Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Does your husband help with pesach cleaning?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:53 pm
My husband is an engineer. If you ever dealt with them, you know the type. I have the most precise Pesach coverings in existence. This is his thing. They look like they are factory installed.

I have cleaning help and start in January. House gets sterilized. We have crews coming on on Sundays to clean second story windows and all the lighting. Things get repaired.

He is up every night late the last several weeks, and he gets up early.

I sit back and do a normal amount of work and let him go to town.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:55 pm
My husband did the cars with help and painted the porch with help. He wiped out one cabinet. Otherwise I don't think he cleaned at all.

He does vacuum and mop on a regular basis. He also does dishes. But he grew up with a maid and is generally lacking in cleaning skills which causes a lot of friction. He doesn't know how to do laundry clean a bathroom or complete a meal cleanup (he thinks it consists of lifting and washing the plates and that's all)

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
My husband did the cars with help and painted the porch with help. He wiped out one cabinet. Otherwise I don't think he cleaned at all.

He does vacuum and mop on a regular basis. He also does dishes. But he grew up with a maid and is generally lacking in cleaning skills which causes a lot of friction. He doesn't know how to do laundry clean a bathroom or complete a meal cleanup (he thinks it consists of lifting and washing the plates and that's all)

It's a personality thing. Dh also grew up with a maid but he puts me to shame in the cleaning and organizing department.

I cook, dh does more cleaning than I do.

I also do the worrying Wink

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

I also didn’t do much growing up. It’s possible to learn as an adult.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:13 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
My husband doesn’t clean much, but neither do I. My cleaning lady did all the bedrooms, basement, playroom, and turned over almost the whole kitchen by herself. She also washed all the winter coats and backpacks and the stroller. I did the kashering and the rest of the turning over. And put all the pesach stuff into the turned over cabinets. I did all the shopping for groceries and appliances. I did the barbershop, the shoe store, the clothing stores and alterations. I did most of the cooking, the cleaning lady is helping with the rest of the cooking today. My husband usually does my car but he told me to hire someone this year, so I did. Last night he went to the grocery to buy marror and then he ground the marror with my son. Today he is buying a toaster oven because I threw out my old one. Today I sent my boys to cleaners, pharmacy and a couple more errands. Cleaning lady is bh here and will iron, and finish up laundry. We will probably set the table for the Seder together. Bh we are almost at the finish line.
When it comes to turning the kitchen back to chometz, my husband does most of the work. I’m just to exhausted by then.

How nice to have so much help!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:41 pm
My husband did his car and took in the shaimos and challah to burn..... oh and he took the boys suit shopping. I did the rest- cleaned, shopped, turned over, cooked......

miami85

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:46 pm
I work out of the house full-time, my husband works at home, he does a lot around the house and did a lot of pesach prep

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 3:56 pm
My husband works more than full time.
my cleaning lady came one full extra day and we worked together 10-6 and did most of the house. She comes for 3-4 hours on a weekly basis. So this time is was just for pesach cleaning.
I finished the rest over the next week or two.

Shopping was divided between me making phone/online orders and he doing actual shopping.

We did lots of stuff that wasn't necessarily for pesach but we wanted it to be done for pesach. Like fix the lighting and install a new chandelier.... new bookshelf downstairs.... kill the moss. stuff like that. He did most I helped out when needed.

He also covered 75% of the cabinets and counters, kashered, his cleaning crew at work cleaned the car Tongue Out. He also took the kids out this morning for last minute groceries while I cooked.... I did the cooking yesterday and today. he arranged the neighborhood breakfast in shul. And set it up this morning too.

I guess ,it's a joint effort. We each do our part.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Apr 19 2019, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 4:20 pm
floralwhite- I think that's partly personality. My dh is also an "engineer" also cuts the covers to size even with curves Wink but he is very chilled when it comes to the cleaning... he doesn't believe in going overboard.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
floralwhite- I think that's partly personality. My dh is also an "engineer" also cuts the covers to size even with curves Wink but he is very chilled when it comes to the cleaning... he doesn't believe in going overboard.

Is he an actual engineer or just detail oriented? DH has that personality. When he writes, it looks like a computer font. Everything is neat and organized.

DH doesn't ask me to clean. He gives me no pressure. He doesn't want anything to interfere with my job as mother.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:25 pm
tymama wrote:
Next time he says that tell him and it’s not a woman’s job to be earning a living like that. So we share the burden Can't Believe It

Already did that. It didn't work.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:49 pm
My husband helps to the best of his ability.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:50 pm
You mean my husband who leaves at 7am and comes home at 10:30 PM? Nah. Dunno how he would fit it into his sched!
On Sunday, he'll hang out with my 2yo so I can get some things done, though.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Apr 20 2019, 2:07 pm
I did all the cleaning, which wasn't that much, in the bedrooms, bathrooms and my office.
DH did the kitchen counters and oven/stovetop cleaning and turned it over.
We shopped the big shopping together and I did several smaller shoppings by myself.
I organized the pantries and stored the Pesachdik pots and pans. Which DH brought up from the basement.
I did all the cooking.
DH did the cars' interior.

Can't complain.

Aylat

Post Sat, Apr 20 2019, 2:18 pm
I work full-time but am a teacher and have been off for a week and a half. DH works almost twice full-time. In the run up to Pesach he did only his own drawers in the bedroom, I did everything else, with a lot of help from my kids. But even though he worked Erev Pesach he also did a lot of the last minute things - stuff he's good at and I'm not, like precision covering the counters and cooker, and he did some of the cooking.

moonstone

Post Sat, Apr 20 2019, 4:45 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I work twice as much as my husband outside the house and he didn't do a thing for pesach cleaning besides pouring the boiling water in the sink and covering the already cleared counters. I asked for help with many things. It was told it's not a mans job . Whatever.

Of course my husband helps. I wouldn't even call it helping, we each do our fair share with different tasks. We both live here, we both work-- why shouldn't we both prepare for Pesach? As for the bolded... what year is this, 1819? I wouldn't go on a second date with a guy who had such ridiculously outdated opinions, let alone marry him.

shevi82

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 1:20 am
I really can't believe there are men who say this is a womens job! It is so messed up. My bil is a mashgiach in a top yeshiva, I came to over last week and he was scrubbing the fridge. No mother should raise her boys with an additute like that. Even a boy who is in Yeshiva all year on Erev pesach you roll up your sleeves and get to work.
And not just on Erev pesach. Make sure to teach your boys not only how to iron, clean, cook etc. But that in a household evreyone joins together to get things done.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 7:40 am
Most years my husband does the vast majority of the cleaning. He works in catering and business slows way down for Pesach obviously, so he has time off of work, and I don't (though I only work part-time). And anyway, he doesn't want me to do it because he has his standards and chumros and such, that he doesn't want to impose on me. (Like bleaching the ceiling, lol.) This year he was sick and I got to do at least half of it and finally feel useful. I'm seriously baffled, and sad too, that no other husband out there seems to do a darn thing for Pesach.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 4:02 pm
We both work full time so both did different parts of the pesach cleaning, but we also dont do most of the house as food is never brought out of the kitchen or dinning room, so its the regular vacuuming(my husband) and me spongaing aftrr that in most of the house. But we share the responsibility equally.
And what about children? Dont they all help as well? I think thats very important.

sirel

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 5:02 pm
We both work full time, and dh has a second job some evenings that need some prep.
So I clean in the evening, and if he's home and doesn't need to prepare , he works with me.

I don't find he does a very thorough job and so I ask him to do things that don't really have chometz- bedroom closets, the study, basement, etc.

It is usually me "running" operation Pesach, but he's helpful and gracious about following instructions (mostly, lol)

I don't have or want cleaning help, dh wanted me to get one for a few hours on Thursday in order to get the house ready for Pesach, but I told him I prefer to take another day off of work and do it myself, so that's what we did.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics