Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you not keep all your closed packages of Pasta?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you sell unstarted boxes of Pasta with your Chometz or throw it out?
I sell it with the Chometz.  
 57%  [ 136 ]
I throw it out (even if its a few brand new boxes).  
 42%  [ 100 ]
Total Votes : 236

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:50 pm
My current finances make it so that getting rid of anything is considered a financial loss. I put everything in the cabinets and tape them shut. I sell the cabinets to Chabad using their online form, and make a donation.

Even a half a box of pasta can mean the difference between having a meal or not. My budget is THAT tight.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:06 pm
Are there any Chassidishe people who follow a Rebbe, or Litvishe people with Kollel background who follow a Litvish Posek, among those who chose "I sell it with the Chometz"?

teachkids

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:51 am
We only sell things that are expensive or questionable if they really are chometz. The nice non Jewish ladies at the municipal food pantry were very happy to take the bag of pasta and cracker boxes that I dropped off today.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Apr 20 2019, 4:16 pm
We do not leave any chametz gamur in the house. I donate or give away closed packages. I throw out any open packakages I still have. It doesn't add up to much. This includes expensive scotch too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:44 am
I ended up not keeping any Chometz Gamur.

I m just wondering if there are any Chassidishe people who follow a Rebbe, or Litvishe people with Kollel background who follow a Litvish Posek, among those who sell Chometz Gamur (pasta, etc).

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I m just wondering if there are any Chassidishe people who follow a Rebbe, or Litvishe people with Kollel background who follow a Litvish Posek, among those who sell Chometz Gamur (pasta, etc).

Yes there are . I know people in both categories that do .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:07 am
cnc wrote:
Yes there are . I know people in both categories that do .

Do you know which Rov's Psak they go by? Or is this possibly an individual Psak because these people cant afford the financial loss and the Rov/Rebbe gives a different Psak for others?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are there any Chassidishe people who follow a Rebbe, or Litvishe people with Kollel background who follow a Litvish Posek, among those who chose "I sell it with the Chometz"?

We are litvish, my dh learned in kollel, his father learned in kollel also, and we sell chamutz. That's my husband's family's minhag, they only sell unopened packages. We haven't asked a rav, we rely on the fact that it's the family minhag.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 1:05 pm
I seldom have much left because I quit stocking up well ahead of time and if necessary, eat pasta for breakfast to finish up the open package. I give closed packages, should we have any, to the local food pantry before they sell their chometz. In the week or two before Pesach we’re usually eating mostly kitniyot. It’s all a matter of planning ahead and breaking free of useless prejudices like thinking that breakfast means cereal and pasta means supper.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:58 pm
I grew up Chabad and never heard of there being a problem selling anything.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know which Rov's Psak they go by? Or is this possibly an individual Psak because these people cant afford the financial loss and the Rov/Rebbe gives a different Psak for others?

The first time I learned that people DON’T sell chometz gamur was when I got married.
My parents have chassidish leanings and follow a chassidish rebbe . My father learned/ learns in a Litvish kollel .
Same goes for my relatives .

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:22 am
cnc wrote:
The first time I learned that people DON’T sell chometz gamur was when I got married.
My parents have chassidish leanings and follow a chassidish rebbe . My father learned/ learns in a Litvish kollel .
Same goes for my relatives .

Which chassidish rebbe and which Litvish kollel tell their followers to sell any Chametz Gamur? DH would love to know, because he didnt think it exists.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:32 am
Don't throw out good food!! There are many people that can use it.
We don't sell chametz gamur so I listed a box of free food (pasta, cereal, oatmeal, infant oatmeal and some other random items) on craigslist and someone came to pick it up. I actually had 9 responses before I got a chance to delete my listing!

ggdm

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:58 am
I gave away beer to my coworkers, cookies to a non-Jewish friend, baby cereal to mothers at the baby meet-up and pasta to a food sharing initiative. Basically the week before pesach, I go around giving food to people Wink Most chametz we eat starting Purim. I hate throwing out food. I was raised not to waste, even if I could afford it. I usually get rid of everything and sell only what I discover last minute when there is no more time.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, we have both galician chasidish background and strong litvish and we sell all chometz (open packages too). My fil actually holds there is an inyan to sell chometz.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:12 pm
Im still looking for names. My relatives think its mostly Mod Orthodox people or people with very limited funds who sell their Chametz Gamur. I havent heard a single Chassidish or Litvish Posek's (who allows it) name.

Has anyone heard any Rebbes or Litvish Rabbonim talk about selling Chametz Gamur in their Shabbos Hagadol Drashas, or write it in their Sforim?

If yes, can someone name them and what they said please.

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im still looking for names. My relatives think its mostly Mod Orthodox people or people with very limited funds who sell their Chametz Gamur. I havent heard a single Chassidish or Litvish Posek's (who allows it) name.

Has anyone heard any Rebbes or Litvish Rabbonim talk about selling Chametz Gamur in their Shabbos Hagadol Drashas, or write it in their Sforim?

If yes, can someone name them and what they said please.

I’m not comfortable posting my associations here.
You can Pm me
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics