Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Oh! No! Pesach "Horror" Stories
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 10:16 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Another mistake- asked me husband if a certain kind of bottled water was ok and he said yes bec it didnt have “ additives”. Been drinking that water. Yesterday I noticed that it said it had minerals to enhance taste and questioned it again. My husband said that additives can be minerals and it is not kfp! It was also written very small on the bottle that “ minerals were added to enhance taste” so my husband missed it. I hid the bottles of water- cant burn bec I live in a complex. Before Pesach we were allowed to burn the chometz in back of the shul in the complex.

There's nothing to burn as it's not actual chometz (and water doesn't burn). You could have put it away for pesach and then opened the cabinet and enjoyed it after pesach.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 10:19 am
Just this morning - My 4 year old found a pretzel in a box that I scrubbed to the nines and ate a piece of it before he came to ask me if he can eat chometz already. HELLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 10:21 am
Another mistake- asked me husband if a certain kind of bottled water was ok and he said yes bec it didnt have “ additives”. Been drinking that water. Yesterday I noticed that it said it had minerals to enhance taste and questioned it again. My husband said that additives can be minerals and it is not kfp! It was also written very small on the bottle that “ minerals were added to enhance taste” so my husband missed it. I hid the bottles of water- cant burn bec I live in a complex. Before Pesach we were allowed to burn the chometz in back of the shul in the complex.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 10:21 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I keep waking up to my daughters chametz bowls of klp cereal they serve themselves. I keep explaining those are not for cereal on pesach, tape the cabinets, etc but they just find others to use. Every morning so far !

Are they serving themselves chometz cereal? Or just using year round bowls? I wasn't sure from your post. Maybe set out bowls and spoons on the table before you go to sleep so they don't go looking for utensils.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 11:12 am
One year we were invited put for seder, and our hosts bought small gifts for all the attendees to present to them at some point during magid. We're talking dollar-store type tchotchkes, mostly to keep the children engaged, but while she was at it, she bought trinkets for the adults too.

One of her daughters, who had a major exam scheduled post-Pesach, was given a little rubbery "stress ball." She exclaimed, "Ooh boy, I really need this. I.am.so.STRESSED!" and she smashed it flat with her fist.

Poof!

It exploded and white powder went flying all over the seder table, all over the daughter and anyone sitting near her, all over the fine Pesach bone china. We sat in shock. It was cornflour. Did it contain any chametz? Maybe it was just pure cornflour, pure kitniyot? We had no idea what to do.

We gathered up all the exposed dishes and put them in a box and used paper plates, we all changed clothes (luckily we lived around the corner), gathered up the tablecloth by the 4 corners and put everything away until we could assess the situation. The hosts put out a fresh tablecloth, we scrounged together a fresh seder plate, and continued. I never knew what happened to dishes.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 11:28 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Our non-Jewish neighbours are devote Christians and apparently they eat cake on Easter which is shaped like a lamb. They say it's a tradition... Anyway this Easter and pessach was at the same time and they had heard about pessach lamb so they brought this cake as a gift. Which was really sweet but we had to tell them to take it back home... I will bake challah for them next week to make it up to them Confused

Off topic, but Easter always is celebrated around Pesach time lehavdil....
Latin word is "Pascha"....

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:55 pm
I hid the water bottles out of sight for after Pesach. Is this allowed? I thought you cant look at chametz on Pesach so I hid them with a towel.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:58 pm
I hid the water bottles out of sight for after Pesach. Is this allowed? I thought you cant look at chametz on Pesach so I hid them with a towel.

Minerals should not be chometz just not allowed for pesach. You shouldn't have it visible so no consumption mistakes should happen.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:59 pm
Thats what I did- put it in a closet and hid it under a towel. Wasnt thinking it thru when I said that I couldnt burn it lol

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:04 pm
Many times the Pesach Hechsher is written so small that it makes it hard to see( people 60+). We tend to make mistakes bec of thid

sky

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:13 pm

At most it’s kitniyos. You can just put it away for after pesach.

If it was chametz you could destroy also by flushing down toilet. But I don’t think this is chametz.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:16 pm
Just heard story were someone accidentally used their chametz spices on all their roasts they were preparing at once.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:36 pm
I am starting to realize that other people can make an unintentional error on Pesach. In general I am not good with things that are so detailed but I do my best

subee

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:41 pm
We were just at a science museum, and my baby was crawling on the floor near my seat as I watched a wildlife video, I saw something on the floor, picked him up and fished a cheerio out of his mouth.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:57 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
One year we were invited put for seder, and our hosts bought small gifts for all the attendees to present to them at some point during magid. We're talking dollar-store type tchotchkes, mostly to keep the children engaged, but while she was at it, she bought trinkets for the adults too.

One of her daughters, who had a major exam scheduled post-Pesach, was given a little rubbery "stress ball." She exclaimed, "Ooh boy, I really need this. I.am.so.STRESSED!" and she smashed it flat with her fist.

Poof!

It exploded and white powder went flying all over the seder table, all over the daughter and anyone sitting near her, all over the fine Pesach bone china. We sat in shock. It was cornflour. Did it contain any chametz? Maybe it was just pure cornflour, pure kitniyot? We had no idea what to do.

We gathered up all the exposed dishes and put them in a box and used paper plates, we all changed clothes (luckily we lived around the corner), gathered up the tablecloth by the 4 corners and put everything away until we could assess the situation. The hosts put out a fresh tablecloth, we scrounged together a fresh seder plate, and continued. I never knew what happened to dishes.

This is one of the coolest and funniest stories ever, and I loved the POOF font effect.
I think you might be the winner of this thread!

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 6:18 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
This is one of the coolest and funniest stories ever, and I loved the POOF font effect.
I think you might be the winner of this thread!

I agree. While I commiserated with most other posts,I laughed out loud at that one and had to read it to ds who was nearby.

EishesYo

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 6:41 pm
You guys make me feel better. I am in my 60s but can never get Pesach 100%. This yr I bought some yogurt in the pesach section of a supermarket which said “ kosher for Passover”. I gave my grandson the yogurt and he only took one spoonful and no more. I looked at the yogurt and low and behold there was no kosher for Passover sign!! I went thru all my yogurts and all but 3 had the sign. I called the kosher super market to report the incidence. The owner was quiet and then thanked me for alerting her to this error.

We found KFP on the EXP stamp

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 4:02 pm
Years ago at my parents Seder they had invited our Jewish babysitter - an older lady but totally unaffiliated - in middle of the Seder she announces oh I forgot to give the kids the treats I bought at the kosher grocery - and pulls out a package of chometz wafers! Was very awkward as we had to explain...

Rappel

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 4:19 pm
Alright, I'm here to bare my shame:

I keep my baking goods in orderly containers at the top of the fridge, so I can use them with ease. Today, on Shabbat, I turned one of the containers around and... Saw yeast. A lot of yeast. Nearly a kilo in total.

I haven't a CLUE how I missed LITERAL CHAMETZ IN MY FRIDGE when I cleaned it out for pesach, but there it was. Me and DH did the fridge together while the kids were napping one day, so I guess it fell between the cracks as we sorted through the products. When I was freaking out today, he didn't understand why - he didn't realize that dried yeast is chametz gamur. So maybe that's how the mistake happened.

I'm shaking. I feel like it's a sign that I didn't do a proper cheshbon hanefesh this year. I'm doing a lot of soul searching now!

dankbar

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 9:54 pm
I'm not sure if today's dry yeast is actually chometz gamur. Find out.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics