Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Newark airport plane watching

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:54 am
How does is work if we want to go observe the planes at Newark airport? Do we just go into any terminal to watch the planes? Can the planes be seen from any terminal?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:12 am
Consider going to the Ikea cafeteria (marit ayin might be a concern, but your behavior will make it clear that you are not there to eat. Then again, I'm not an expert). Free parking!

ETA: I'm not sure how much you can see from the areas of the airport that are open to people who are not ticketed passengers. I haven't lingered in the airport recently, just gone straight through security.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:30 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Consider going to the Ikea cafeteria (marit ayin might be a concern, but your behavior will make it clear that you are not there to eat. Then again, I'm not an expert). Free parking!

ETA: I'm not sure how much you can see from the areas of the airport that are open to people who are not ticketed passengers. I haven't lingered in the airport recently, just gone straight through security.

Make sure you don't get in the way of paying guests.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:33 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Make sure you don't get in the way of paying guests.

Good point. The place is never full when I go (to shop, not plane-watch), but I would recommend avoiding mealtime rush.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:45 am
I want to go to the actual airport, not ikea. The airport is more interesting for the kids.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:19 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Definitely IKEA! We used to live in NJ and made a day of it, first playing with the Ikea toys/displays then plane spotting. Bring your own food. Nobody will think you are eating there!

ShirleyTemple

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:26 pm
[quote="amother [ Babyblue ]"]Definitely IKEA! We used to live in NJ and made a day of it, first playing with the Ikea toys/displays then plane spotting. Bring your own food. Nobody will think you are eating there![/

Whats the address of this Ikea?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:49 pm
Do short-term parking and then take the monorail that's where you can see all the planes

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:55 pm
[quote="ShirleyTemple"]
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Definitely IKEA! We used to live in NJ and made a day of it, first playing with the Ikea toys/displays then plane spotting. Bring your own food. Nobody will think you are eating there![/

Whats the address of this Ikea?

1000 IKEA Drive, Elizabeth
https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/stores/elizabeth/

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
1000 IKEA Drive, Elizabeth
https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/stores/elizabeth/

Yes, anecdotal aside: when we moved and went to a different Ikea, my then two-year old wailed because he recognized that it was Ikea but there were no planes! I was so surprised he had remembered them so young! Definitely had an impact.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:53 pm
Definitely IKEA! We used to live in NJ and made a day of it, first playing with the Ikea toys/displays then plane spotting. Bring your own food. Nobody will think you are eating there!

Is this against Halacha?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:55 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Is this against Halacha?

Against Halacha? 🤔 I didn’t mean bring a full meal, just snacks for your plane-watching child/children and give only if they need.

I usually bought a few things at Ikea when we visited as a trip (usually smaller kids things vs heavy furniture things) and had no qualms having a break to plane watch before going home.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:17 pm
Against Halacha? 🤔 I didn’t mean bring a full meal, just snacks for your plane-watching child/children and give only if they need.

I usually bought a few things at Ikea when we visited as a trip (usually smaller kids things vs heavy furniture things) and had no qualms having a break to plane watch before going home.

It isn't nice to bring your own food to a cafe and take up seats paying customers could be using.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:12 pm
I was there today. Kids were a bit disappointed because it was a very far view. Downstairs in yhe parking area they were able to see a lot better. But neither place were we able to see actual takeoff or landing.

About the cafeteria, it was pretty empty. Unless its full and ur taking up a table just to watch, then please don't nt do it. But in our case there were many other available tables.

Kids had a great time at the ball pit so it was worth the trip. And I got some knick knacks, of course. My favorite store!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:33 pm
I went there today. First we watched the planes land from the IKEA parking lot, since it was raining we just watched from the car. Then we went inside, used the air train, watched the baggage claim,went up to an empty check in and the people there were bored and friendly and gave my kids baggage bands and let them climb on the luggage scale. We went up and down escalators and elevators and right up until security.
It was super interesting for my kids,, they really enjoyed it. We had planned to go into IKEA too but after all that walking around in the airport I had no patience left!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:57 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I went there today. First we watched the planes land from the IKEA parking lot, since it was raining we just watched from the car. Then we went inside, used the air train, watched the baggage claim,went up to an empty check in and the people there were bored and friendly and gave my kids baggage bands and let them climb on the luggage scale. We went up and down escalators and elevators and right up until security.
It was super interesting for my kids,, they really enjoyed it. We had planned to go into IKEA too but after all that walking around in the airport I had no patience left!

I assume you mean inside in to the airport? So you just went in randomly and were able to see and explore?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:09 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I assume you mean inside in to the airport? So you just went in randomly and were able to see and explore?

Yes, we went into the terminal. Found an airline that wasnt busy, and explored the place.
One person stopped us and was surprised that we were traveling with so many kids and we told him it's just an educational trip on holiday, and they were very impressed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics