Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! 12 month old sleep

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:52 am
My 12 month old was a pretty good sleeper for the last few months. He's wake up once a night and I'd just put his bottle back in his mouth and he'd fall right back to sleep. We are away for pesach now and he is sleeping like a 3 month old! He wakes up screaming every hour or so, won't fall back asleep and I can't figure it out. I think a big part of it is that we're in a bigger house than he's used to and he's spending a lot more time playing and crawling around so he's overstimulated. When I put him to sleep he falls asleep perfectly but these night wakings are crazy.

Please wise and experienced mothers, what can I do to get my good sleeper and sanity back? Can't Believe It

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:22 am
maybe an ear infection? teething? stomach ache? I say check out

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 1:12 pm
Go home. Sorry, but IME this is very normal for infants and toddlers of all ages, and they need to get back to their beds and their routines to get back to their normal sleep patterns. It happens every time I travel Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 1:53 pm
It's definitely not an ear infection but maybe stomach ache, only at night? He's a happy kid all day and naps perfectly, it's just night time. I don't have insurance here and can't afford to spend $75 for a doctor to tell me that it's a phase and it'll pass Sad

Maybe it's teething, I don't know how to tell.

He slept so well the first few night though, what could have changed?

WastingTime

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:08 pm
Hope he's not constantly falling asleep with bottle in his mouth (unless it's water)
Can destroy his teeth

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 2:12 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Hope he's not constantly falling asleep with bottle in his mouth (unless it's water)
Can destroy his teeth

It's water, sometimes even empty, he uses it as a pacifier

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:01 pm
Are you in a house with peeling paint on the walls or windows. Could be lead poisoning.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:31 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Are you in a house with peeling paint on the walls or windows. Could be lead poisoning.

No, nothing peeling. Wouldn't that show signs by day too? He's the happiest little guy during the day

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, nothing peeling. Wouldn't that show signs by day too? He's the happiest little guy during the day

Yes he would have a poor appetite during the day.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:05 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Yes he would have a poor appetite during the day.

No, he's eating very well

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, he's eating very well
probably not lead poisoning then.

I mention it because ot happened to my neighbor. Her kids ate paint chips at her parents.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:43 pm
My guess is that this is just happening because you aren't home.... It's sometimes (often?) hard for little kids to sleep places not home. This happened with my toddler when he was younger and we'd go away overnight. How much longer til you're back at your house?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:52 pm
lucky14 wrote:
My guess is that this is just happening because you aren't home.... It's sometimes (often?) hard for little kids to sleep places not home. This happened with my toddler when he was younger and we'd go away overnight. How much longer til you're back at your house?

Sunday after pesach Sad. I can't survive without sleep til then!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:49 am
Bump
Anyone have any suggestions? It's 3;45 am and I'm desperate for sleep!

ggdm

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 7:50 am
Teething - something for the pain? (But in your place I would like to know that it is teeth suffering first before medication. Also I'd think you see signs during the day, e.g. he is biting on things more, cranky also during a nap, red cheeks, fingers in mouth all the time, ...)

Stomach - less matzah, more of his normal diet as far as possible. (But my guess would be he'd feel unwell during the day too and you would notice less or different diapers)

I assume you are sure that he is not waking out of a real immediate need (hungry, thirsty, cold, diaper). That should not happen every hour. But if he is too excited to eat during the day he may really be hungry at night and wake because of that.

If it is really only the place, try giving him things to recognize from home. Let him sleep on a blanket he knows from home, if you have. Or on some of your worn clothes or a scarf that smell like you. Or stuffed animals or that sort of thing that he knows (be careful of course). Maybe he needs more closeness. Try holding his hand in sleep or put his bed closer to yours or even let him sleep in your bed. Or make time to spend with him to cuddle and calm down very long just before he goes to sleep, so that he can process the day at this point and feel close to you and like home. Maybe more quiet time during the day/evening.

For the future think about introducing some transitional object that he always has for sleeping. It can be a stuffed animal, or it can be something he sleeps on or a blanket that covers him. He will connect the object with sleep. Whereever that object is, he will feel at home and be able to fall asleep and stay sleeping. Of course the downside is, that you can NEVER forget or lose this object!

987gold

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:52 pm
please give tylenol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics