Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question for writers/editors

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 1:26 pm
I edit and write articles for a lifestyle brand and my boss is always on tight deadlines. I find that I need to take numerous breaks from an article so that I can get a fresh look at it- and when I do this, I often see that it requires additional editing- which inevitably means that the final draft isn't always ready by the deadline.

Is this standard or is something wrong with my process? Not sure how to create a piece that is up-to-standard, and still ensure that my boss is getting articles on time.

nchr

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 1:40 pm
Nothing will ever be perfect, even after multiple edits. You can only do your best within the allotted time.

forgetit

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:30 pm
You're right about the 'break' giving you a fresh perspective. I think they're quite necessary. If you can't do it, you can't. Perhaps you can discuss this with your boss? Ask her for x amount of turnaround time, and explain that you're both set to benefit?
If that won't work, perhaps you can have another pair of eyes look through it? Either pay someone, or ask a different friend or sibling each time.

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:40 pm
I agree about the break. For long turnaround times (say, two weeks) I pretend the deadline is a week earlier than it actually is, so that I have time to clean it up before it's due.

When I worked the news desk, turnaround times were very rapid. There, the policy was that we always had a second pair of eyes look over an article before we put it up. But policies break down at the worst of times. LOL If I was the only one on shift, and it wasn't breaking news, then I would often write an article, then leave it as a draft for an extra 10 minutes while I wrote a second article, before I went back to proofread the first. That usually gave me slightly fresher eyes.

Last edited by Rappel on Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:43 pm
I agree that switching to a different text can help refresh your eyes.

Another suggestion I got is to print it out. Many people spot errors more easily on an actual page.

nchr

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:26 pm
nchr wrote:
Nothing will ever be perfect, even after multiple edits. You can only do your best within the allotted time.

I want to add that I'm not a writer but use technical writers all the time and work in a detail oriented field so I felt my response could be informative and helpful.

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:32 pm
Do you tend to self edit? I recently read a tip that said to pick a silly/not serious font .. like comic sans, and type everything at once. Then switch the font back to Time New Roman or Ariel or whatever and then edit.

Bc the font is something you don't take seriously as you write, it stops you from going back during the writing process.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 6:45 am
Thanks for some great suggestions.
It's challenging that my boss doesn't appreciate the process, but I will try out some of the ideas here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics