Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Does your Seder consist of the same Divrei Torah each year?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 1:42 pm
I sometimes read about fathers/grandfathers spending hours preparing new Divrei Torah each year for the Seder, and others are either too busy to do so, or have certain pieces they like and enjoy sharing year after year, even if everybody knows the punchline. Just wondering what's the norm and what goes on at your Seders.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 1:54 pm
My father usually 'tells over' whatever the Rav said at shul.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 1:59 pm
At our sedarim we have all different haggadahs so everyone says anything interesting they come across. Some things are the same each year and some are new.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:06 pm
Dh takes personal pride in thinking up a new Dvar Torah every year. (He also tries to come up with something new every Shabbat). He loves giving Divrei Torah and puts a lot of effort into finding new angles and insights.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:20 pm
We have some new, but my favorites are the special ones my dad repeats each year. So nice to grow up to them, understand and appreciate each year.

Same on Shabbos.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:47 am
As a kid I gave a dvar Torah about the custom of eating an egg dipped in saltwater before shulchan aruch. It’s a symbol having to do with zecher l’churban, and the round shape of an egg symbolizes the cycling through each year, with a reference to the fact that the first day of Pesach falls out on the same day of the week as Tisha B’Av.

Over the years I forgot most of the details (as you can see) and it became a humorous but necessary (for nostalgic reasons) part of our Seder. I still do it today at my own sedarim with my husband. It gets shorter and shorter every year.

By now it’s pretty much this: “We eat eggs because Pesach and Tisha B’Av fall out on the same day. The year is round, the egg is round. Zecher l’churban.”

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 1:30 am
No. The divrai Torah shared during our Seder, are new ideas we have recently learned and wish to share. Are some ideas the same as last year repeated by a different person? I am sure - but they are new and inspiring to the teller who wishes to share what they learned from a recent class, shiur, podcast, or article they read.

(Mine are usually from the Aish website and the Shabbos Hagadol drasha I attend).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:49 am
Both

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:51 am
A mix of both. Some things are just so classic they get shared year to year. Also, bh, there are many kids at our sedarim, so they're sharing stuff they learned in school, most of which are things the adults and older kids already know but of course it's great nachas for all the parents and grandparents to hear children sharing what they've learned, even if it's something an older sibling or cousin shared last year. But teens and adults do try to find something new and interesting to share each year.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:45 am
I find that I myself have new questions year after year so there are always new answers and discussions . My kids also have new divrei Torah each year and DH usually has some new and also old. It's a mix of both.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:58 pm
My kids say most of the Divrei Torah at the seder. They are always older than the year before, and have different teachers each year, so they usually say different things.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 3:27 am
No. Kids bring home different packets of divrei Torah each year.
And their questions change which lead to discussions. (DH gives out chocolate chips as a reward for questions)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics