Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Found chometz what do I do?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:56 pm
I found a bag of small bagels that I put in my car before pesach with intentions to go feed the birds. While we were cleaning the car for pesach one of the kids put it somewhere in the car and I didnt find it til now Banging head . I thought we threw it out while we were cleaning the car!
I cant flush it down the toilet too much...what do I do? Can't Believe It

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 5:59 pm
from my past experience I was told to burn it

abaker

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:10 pm
Burn it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:13 pm
Call a Rav.

Eureka!

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:13 pm
It happens...
Also happened by me... and it happens.
We're only human!
Just burn it.

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:15 pm
When I found the 10th piece of bread on yom tov, I threw it out and garbage was picked up Monday. I should have burnt it instead?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:18 pm
abaker wrote:
Burn it.

It will be a whole production to burn it...gulp...like make a large bonfire in my backyard?
Its a bag full
I was hoping not to have to announce it to my whole extended family who I am with

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:30 pm
chestnut wrote:
When I found the 10th piece of bread on yom tov, I threw it out and garbage was picked up Monday. I should have burnt it instead?

I found chametz that was meant to be burnt but somehow got overlooked. My husband said to cover up the bag and he burnt it after yom tov. bh we have a fireplace so it wasn't a big deal.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:23 pm
do you sell real chometz? ask your LOR what to do.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It will be a whole production to burn it...gulp...like make a large bonfire in my backyard?
Its a bag full
I was hoping not to have to announce it to my whole extended family who I am with

Hatzlacha however this works out.
Think of it this way: This is not the way you would have preferred things went but since this is the situation, you now have the opportunity to deal with it halachically. The same halacha that says burn it before yom tov tells us what to do if things like this happen. Lean in to it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:39 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hatzlacha however this works out.
Think of it this way: This is not the way you would have preferred things went but since this is the situation, you now have the opportunity to deal with it halachically. The same halacha that says burn it before yom tov tells us what to do if things like this happen. Lean in to it.

Gulp thanx

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 9:58 pm
OP, it's a teachable moment for your kids.
If anyone else makes you feel bad, nebach, they didn't deal with the bein odom lachaveiro part halachically. Feel compassion for them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:00 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
do you sell real chometz? ask your LOR what to do.

End of the day best advice Smile
LoR said " is it edible?"
Im like "well technically cuz it has tons of preservatives in it"
LOr "would you eat it?"
Me "no! Its been in the car for 2 weeks"
LoR "so just throw it out"
Yay!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 10:06 pm
OP, hats off! You did everything appropriately. And you get brownie points, matzah meal or potato starch.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I found a bag of small bagels that I put in my car before pesach with intentions to go feed the birds. While we were cleaning the car for pesach one of the kids put it somewhere in the car and I didnt find it til now Banging head . I thought we threw it out while we were cleaning the car!
I cant flush it down the toilet too much...what do I do? Can't Believe It

Certainly not ask the question here! Uh....CALL YOUR RABBI. Can't Believe It

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:17 am
This happened once when DD was little. She shoved a sandwich under a dresser, and I didn't find it until chol hamoed.

Because she was with me when we did bedikas chametz and we said the brocha in English as well as Hebrew, I took this as a teachable moment.

"Oh no, look at this chametz! We declared all the chametz in this house ownerless, so we don't own this chametz. We can't eat it, because it doesn't belong to us (nevermind that it was totally gross and stale). I wonder who's chametz this is? We can't keep it here! What should we do with it?"

Then we soaked it in Clorox, and put it in the trash. We took the trash straight to the dumpster.

Zehu.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:52 am
I had to share this. It was in the Pesach Yated:

BEER HERE

One year at the Pesach seder of Rav Yochanan Twersky of Tolna, one of the children entered the room holding a bottle of beer. Everyone sitting there gasped. The child was holding a bottle of chometz at the Seder!

The only person who remained calm was Rav Yochanan himself. He stood up, gently approached the child and instructed him to put the bottle of beer on the ground. Then he took an empty bowls and covered the bottle placing a white cloth over the bow.

Turning to the child Rav Yochanan, showing no angst, smiled. "Yingele, I must thank you! You have enabled me to fulfill the command of Chazal who instruct (Pesachim 6a) that if one finds chometz on Pesach, 'kofah alav kl,' he should cover it with a utensil. Now was the instruction given to g0yim? No! Of course not. It's an instruction to a Yid who encounters chometz on Pesach. Thank you for making it possible for me to fulfill the words of our sages!"

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 1:28 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I had to share this. It was in the Pesach Yated:

BEER HERE

One year at the Pesach seder of Rav Yochanan Twersky of Tolna, one of the children entered the room holding a bottle of beer. Everyone sitting there gasped. The child was holding a bottle of chometz at the Seder!

The only person who remained calm was Rav Yochanan himself. He stood up, gently approached the child and instructed him to put the bottle of beer on the ground. Then he took an empty bowls and covered the bottle placing a white cloth over the bow.

Turning to the child Rav Yochanan, showing no angst, smiled. "Yingele, I must thank you! You have enabled me to fulfill the command of Chazal who instruct (Pesachim 6a) that if one finds chometz on Pesach, 'kofah alav kl,' he should cover it with a utensil. Now was the instruction given to g0yim? No! Of course not. It's an instruction to a Yid who encounters chometz on Pesach. Thank you for making it possible for me to fulfill the words of our sages!"

Thanks! Yesterday I had some quiet time with my son and I told him the whole story with finding chometz and I was happy to be able to share my victory and share this lesson
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions