel great!

DVOM

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:10 am
Perhaps a big pile of newspapers/ magazines sent to wherever they're sleeping with a note saying something like:

We so appreciate all the hard work you are putting into making our community seder a success! Here is some reading material for you to relax with during your down time- you deserve it!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:46 am
Or a basket with a whole melon or too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics