Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Oh! No! Pesach "Horror" Stories
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

melbee

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:22 pm
Many years ago, my FIL looked under the hood of his car on Pesach and found a roll sitting on the engine block. Best guess is a squirrel climbed in there and left it. Now DH is always sure to check under the car hood as part of our Pesach prep LOL

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:23 pm
This is a “whew that was close!” story, not a horror story:

Few weeks before Purim, while visiting family in the “holy city”, I did a big grocery shopping for MM and also bought wine for Pesach. Unpacking at home, a 2-1/2 hour drive away, we found that we’d left the MM behind. Oh, well. we weren’t going back to claim our wafers and whatnot.

The day before Pesach I decided to open the carton of wine and put the bottles in our brand new wine rack. When I opened the carton, there was all our “lost” MM! I was so glad that I decided to do this really superfluous task when I did. Imagine if I’d waited till Erev Pesach afternoon!

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:59 pm
Many years ago, my mom put out matzah farfel to add to our soup. Except the box clearly said - not for Passover use. Never figured out how we missed that.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:11 pm
This happened to my mothers family about 40 years ago.
Bedikas chametz night they only found 9 peices of bread and seder night the 10th peice fell down from the chandelier.
They had to burn it ..

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:29 pm
One year, DH's parents, whom we usually hosted, were both sick, plus we had a baby with some issues. We were so busy and crazy that DH totally forgot to sell our chometz! He realized a day or two into YT, and we had a freezer full, plus a shelf in the pantry. Too much to burn, do we had to talk to our rav about how to dispose of it.

After that, we never sell chometz. Just get rid of every bit.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:31 pm
You guys make me feel better. I am in my 60s but can never get Pesach 100%. This yr I bought some yogurt in the pesach section of a supermarket which said “ kosher for Passover”. I gave my grandson the yogurt and he only took one spoonful and no more. I looked at the yogurt and low and behold there was no kosher for Passover sign!! I went thru all my yogurts and all but 3 had the sign. I called the kosher super market to report the incidence. The owner was quiet and then thanked me for alerting her to this error.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:58 pm
Last year we burnt our chometz, forgetting to add the bag with the ten pieces... We found it on a shelf right before yomtov and had to flush it..

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:08 pm
My parents found a bag of challah on pesach that was left over from shabbos hagadol

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:20 pm
I lit my candles the second day and went over to my mother for the Seder. My husband remembered later that he forgot his erev pesach matzah and went back home to see that one candle fell and the tablecloth and arts and crafts were on fire. Bh he went back!!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
This comment is soooo not in the spirit of this thread.... If you don’t get that, you must be missing the point of the thread. I really hope so. The alternative is that your comment was mean-spirited.

So u mean there are the spirit and intentions of the opthat everyone here has to think into and mind-read about before they post? Hi

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:05 pm
My friend moved to a new neighborhood. Her non jewsih neighbor gifted her a challa for pesach and wished her happy holiday! They know that jews eat challa!!

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:14 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I lit my candles the second day and went over to my mother for the Seder. My husband remembered later that he forgot his erev pesach matzah and went back home to see that one candle fell and the tablecloth and arts and crafts were on fire. Bh he went back!!!

What an outright miracle!!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:22 pm
Second day, dh noticed that our ketchup was NOT marked Kosher for pesach. DH realized it had corn syrup. I realized it had vinegar! The person who bought it was positive it had been in the klp section of the store-which by us is in a separate room. Neighbor also had ketchup from the same store-theirs was klp.

Either way, we had used the ketchup in chulent and as a sauce for a roast. BH, the roast had been cut up and put in a tin before the sauce was poured on top-so that pan (and the utensils, cutting board etc) were fine. The chulent pot and leftover chulent were major questions. And not simple ones. Our rov told us we had to find a rov more knowledgeable in this area.It was that complex. BH, DS is close to a rov he could ask. That rov asked a lot of questions, then had to check into a few things. (questions of when we cooked the food, was it botel beshishim, what kind of vinegar does this company use in its ketchup, how much did the food cost...)

In our case, the roast can be used AFTER pesach. The chulent pot can be used NEXT pesach, not this one any more, if the ketchup was botel beshishim. As I didn't measure it, I have to figure out how much I used by how much is left in the bottle minus what was used for the roast. Have to wait until I buy anew bottle, and try measuring and comparing (it's close, so worth doing).

While I don't blame the shopper or the store, I have now learned that I must double check EVERYTHING before using it.

esuss

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:29 pm
Just as a reminder based on a few posts here. Always check labels of all items for kosher for Pesach. Even if store has separate Pesach store. I have found mistakes in all stores in my town over the years. The stores themselves put signs that you should check everything.

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:42 pm
On chol hamoad, My cleaning lady used a clean rag dunked it in water in a pail we use all year for washing up & was starting to wipe down kitchen table & counters with it. Good thing I realized & handed her a disposable rag so she shouldn't need to dip it in water & could just throw it after use.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:18 am
my friend who used to live in our city moved away and had their first baby in novenber in london. I sent a parcle with a gift, card some stretchies and her favorite cookies, teabags (nonperishables) from her old homecountry...
for some reason noone ever called or texted to say thank you, well I believed she must be very busy with her sweet baby and as a firts time mommy things can get tough and busy...

yesterday she called saying that she has recieved the box YESTERDAY on cholhamoed pessach (after 5 months!). whats wrong with royal mail that it takes almost 5 months to deliver a box from central europe??? anyway the strechies wont fit the baby much longer and I dont know what she will do with the cookies, tea, nosh...

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:35 am
These stories reminded me of a previous Pesach. Our grocery store mixed the matzahs on the shelf- KLP and non KLP! It was in the kosher section of a huge store that many buy their KLP food from. I let the grocery store know...the staff wasn't so interested and really didn't seem to care but the next year I saw they hung a sign that not everything is KLp...
Guess they got enough complaints!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:59 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
So u mean there are the spirit and intentions of the opthat everyone here has to think into and mind-read about before they post? Hi

No, I think it is obvious to everyone on here that this thread is about Pesach “horror” stories where Chametz is found. The clue is in the title. It is clearly not a mussar thread to the tune of “Why didn’t you clean better?” or “Why didn’t you tape up the cupboards properly?” If OP (and other posters) wanted a mussar thread, they would have started one called “Admonish me good and proper, I did not do Bedikas Chametz properly!” or “Help me find magically appearing Cheerios in air vents.” or my personal favorite “Help! My mice keep bringing Chametz to the Seder table.”

No mind-reading required. Just common sense and politeness. Or did that get burned with people’s Chametz? 😉

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 3:50 am
Fresh off the press, just happened yesterday... unfortunately

My MIL isn't Jewish and lives in a relatively poor area in Israel. Being savvy, she regularly goes to her local synagogue where they disperse very cheap food to the needy (eh, she's not needy and hates religious people, but whatever, cheap is cheap). She decided that since she found food with 'our kashrut' (she learned that the swirly sign is Batatz Eidat Charadit) she stocked up and brought a huge bag of it to my thoroughly kosher for pesach house. And of course, since it was our kashrut so it MUST be ok for pesach, by her logic.

And yes, the bag was filled with loaves of Angel's bakery's finest, couscous and breadcrumbs, all of which the synagogue wanted to get rid of in their last pre-pesach sale. Even worse, I was hanging clothes on the line outside our window when my MIL arrived with her bag of goodies and my 3 year old discovered it before me!!!!! Cue me entering the salon to see my tzadika starting to tuck into the bread while sitting in my aluminium and PVC lined chabad-friendly kitchen. I raced over and grabbed it from her and my daughter declared that Savta said it was kasher l'pesach....

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH Banging head Banging head Banging head

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:02 am
Yikes!

My story isn't chametz but a milk/meat mix-up due to our Pesach cutlery not being labelled properly and me not remembering from one year to the next. Anyway, I had to throw out the chicken soup and our only decent sized fleishig pot needs hagala. Which can only happen next erev Pesach....if I manage to remember.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics