Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cottonseed oil makes you sick?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:51 pm
On the thread of Pesach horror stories, someone mentioned that her DC got sick from lots of cottonseed oil. Is this a real thing?

Might this explain why my stomach has been hurting all Pesach?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:58 pm
It's an awful oil. Stay away for your health (though if you buy anything store bought you can't run away from it - so at least limit it by not cooking or baking with it).

thanks

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:35 pm
I made my own mayo with olive oil so I can stay away from cotto seed and vegetable oil.

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:39 pm
Cottonseed oil turns into trans fat when fried,like vegetable oil? I'm asking because someone gave me some bottles, which I dont use pesach but I want to know for after pesach if I should use it or not?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:48 pm
What I meant was, I know it's not good for your health long-term because it contains pesticides, but can it really make a difference to how I feel in the short-term?

(I'm a guest for Yom Tov, so I don't get much say in what kind of oil my hosts are using!)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
On the thread of Pesach horror stories, someone mentioned that her DC got sick from lots of cottonseed oil. Is this a real thing?

Might this explain why my stomach has been hurting all Pesach?

I have a question regarding cottonseed all together
Someone recently mentioned to me that it’s kitniyot
Anyone ever heard that?!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:53 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Anyone ever heard that?!

It's not kitniyos. Some people don't eat it because their parents didn't have cottonseed oil in Europe.

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:54 pm
I heard about this can be a shailah of kitniot, however all pesach goods products are made with cottonseed oil, even with best most strict hechsheirim think potato chips etc...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What I meant was, I know it's not good for your health long-term because it contains pesticides, but can it really make a difference to how I feel in the short-term?

(I'm a guest for Yom Tov, so I don't get much say in what kind of oil my hosts are using!)

It could be the oil, it could be the matzah, it could be you're all stuffed up with potatoes and potato starch. Eat lots of green salad, drink water, and maybe buy some KLP stomach vitamins to help your tummy.

pizza4

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:03 pm
We don't use cottonseed because our rav holds it is kitnios.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Anyone ever heard that?!

About 25 years ago in the r’ Blumenkrantz book he wrote that there was a concern with the possibility that cottonseed oil might be a problem. 2 years later he wrote that he looked into the matter and he felt that it was fine to use on pesach.
If a person only read the concern and not the later edition they might still mistakenly believe that there’s a problem with cottonseed oil when it’s really fine.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

cotton seed oil is the cheapest so most probably all these pesach hotels and programs use cotton seed oil.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:16 pm
I stopped buying cottonseed oil or "vegetable" oil for Pesach years ago. The only oil I use is olive oil, and I no longer feel that heavy sick yucky feeling that I used to have on Pesach. (I do use the Pesach mayo which does have cottonseed oil, and I am sure other things I buy have that in there, but that's it.)

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 3:38 pm
dankbar wrote:
I heard about this can be a shailah of kitniot, however all pesach goods products are made with cottonseed oil, even with best most strict hechsheirim think potato chips etc...

That's why growing up we didn't eat potato chips LOL no cottonseed oil meant no cottonseed oil. Not just no cottonseed oil except...

studying_torah

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 11:23 pm
Other than olive oil, what oil do you use on pessach for cooking?
I find walnut oil burns on the stove, but it makes very soft yummy cakes.

Cottonseed oil made my potato kugel taste weird....

Pooh

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 11:25 pm
Anything containing cottonseed oil gives me acne. I discovered this one year when I got 13 pimples per meal and did elimination until it made sense and never bought it ever again. I don’t eat mayo things on pesach but serve it for everyone else who doesn’t react to it

etky

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:41 am
Cottonseed oil is no longer widely used by the food industry in E'Y because it is kitniyot according to the Eidah charedit. Although there are numerous other Ashkenazi poskim here who hold that it is not kitniyot, the food industry understandably seeks the greatest common denominator. It's similar to what happened with peanut oil in the US during the 1960's and 70's.
Here the most widely used oil in processed non-kitniyot Pesach food is palm oil, which is even grosser than cottonseed.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:49 am
In Israel the oil sold for Pesach is nut oil, much much healthier.
If I have guests with nut allergies I use olive oil. Not extra virgin but the lighter kind. It works fine for baking too

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:52 am
etky wrote:
Cottonseed oil is no longer widely used by the food industry in E'Y because it is kitniyot according to the Eidah charedit. Although there are numerous other Ashkenazi poskim here who hold that it is not kitniyot, the food industry understandably seeks the greatest common denominator. It's similar to what happened with peanut oil in the US during the 1960's and 70's.
Here the most widely used oil in processed non-kitniyot Pesach food is palm oil, which is even grosser than cottonseed.

Palm oil is actually one of the better anti- inflammatory oils.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:52 am
WastingTime wrote:
In Israel the oil sold for Pesach is nut oil, much much healthier.
If I have guests with nut allergies I use olive oil. Not extra virgin but the lighter kind. It works fine for baking too

Yes, nut oil is wonderful, but unfortunately the food industry does not use it in processed food as it's exorbitantly expensive - many times the price of palm oil which is very cheap.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics