Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Define avoda Zara????

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:31 am
Please only respond with a precise source to back your definition.

I'm looking for a full range of answers, within the *halachic* sphere.

(A hashkafic answer which has practical applications is also welcome. Please explain where and how it is applied.)

behappy2

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:41 am
I don't have a source but avodah zora is attributing powers to something other than God, with its source being unrelated to God-the God who created the world in 6 days and took us out of Egypt...short version.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:53 am
I'm specifically seeking precise sources, but thank you for your general knowledge. Smile

I'm familiar with Rav Hirsch's essay, but I don't know of any other definition than his. Can someone enlighten me, please? Shulchan Aruch? The Rosh? Anything?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:55 am
behappy2 wrote:
I don't have a source but avodah zora is attributing powers to something other than God, with its source being unrelated to God-the God who created the world in 6 days and took us out of Egypt...short version.

This is what I've learned too. I'm sorry I don't have a halachic source but I've heard this attributed to Rabbi Lawrence Keleman, and Sara Yoheved Rigler, and am pretty sure it's also in Rabbi Heimowitz's incredible book, The Six Constant Mitzvos.

It's like the story about the guy who's looking for a parking spot and starts bargaining with G-d, then someone pulls out and he says, "Oh, thanks, but I don't need Your help."

It started back when people were able to harness nature and get what they want (think farmers and rain) without having to do the hard work of praying and becoming the type of person whose prayers Hashem would listen to. What behappy2 has said is its contemporary and so relevant application in a world where our yetzer hara for the original stuff (and its actual power) has been blunted, thanks to the tefillos of the Anshei Kneses Hagedola.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:12 pm
Rambam in Hilchot Avoda Zara 2:1 writes that the primary prohibition of Avoda Zara is to worship (details in Ch. 3, in short, whatever the believers in that false god do to worship it, or (even if that's not something its followers do) bowing down, offering an animal sacrifice, incense, or a wine offering) "any among all creatures, no angel, no planet, no star, none of the four elements nor any of their offspring". Also to believe in it without worshiping is forbidden.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions