Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Any reason why some don't sing Had Gadya after the sedar?
1  2  Next

Tziril Miriam

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:24 pm
My children know all the Had Gadya verses, but at a sedar we visited they were told not to sing that song. Is there a reason why?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:25 pm
It's too late in the evening, the kids have all fallen asleep, and the adults want to go home already.

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:32 pm
Yup. It's often very late and everyone wants to go to sleep. Especially, ppl like to draw it out with acting and animal noises and all you want to do is go to sleep

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:52 pm
Meh. The seder is long anyway. How much longer will it be with one more fun song? Esp if the kids were looking forward to singing it.

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:58 pm
We sing it the second night.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:11 pm
I know that the Lubabavitch minhag is to not sing any of the songs after Nirtza. That was always the highlight of our seder. Whomever wanted to leave was welcome to at that point, but that rarely happened.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:24 pm
Chad Gadya and Echad Mi Yodea are not part of the original text of the hagaddah. They seem to be folk songs that people just sang after the Seder. They were so popular that they were absorbed into the hagaddah, probably some time in the later middle ages.

I've never heard of anyone not singing them on principle, but certainly the Seder is complete without them.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:51 pm
We're Chabad. Chad Gadya is not in our Hagadah. Guests who wish to sing in anyhow are welcome to sing it and often do. I don't know why it's not in our Hagadah. I have no idea what the origin of the song is.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 5:55 pm
Chad gadya and echod mi yodea (and other songs?) are not in the chabad haggada. We sing them since most of our guests are not chabad and growing up we also sang them.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 6:04 pm
Boyan chassidis does not sing anything from nirtza.

I did not know Lubavitch also doesn’t.

Maybe it’s a Russian thing?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:43 am
minhag prob

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:58 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Chad Gadya and Echad Mi Yodea are not part of the original text of the hagaddah. They seem to be folk songs that people just sang after the Seder. They were so popular that they were absorbed into the hagaddah, probably some time in the later middle ages.

I've never heard of anyone not singing them on principle, but certainly the Seder is complete without them.

They are most definitely not folklore songs. Chad gadya is a deep mystical metaphor where Hashem is the father that sold us the goat to galus and we were passed all over the generations and exiles. My mind is a drop rusty but maybe another knowledgeable amother can elaborate?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:05 am
The GrA gave deep insights into chad Gadya. Eg dog - Egypt, ox - Rome

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:50 am
We sing chad gadya

We do not sing had gadya

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:23 am
Lubavitch doesn’t sing חסל סידור לסח either. We end with the yishtabach Bracha-4th cup and leshana habaa.
This is the nusach of the alter rebbes hagadda (Siddur).
Dhs family sings them afterwards, so not as the official part of the Seder.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:39 am
SuperWify wrote:
They are most definitely not folklore songs. Chad gadya is a deep mystical metaphor where Hashem is the father that sold us the goat to galus and we were passed all over the generations and exiles. My mind is a drop rusty but maybe another knowledgeable amother can elaborate?

Folklore can be deep and mystical too.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:39 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

There is a famous piece from the Gra on Chad Gadya that I've been seeing this year, linking it to mechiras Yosef, Mitzrayim, and geula, Pesach and the ultimate. So there is some substance to the songs.
Now if someone doesn't have a minhag to sing them, I respect all minhagim with mesorah.

ETA: I see amother burlywood got there first, but I'll let this stand.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:48 am
Thanks it is an HONOR to be back up by a Pink Fridge!!!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:16 am
There are many many interpretations of Chad gadya. Please don’t negate it to "folklore".

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:54 pm
We have chabad minhagim and we sing chasal sidur pesach and l'shana habaah and then the seder is over. We don't do any of the songs in the back of the hagaddah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics