Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Is Pesach not healthy?
Previous  1  2

crust

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:22 am
This year my husband told me that there's a shita that 2.5 ounces is a shiur. That's a sum total of 10 ounces of Lite grape juice. 85 calories.
He saved the day.

A quarter of a Matzo is a kezayis so one matzo should cover you for all of the kezasim including korach and afikomen.

Can you get a few hours of sleep the first day after the seuda?

We rushed through the first Seder.
(Btw rush means done at 1:45, Ramom no clue how people get to bed before midnight! That's uber geshikt!)

But for the second Seder we were all well rested already so we enjoyed the singing the story telling and the Torahs.

I think a lot depends on how well rested you are. Talking for myself at least.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:28 am
Crust, I remember we had this conversation at the Seder and I think there is a shiur that is a little over 3 ounces (didn't hear of 2.5). But then you don't even have to drink the whole kos, so let's say 2.5 ounces for the first three, plus 3.5 ounces for the last kos - that's 11 ounces spread over a few hours? Not terrible.

crust

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:36 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Crust, I remember we had this conversation at the Seder and I think there is a shiur that is a little over 3 ounces (didn't hear of 2.5). But then you don't even have to drink the whole kos, so let's say 2.5 ounces for the first three, plus 3.5 ounces for the last kos - that's 11 ounces spread over a few hours? Not terrible.

It's from Sefer Otzer Halachas.
If you want I can quote the Sefer for you tomorrow.
The exact amount is 2.54 ounces.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 6:27 am
It is healthy if you make it healthy

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:22 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Me too, I cut out a lot of carbs and sugar too and shabbos during yr I only have czauis. So, seder with shiur of grape juice (4 cups) and shuir of matzo for afikomen, matzo, korech was hard, but what made it harder was I couldn't give my stomach a break. We did it again the second night too.

It was hard and I got stomach burps and was wondering why we need to eat so much matza in one sitting to get the lessons. But, ill still do it because its what we are supposed to do. However, aside from ppl who usually dpnt eat so many carbs...or don't eat so much late at night, why is it unhealthy??? Most ppl have a lot of challah during yr so instead, they are eating matzo. But, nobody has to make unhealthy kugels or too much. Healthy proteins and salads can be served, and nobody has to overeat. Nobody has to serve meals with 3000 calories in it. Aside from kezeyzim of matzo Marir korech and cups of wine, other foods are optional.

We have a pretty simcha shulchan oreich, hard boiled egg soup (minhag), chicken, potatoes, salad. Some of us just nibbled. Eating a meal that late isn't so easy on the system either. (But big plus: since I wasn't going to make early kiddush this year, since I b"H have so far avoided the cookies, I was able to handle waiting for kiddush b'makom seudah.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Pesach takes a toll on my health every year. This is the first year I'm not already sick and dying from back pain. But I'm still exhausted and in a total fog. And it's almost time to start cooking again. Crying

P.S.... My kids had the chutzpah to complain about being served leftovers for dinner tonight instead of something fresh. Nobody gets how hard it is; nobody appreciates it and that's I think for me even harder than the physical toll.

Don't your kids know that all over the world, people serve yom tov leftovers on the first night of chol hamoed? Wink
Seriously, major hugs. Hugs of sympathy, and endorsement for producing yom tov.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:29 am
crust wrote:
This year my husband told me that there's a shita that 2.5 ounces is a shiur. That's a sum total of 10 ounces of Lite grape juice. 85 calories.
He saved the day.

A quarter of a Matzo is a kezayis so one matzo should cover you for all of the kezasim including korach and afikomen.

Can you get a few hours of sleep the first day after the seuda?

We rushed through the first Seder.
(Btw rush means done at 1:45, Ramom no clue how people get to bed before midnight! That's uber geshikt!)

I'm not going to say when we finished. A little earlier. But I find that the real question is, when did you start. Some families take an hour to settle down, some start within five minutes of everyone coming home from shul.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:35 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Don't your kids know that all over the world, people serve yom tov leftovers on the first night of chol hamoed? Wink
Seriously, major hugs. Hugs of sympathy, and endorsement for producing yom tov.

First night? We eat leftovers all week.
Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen cooking the whole holiday week????

I make light things, like matza brei, rice, or cheese toast on ready made pesach buns. But no real cooking. The fridge is full of leftovers.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:06 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
First night? We eat leftovers all week.
Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen cooking the whole holiday week????

I make light things, like matza brei, rice, or cheese toast on ready made pesach buns. But no real cooking. The fridge is full of leftovers.

Whatever works for you. At this point I don't have enough leftovers for a full meal, but I do have single servings for anyone who is makpid on basar at some point during the day since I like serving milchigs/pareve for supper at some point during chol hamoed. That means matzah lasagna or easy tilapia and roasted potatoes. Sometimes, I'll freeze leftovers for an easy supper post yom tov. (Besides isru chag night, and sometimes the next night.)

I think we should all unapologetically do what works for us and keeps the family nourished. I guess posts like these can give chizuk to others.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics