Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Poll: Do you vaccinate? (read thread first)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Do you vaccinate?
Yes, on schedule.  
 73%  [ 379 ]
Selectively and/or delayed  
 7%  [ 37 ]
Only did because I was forced (want kids in school) or fined now  
 1%  [ 8 ]
No  
 3%  [ 19 ]
Something Else  
 0%  [ 1 ]
yes, but on a slower schedule  
 13%  [ 70 ]
Total Votes : 514

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 7:46 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm curious if aside from the Tiferet Yisrael's description of Edward Jenner as pious there were Jews (rabbis or laypeople) at the time who said "If G-d wants you to die of smallpox the vaccine won't help".

I think fatalism has often held sway among the Jewish community, but the more so when we've been assailed by horrific events. It is not that surprising that just two generations past the Holocaust, there's still a strong strain of fatalism among us.

In contrast, the Tiferet Yisrael came of age at the tail end of the Enlightenment, and I'm wondering whether he was affected by its profoundly non-fatalistic and optimistic spirit.

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:04 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm curious if aside from the Tiferet Yisrael's description of Edward Jenner as pious there were Jews (rabbis or laypeople) at the time who said "If G-d wants you to die of smallpox the vaccine won't help".

This was one of the arguments used against vaccines in the time of Jenner. Definitely by religious Christians, but I don't know enough to say what Jewish attitudes were.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:19 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I think fatalism has often held sway among the Jewish community, but the more so when we've been assailed by horrific events. It is not that surprising that just two generations past the Holocaust, there's still a strong strain of fatalism among us.

In contrast, the Tiferet Yisrael came of age at the tail end of the Enlightenment, and I'm wondering whether he was affected by its profoundly non-fatalistic and optimistic spirit.

Add to the list of research that I'd like to read is to compare the incidence of fatalistm among decendants of survivors (obviously we can't study those who didn't survive) to people whose ancestors left Europe earlier than that.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:06 am
imasoftov wrote:
Add to the list of research that I'd like to read is to compare the incidence of fatalistm among decendants of survivors (obviously we can't study those who didn't survive) to people whose ancestors left Europe earlier than that.

Well, arguably descendants of survivors should be *less* fatalistic, given that survival wasn't entirely random, but depended to some degree on actions that they took.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics