Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Phone plan with free new phones

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 10:55 am
Anyone here on a plan that comes with a new phone and free trade in upgrades? Which one would you recommend? How much do you pay per month? I’d like to get the Samsung galaxy s9 but don’t want to spend 500$ upfront. Any ideas?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:52 am
I have been looking for this too, but my sense is that the deals,are not with the newest models. I have been looking at the 6-8 models for both Samsung and iPhone.

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:25 pm
You never actually got a free phone - the cost of the phone was just "baked" into the monthly fee.

The business model has moved away from that because many people realized that buying a phone at the beginning was less expensive in the long run especially if you are the kind of person who doesn't need to upgrade every two years.

However, you can achieve the same result by buying the phone on an installment play and most providers offer this on all (or most) of their phones. The difference is that you realize exactly how much you are paying for the phone each month - essentially you are using credit to pay for the phone. However, at the end of the specific time, you own the phone outright.

Apple has some kind of variant (as do other sources) where you pay a higher rate and then have the ability to keep trading in your phone. These kinds of plans are really intended for people who must have the latest.

I bought the iPhone X when it came out in November 2017 and I have no plans to upgrade it until it starts not working properly or if there is some upgrade that it a must have. But I would imagine that won't happen for awhile.

There really is no such thing as a "free lunch". The best way to proceed is to get a mobile plan that makes the most sense for you and then purchase the phone you want. Either buy outright; use the mobile provider's financing plan or put it on a credit card - whatever makes the most sense economically for you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:27 pm
Amarante wrote:
You never actually got a free phone - the cost of the phone was just "baked" into the monthly fee.

The business model has moved away from that because many people realized that buying a phone at the beginning was less expensive in the long run especially if you are the kind of person who doesn't need to upgrade every two years.

However, you can achieve the same result by buying the phone on an installment play and most providers offer this on all (or most) of their phones. The difference is that you realize exactly how much you are paying for the phone each month - essentially you are using credit to pay for the phone. However, at the end of the specific time, you own the phone outright.

Apple has some kind of variant (as do other sources) where you pay a higher rate and then have the ability to keep trading in your phone. These kinds of plans are really intended for people who must have the latest.

I bought the iPhone X when it came out in November 2017 and I have no plans to upgrade it until it starts not working properly or if there is some upgrade that it a must have. But I would imagine that won't happen for awhile.

There really is no such thing as a "free lunch". The best way to proceed is to get a mobile plan that makes the most sense for you and then purchase the phone you want. Either buy outright; use the mobile provider's financing plan or put it on a credit card - whatever makes the most sense economically for you.

Thanks for explaining that!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics