Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to keep kids calm??!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 6:18 pm
First of all, I really am a calm mother. I generally keep calm both inside and out and get comments all the time from people regarding what a calm mother I am.

That said, I have a few kids, the oldest is 10. Two of them have tons of energy and the others feed off of them. I feel like it takes 30 seconds for them to wind up. My kids are the rowdy ones you'll see. They don't know what to do with themselves when they first meet other people and act really loud and giggly. They're really good kids but SO loud and they get wild so easily. I put tons of effort into keeping a calm house but its not working.

How do you keep your kids calm??

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 6:32 pm
Some of it comes down to personality. Of course you can have reasonable rules and expectations, but you also have to respect that their personalities may be very different from yours. It's also very likely that they'll tone things down as they move into older stages.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 10:23 pm
You don't 😀

ectomorph

Post Sat, Apr 27 2019, 10:56 pm
I have one kid like that. They wind my others up. I use videos to calm her down sometimes.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 5:09 am
Why is calmness your ultimate goal?
Kids who have personality shouldn't be shamed for it. They are normal , healthy kids. Try to work on accepting them and how they are different than you and the ideal child that you imagine

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 5:18 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Kids who have personality shouldn't be shamed for it. They are normal , healthy kids. Try to work on accepting them and how they are different than you and the ideal child that you imagine

This. We're a loud house. Some are calmer than others but it's a personality trait. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or each other, why do you care? They're carefree. Let them be kids.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:54 am
Use multisensory perception like rubbing his back. Make him aware of the feeling of whats it like to be in his own body. Make him stop ajd Do a fishy face together so he can practice inhale exhale.

cholentfan1

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:17 am
sensory activities can help. Sitting on a 'wobble cushion' can help a child stay seated for longer. Fidget toys can also do that. Tight hugs from you where you squeeze their body to make them more aware.
I went with a child to OT where they were using part of a approach called the Feldenkrais method which looks at increasing awareness of the body and how different part are interlinked, using hands on touch. The child really responded to it.
With my own kids, I try and allow them out as much as possible. Outdoors really gives them the opportunity to work off some steam and use up energy-if they're not calm outside, no one minds.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:21 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

You know, I was just thinking about this. My MIL was here for my son's 5th birthday. He was so excited to tell her everything, that he was yelling it at her. She kept telling him the whole time that she can only hear him if he speaks more quietly. So eventually he did. But I felt so bad for him! He was just so excited to share everything with her, and by the end he didn't seem nearly as excited. We don't see them often, and I just thought what a shame that she got a quiet kid but missed the connection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics