Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you eat only peeled produce?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 9:49 pm
My in laws only eat peeled veggies. They are heimish. I try to peel stuff that are easy for me but dh isn't makpid and I didn't grow up that way so it's hard on me.
I never ever heard of peeling things before I got married and was so surprised when I went to my in laws and they peeled everything.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 9:55 pm
Only peeled.

I grew up using things that can be peeled. But no garlic.
My mil also doesn't eat anything with "seeds" like squash and tomatoes. (Even peeled) I just recently found out. Never even noticed it. And this is my 10th pesach there.

What's interesting though is, she had cantaloupe today.... I just realized.... I wonder why/how.

Also, matzoh with milk wasn't considered "gebruks" like matzoh in soup or with cooked Fish. And for sure not butter on matzoh. But my mil was horrified when she saw me buttering my matzoh on chol hamoed morning. I was a "fresh" newly wed of just over a month. That was embaressing. Never even dawned on me. Lol. I've learned a lot since then.

Satmar
Chassidish.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 9:58 pm
We also dont use garlic. I think most chassidim don't use garlic.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 9:59 pm
We are omnivorous, eating peeled and unpeeled fruits and vegetables.
Married Sephardi (Moroccan) / JPF.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 10:00 pm
The people that don't use seeded vegetables is when seed is part of veg that you eat, like zucchini or cucumbers.

itsmeima

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 10:19 pm
Unpeeled or peeled before Pesach. Only P
peeled on Pesach.

Chassidish

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 10:23 pm
We eat all produce, with peels too. We have some chassidic background, but of Polish origin not Hungarian.
All produce includes garlic. Again, we don't stem from an area that had an issue with garlic being grown near chometz.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 10:24 pm
Only peeled, and a very very limited number anyway.

Chassidish.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 10:25 pm
Only peeled fruits and vegetables. Litvish/German background.

soap suds

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 10:45 pm
Only peeled. No garlic. Yes to seeds as long as it can be peeled (kirbies, squash, no tomatoes). Not makpid peels shouldn't touch other foods. Cutlery that falls on the floor gets rinsed off. Food on the floor (I.e. matzah) gets put away for after Pesach assuming it's clean enough to be eaten. No matzah in milk. Yes buttered matzah. Did I miss anything?
Chasidish.

Why are people going anonymous for this?

moonstone

Post Sun, Apr 21 2019, 11:44 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Same here. Eat all produce, unpeeled. I also thought it was a chassidish thing.

Same here. We eat everything unpeeled. And we use cutlery that has fallen on the floor (after washing it). I had no idea people were so strict until imamother. Sounds very hard.

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 1:48 am
My parents eat only peeled. My in-laws (and thus us) eat either peeled or produce that has been washed well BEFORE pesach. Whatever wasn't washed is peeled. I usually wash and dry all fruit and vegetables before pesach. (grapes, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, chilli Peppers, celery, Cabbage...)
We eat garlic (both parents and in-laws), but only fresh wet garlic. That is not the same garlic as is bought year round. Our local stores stock it only before pesach. (garlic that is sold in stores is dried).
We are chassidish.

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 1:51 am
flowerpower wrote:
Only peeled fruits or vegetables. We don’t eat produce we can’t peel like broccoli or strawberries

Strawberries can technically be peeled. My mother peeled strawberries for a fruit salad yesterday. It was delicious.

ggdm

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:57 am
Eat everything, MO/OOT. Pesach is hard enough.

What is the halachic basis for peeling? I have never heard about this before imamother.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:07 am
The seed thing - whats that about? I’ve never heard that one before.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:47 am
My bobov family didn't do that

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:25 am
Tzutzie wrote:
Only peeled.

I grew up using things that can be peeled. But no garlic.
My mil also doesn't eat anything with "seeds" like squash and tomatoes. (Even peeled) I just recently found out. Never even noticed it. And this is my 10th pesach there.

What's interesting though is, she had cantaloupe today.... I just realized.... I wonder why/how.

Also, matzoh with milk wasn't considered "gebruks" like matzoh in soup or with cooked Fish. And for sure not butter on matzoh. But my mil was horrified when she saw me buttering my matzoh on chol hamoed morning. I was a "fresh" newly wed of just over a month. That was embaressing. Never even dawned on me. Lol. I've learned a lot since then.

Satmar
Chassidish.

No, it's a real thing even if your MIL doesn't agree. We also hold that milk/butter/oil based things aren't gebrokts because they aren't water based. I'm personally stricter than that and don't put anything on matzah at all, but my husband loves butter/olive oil/etc. on matzah and when he asked a shaila he was told it was ok and not gebrokts. We're Viznitz.

ETA: and to answer the actual question, yes, we eat only things that can be peeled.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:30 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Oh, and if you were referring to the cutlery - Nope. Once something hits the chometzdik floor (and you can be sure shoes bring chometz in) it's OUT till next year. This is very common by chassidim.

If you consider dirt from the bottom of one's shoes to be chametz, wouldn't it make sense to remove shoes before entering the home on Pesach?

I thought the halacha was not to have chametz in one's home on Pesach.

And ditto for vegetable peels: why allow unpeeled vegetables into your home if you think the peels are suspected of containing chametz?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:43 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Peeled vegetables only aside from Romaine. Chabad

Can you explain the Romaine exemption? It isn't required to be used for maror and horseradish can be peeled.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 5:37 am
MO, eat unpeeled vegetables
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics