Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
EL AL Flight Attendant in Coma After Getting Measles
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:57 pm
etky wrote:
Unfortunately it was reported tonight that her condition has deteriorated. Recent scans have shown that she has sustained extensive and very severe brain damage and she is not responding to treatments.

OMGosh, how sad. Crying

May she have a neis gadol and a complete recovery.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 4:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OMGosh, how sad. Crying

May she have a neis gadol and a complete recovery.

Amen!

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 5:06 pm
Honestly at this point, I think parents who don't want to get their kids vaccinated should be contacted by child services and have their kids taken away until they realize how dumb they are. How can these people be considered responsible parents? They are obviously unfit if they expose people to fatal deseases.

mig100

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Honestly at this point, I think parents who don't want to get their kids vaccinated should be contacted by child services and have their kids taken away until they realize how dumb they are. How can these people be considered responsible parents? They are obviously unfit if they expose people to fatal deseases.

Agreed. I always wonder to these people listen to ANYONE??? Or they always no better

Sebastian

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:19 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

I do not agree and I am pro vax. I think they can (and should!) be forced to quarantine their kids until the outbreak is over and heavily fined if they don't. Same for schools.

This may not be popular, but there should also be social consequences to not vaccinating, particularly during an outbreak.
I am also very much in favor of repealing the religious exceptions for vaccines in NY.

However, these dumb, irresponsible people should not lose custody of their children for not vaccinating.

nchr

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:40 am
etky wrote:
Unfortunately it was reported tonight that her condition has deteriorated. Recent scans have shown that she has sustained extensive and very severe brain damage and she is not responding to treatments.

This is so sad. An article I read also stated that a 10-year old child sustained brain damage and is also in a coma. Here is a link: https://www.jpost.com/Breaking.....87236 and https://abc7news.com/health/re.....5565/ It is very brief so I'm not sure of the details. It is unacceptable that in 2019 anyone should suffer from a vaccine preventable illness for which an effective vaccine exists.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:33 am
Sebastian wrote:

However, these dumb, irresponsible people should not lose custody of their children for not vaccinating.

According to the CDC, about 1 out of every 1,000 children who gets measles will develop encephalitis. This can lead to convulsions and leave a child deaf or with an intellectual disability.
Additionally, 1 or 2 out of 1,000 US children who get measles will die from it. Worldwide, the illness is fatal in 1 or 2 out of every 100 children.

HOW IS THIS NOT CHILD ABUSE!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
According to the CDC, about 1 out of every 1,000 children who gets measles will develop encephalitis. This can lead to convulsions and leave a child deaf or with an intellectual disability.
Additionally, 1 or 2 out of 1,000 US children who get measles will die from it. Worldwide, the illness is fatal in 1 or 2 out of every 100 children.

HOW IS THIS NOT CHILD ABUSE!

It’s wrong not to vaccinate. It’s also wrong not to use car seats. But we don’t take away kids from their parents for such things.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 7:56 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
It’s wrong not to vaccinate. It’s also wrong not to use car seats. But we don’t take away kids from their parents for such things.

Not using car seats is stupid, but it doesn't put the general population at risk.

I still think that there should be some way for parents to lose custody of unvaccinated kids. They can have their kids back after they've gotten their vaccines caught up. Social services should check on them to make sure they have boosters.

Think about the case of the hippie vegan parents who fed their newborn baby nothing but coconut water, and the baby died. They were charged with negligence and had to go to court. "But, their religious beliefs!" The jury wasn't buying it. I wish I could find that case, and post the details.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 8:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Not using car seats is stupid, but it doesn't put the general population at risk.

I still think that there should be some way for parents to lose custody of unvaccinated kids. They can have their kids back after they've gotten their vaccines caught up. Social services should check on them to make sure they have boosters.

Think about the case of the hippie vegan parents who fed their newborn baby nothing but coconut water, and the baby died. They were charged with negligence and had to go to court. "But, their religious beliefs!" The jury wasn't buying it. I wish I could find that case, and post the details.

You're absolutely right that not vaxxing is different since it puts the general population at risk. Still, I don't think taking away kids from parents is the right remedy. The right remedy is increasing pressure to vaccinate, perhaps by not allowing unvaccinated kids into schools, parks, or other public places whenever there's an outbreak (defined as 3 or more cases of a disease in any state).

Taking away kids from parents is traumatic. It's no better than what's being done to the poor immigrant children at the US-Mexican border. And once you have lots of kids together, particularly lots of unvaccinated kids, the potential for worse outbreaks increases.

Laiya

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 8:59 am
nchr wrote:
This is so sad. An article I read also stated that a 10-year old child sustained brain damage and is also in a coma. Here is a link: https://www.jpost.com/Breaking.....87236 and https://abc7news.com/health/re.....5565/ It is very brief so I'm not sure of the details. It is unacceptable that in 2019 anyone should suffer from a vaccine preventable illness for which an effective vaccine exists.

According to the link, 2 million Israelis are not vaccinated. My question is, Who are these people?? (socio-economically, religiously)

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 9:13 am
Laiya wrote:
According to the link, 2 million Israelis are not vaccinated. My question is, Who are these people?? (socio-economically, religiously)

according to the vegan chabad thread at least 4 of them are DL vegans. Maybe 2, if its just the kids who aren't.

Laiya

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 9:43 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

This is the key. Not vaccinating has nothing to do with religious beliefs, and it's wrong that people abuse the exemption.

As for forcing parents, I think that as Americans, we put a high value on individual freedom, and we should be wary of giving over too much power to the state when it comes to healthcare decisions of our children. Taken to the extreme, and we end up with horrific cases like Alfie Evans and Charlie Gard. (That said, lack of trust is what's driving the anti-vaxers to begin with, and we need to figure out a way to overcome that.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics