Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
No-cleaning-help Hacks

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 8:43 am
Long story short- my cleaning lady may not be coming back.
I am a full-time employee with a 2 and a half year old and another on the way (iyh! Yay!). And no cleaning help for the meanwhile.
How do you keep your house clean and neat without going absolutely crazy? I need some good ideas and hacks.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 8:57 am
You lower your expectation, for one thing. My husband does the cleaning, weekly, so I’m lucky but I can’t be picky we to how well he does it

momsrus

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:13 am
Take 15-20 minutes to straighten up every night, so the mess doesn’t pile up.

Sort laundry into separate laundry baskets so you can find things easier and fold when you get a chance.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:50 am
Drop cleaning tablets into the toilet tank and replace as needed. You won't have to scrub as often.
Use Swiffer floor cleaning products for quick easy clean floors.
Use a no rinse spray on the tub while it's wet after every shower and bath. You won't have to scrub as often.
Stock up on Clorox cleaning wipes.
Use cheap disposable plastic tablecloths on the kitchen table and replace after each meal.

smss

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 9:55 am
ra_mom wrote:
Drop cleaning tablets into the toilet tank and replace as needed. You won't have to scrub as often.
Use a no rinse spray on the tub while it's wet after every shower and bath. You won't have to scrub as often.
Stock up on Clorox cleaning wipes.
Use cheap disposable plastic tablecloths on the kitchen table and replace after each meal.

Great tips!

crust

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 10:02 am
ra_mom wrote:

Is there a similar mop to this that is not battery operated?

momsrus

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 10:06 am
crust wrote:
Is there a similar mop to this that is not battery operated?

Swifter sweeper wet is not battery operated.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 10:15 am
I have 4 kids and for a while I didn’t have cleaning help.
Here’s what worked for me.

Garbages taken out daily
No dishes in sink before going to bed
Front of house (what people see when they come to your door) should always look presentable
Little kids love to mop! Get them started and then you take over for finishing touch ( once a week)
Bathrooms- wipe down with Lysol wipes as needed
Laundry... I did each persons laundry separately because putting away clean laundry was sooo much easier if I only had to put away one persons things
Bedrooms... I honestly let them go when I had no cleaning help but I did make a rule that no toys/games in bedrooms

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 10:19 am
Robo vac. I love it. You can program it on your phone to vacuum while you work.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:19 am
Your husband should be fully involved. Besides for the physical help, he may have different ideas for the house that really work.

Disposables. I love thee.

See what bothers you the most and prioritize that. You can't do everything.

Keep the entrance area clean. Even if your house is a mess, walking into a clean area really makes a difference in perspective.

Get your kids used to putting away what they're playing with before moving to the next activity. I'm really weak with this but it would make such a difference.

ddmom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 3:31 pm
Don't use tablets with bleach in the tank! It ruins the rubber flap. I learnt the hard way and had to replace it! Sad

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 3:34 pm
Keep cleaning spray in each bathroom if possible and do a little bit a cleaning everyday to keep it looking good in between thorough job!
(You can also clean while your toddler is in the bath! You're in the bathroom anyway! LOL )

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 3:44 pm
I haven't had a cleaning help in a while and it was a bit of an adjustment for me. Here's what works for me:

Get dh on board with whatever household tasks he can commit to on a regular basis. Knowing that he'll handle x and y is HUGE.

Roomba is essential for me since cleaning floors is difficult when I'm pregnant and the kids manage to create a constant need for cleaning.

Disposables whenever you feel like it, so dishes don't pile up as fast.

I find it easiest to dedicate specific days to specific tasks. That way they're not constantly on my head.

I fold every load of laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer. It goes straight on my bed, and the only place is goes from there is into people's drawers. It's more manageable for me than dealing with an endless mountain to fold.

Keep spray bottles and paper towel rolls in all bathrooms and in the kitchen so you can grab and spray any time you have a minute, without running around looking for supplies.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 4:36 pm
Wowowow these are amazing tips! Thank you! Keep em comin'

My husband is out of the house from 7am to 10:30pm! He's wonderful on sundays, watching our 2.5yo while I clean up from shabbos and run errands.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 8:44 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I haven't had a cleaning help in a while and it was a bit of an adjustment for me. Here's what works for me:

Get dh on board with whatever household tasks he can commit to on a regular basis. Knowing that he'll handle x and y is HUGE.

Roomba is essential for me since cleaning floors is difficult when I'm pregnant and the kids manage to create a constant need for cleaning.

Disposables whenever you feel like it, so dishes don't pile up as fast.

I find it easiest to dedicate specific days to specific tasks. That way they're not constantly on my head.

I fold every load of laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer. It goes straight on my bed, and the only place is goes from there is into people's drawers. It's more manageable for me than dealing with an endless mountain to fold.

Keep spray bottles and paper towel rolls in all bathrooms and in the kitchen so you can grab and spray any time you have a minute, without running around looking for supplies.

Which Roomba do you recommend?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:39 am
Really fast Shower/ bath tub hack

use Swifter duster mop ( the one that does not spray and you attach duster wipes) attach wipe to mop
Spray shower with chlorox spray bleach
Rinse shower with removable shower head ( I highly recommend having this kind of shower head, it makes a great hose for rinsing fast!)

wipe down with the mop the entire shower and rinse.

Using the mop will cover more surface area and save your back from bending!

Also, use the swifter duster mop to clean your bathroom floors:

Lightly spray the dust pad with cleaner and then "mop" the floor. All the hair and debris will stick to the mop like magic!

I can clean my bathroom in about 15minutes using this method. Smile

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:41 am
I have two kids and pregnant and never had cleaning help but I a live in a small apartment which is probably easier.
I also happen to love having a clean house and I can't think straight in a mess. I am always cleaning.

The key is to be really on top of the house all the time.

I don't leave dishes or pots in the sink overnight unless I made supper for the next night.
I clean up before my husband comes home and clean up/stove top too and make sure my house is clean before I go to bed.

I sweep the floors every night. I vacuum once or twice a wk.

Laundry is done on Sunday and sometimes I will do a quick load later in the week.
My husband does the errands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry