Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Rita's - Jackson and Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:55 pm
Are the Rita's in Jackson and Lakewood under the same management/owner?

I recently had a very negative experience at the Jackson Rita's, and it was not the first time we felt negative vibes there. I'm wondering if both these franchises are under the same ownership.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:31 pm
Don’t know but Jackson is cholov Stam and Lakewood is cholov yisroel do based on that I always thought different.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:37 pm
sky wrote:
Don’t know but Jackson is cholov Stam and Lakewood is cholov yisroel do based on that I always thought different.

Which Jackson Rita's is chalav stam? I go to the one on County Line and it's chalav Yisroel.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 12:48 am
groisamomma wrote:
Which Jackson Rita's is chalav stam? I go to the one on County Line and it's chalav Yisroel.

When did that happen? It’s good to know - I thought only Lakewood was. Thanks.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:33 am
I honestly don’t know how everyone thinks it’s okay to buy from there in the first place. There is not a Jew in sight in the store ever! I never understood how this can be acceptable kashrus standards.
They sell things that are non kosher as well. How can you be so sure that they are not using the same serving spoons. How can people eat from a small shop where the worker brings her own non kosher lunch food and eats it there?
I have never understood how eating from an establishment without a Jew in the store supervising is okay.
Yes, I know that “everyone “ does it...

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:39 am
groisamomma wrote:

The ice cream is chalav yisroel also? I thought the Jackson one only had good Rita Ices but the ice cream was not okay to get there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:41 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I honestly don’t know how everyone thinks it’s okay to buy from there in the first place. There is not a Jew in sight in the store ever! I never understood how this can be acceptable kashrus standards.
They sell things that are non kosher as well. How can you be so sure that they are not using the same serving spoons. How can people eat from a small shop where the worker brings her own non kosher lunch food and eats it there?
I have never understood how eating from an establishment without a Jew in the store supervising is okay.

I have actually been there when Rabbi Yoffe, the one giving the hashgacha, was there. So I know he stops by regularly to check up on things.

You have to ask for Chalav Yisrael.

But you are right, I'm beginning to think, for so many reasons, that it's not a good idea.

My family and I have felt negative vibes there (from the manager) for quite a while. I think they are happy to take our money but not happy to serve us. When people go there for a free Ritas (like on the first day of spring, or as part of their rewards program) they are not happy to give that to us. We had an unpleasant encounter and we are done. Our money would do better at Yismach Yisrael and Sprinkles.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:41 am

The place is under hashgacha. Its ok. No need to add to the halachos of kashrus. The halachos of such a place do not require a mashgiach tamidi or at all. And if they do use the same utensils - its all cold and never yad soledes bo. If it was an issue then I promise, it would not have hashgacha.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:31 am

Halachically an ice cream store does not require a mashgiach temidi. It’s okay if you don’t feel comfortable and don’t want to eat there but please don’t project your chumras on the greater public. We don’t need people being afraid to eat there because someone hear that the workers might be sticking pork in the buckets. Or kids boasting to their friends “WE don’t eat at Rita’s” based on nothing. We have Halacha for a reason.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:46 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Halachically an ice cream store does not require a mashgiach temidi. It’s okay if you don’t feel comfortable and don’t want to eat there but please don’t project your chumras on the greater public. We don’t need people being afraid to eat there because someone hear that the workers might be sticking pork in the buckets. Or kids boasting to their friends “WE don’t eat at Rita’s” based on nothing. We have Halacha for a reason.

To be clear, my reasons for stopping to go to Ritas (definitely the one in Jackson, hence my question about whether they are under the same management) are not because I doubt the Kashrus, though the poster raises some good points. I wouldn't put Ritas in the same category as a frum icecream shop, but I'm not one to say it's not Kosher according to Halacha.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:57 am
Amother saddlebrown, what's Rita's different than 7-11, dunkin donuts, and starbucks? They sell kosher but don't always have a mashgiach there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:00 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Amother saddlebrown, what's Rita's different than 7-11, dunkin donuts, and starbucks? They sell kosher but don't always have a mashgiach there.

I know people who are makpid not to eat at these places either.

I have great respect for those who take extra levels of Kashrus upon themselves, even if I'm not on that level.

I know people who don't eat out, or only eat at their own family.

Everyone has to make Kashrus decisions they are comfortable with.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:07 am
I also have great respect for these people- if they keep it to themselves. Many many people who take these type of chumros upon themselves do so because it makes them feel better, greater, frummer- it is unfortunately a very prevalent attitude in Lakewood. There are also many many people who don’t understand Halacha or don’t have a Rav to ask sheilos to do they add on extra stringencies. Even people that look super frum.

If it being done for the right reasons and not publicized to put senseless fear in people kol hakovod!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:11 am
Most Dunkin Donuts, no 7-11, and no Starbucks claim to be kosher. A few DUnkins have a hechsher. None of the others do.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:17 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Most Dunkin Donuts, no 7-11, and no Starbucks claim to be kosher. A few DUnkins have a hechsher. None of the others do.

The slurpees in 7-11 have a hechsher. As far as I know there is no mashgiach checking to make sure the workers don’t put in treif when they refill the syrup.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:29 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I also have great respect for these people- if they keep it to themselves. Many many people who take these type of chumros upon themselves do so because it makes them feel better, greater, frummer- it is unfortunately a very prevalent attitude in Lakewood. There are also many many people who don’t understand Halacha or don’t have a Rav to ask sheilos to do they add on extra stringencies. Even people that look super frum.

If it being done for the right reasons and not publicized to put senseless fear in people kol hakovod!

Yes, I hear you on this. I've heard of people who make up crazy chumros that no Rav ever said to do, either.

OTOH there are people who will share their concerns because the genuinely care about other people, both their Ruchinyos and Gashmiyos.

You can often tell the difference....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries