Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How important is doing bloodwork?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:17 am
My 14 yr old dd takes medication for anxiety. She is indescribably petrified of doing bloodwork. We literally held her down a year ago while she was kicking and screaming. Her psychiatric says it's been a year and we need bloodwork again. I understand the reason is to make sure her body is compatible with the meds. I asked the psychiatrist how necessary this is. His attitude is that why should he take any chances and continue to prescribe meds that potentially aren't good. I feel like this is a 1 in a million scenario. I'd rather not put my daughter thru thru this trauma unless absolutely necessary. Does anybody have any insight with this? Thanks.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:22 am
I'm the mother of a 17 year old DD who takes medication for a mood disorder and a thyroid condition. She goes for bloodwork every 3 months - or more often, if she has symptoms.

Your DD's psychiatrist sounds not only right - but actually, some doctors would insist on much more frequent bloodwork.

My daughter used to be petrified of bloodwork, but she has gotten so used to it that by now, it's no big deal. It makes me think of myself as a teen - I too was scared of bloodwork. At Dor Yesharim testing, I was literally the last in my class, as I couldn't get myself to do it. But you know, by now it's no big deal - I've been pregnant and thru childbirth - it's just a part of life.

Help your daughter by putting her health before her anxieties, and teach her to get over them, rather than enable them.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:51 am
It's important. Not sure which med she is on exactly but likely needs to check her kidney and liver function.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:56 am
Some phlebotomists are better than others. I used to dread bloodwork. Then I found a bunch of labs where the phlebotomists are used to dealing with worse veins than mine. Now it's no big deal. (I would recommend the labs I go to, but I'm OOT, so they won't help you any.)

It is worthwhile finding someone who does not make your daughter miserable.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:27 am
The blood work is extremely important.

When one of my kids needed frequent blood work, we took them to a special lab that is excellent for kids. I am oot but I'm sure something similar would exist in NY.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:37 am
Depending on the medicine it can be very important. I assume it's much more of a risk than 1 in a million for the doctor to request it. I would take your daughter for therapy to get over the anxiety of the blood tests.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:06 am
Definitely important.
Speak to her therapist and/or psychiatrist how to prep her for the bloodwork and keep her calm.

singleagain

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:29 am
I used to be so terrified of needless that I have a vivid memory from when I was about 5, hiding under a chair crying bc my brother was getting his finger stuck (not even a full blood test) my mom told me they needed 5 ppl to hold me down for the finger stick.

I agree that helping your daughter get to the root of her blood work anxiety is the best thing for her. Especially, since blood work is very important not just for this medicine but for life health.

Also, def it helps to have a paitent/understanding phlebotomist. My mother is also bad at blood work and she likes the phlebotomist, to tell her stories take about their kids or vacation stories or something.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:52 pm
Reminder for when you do go: And make sure she drinks tons of water before ! ( I don't drink enough and beside for my small veins I was told it makes it much harder!)

Its Friday

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:56 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Reminder for when you do go: And make sure she drinks tons of water before ! ( I don't drink enough and beside for my small veins I was told it makes it much harder!)

I agree, Ask around which place is nice to pediatrics. there are nice places

monseymom25

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:58 pm
Does her psychiatrist know about this fear? It sounds like it disrupts normal life and should be addressed with the doctor and in therap.

trixx

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 12:59 pm
Very very important, I'm surprised she's not supposed to be getting it done more often. Whenever you are on meds of any kind you should be even more on top of getting it done.

enjoying kids

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:33 pm
Shop around for a very supportive phlebotomist, and ask your doctor for emla cream to numb the area.

enjoying kids

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:35 pm
It could be a ptsd reaction. Please speak to her in a nonconfrontational way to find out why she is so scared.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 6:19 pm
Buzzyhelps.com

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 6:58 pm
She might have a phobia for needles
Some hospitals have a phobia clinic
Which can help you get over you’re phobias

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 5:49 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
It's important. Not sure which med she is on exactly but likely needs to check her kidney and liver function.

Same here, every 3 months. If the levels get too high it could be life threatening.

Don't let your DD watch the needle go in. Hold her hand, and have her look into your eyes. That way she won't be able to magnify in her mind what is going on. Things always hurt more if you watch it. That's the way the brain is made.

I'm 53, I've been poked a million times, and I STILL don't look! Once the needle is in, I'm totally OK with seeing my blood. It's that first few seconds that make it scary.

If DD is really having a hard time, or has small veins, get the blood work done at a clinic that specializes in only doing blood draws. These people are AMAZING. Quick, painless, and used to working with hysterical toddlers. I'm convinced that whatever they are getting paid, it is not enough.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 7:03 am
Some hospitals have a Child Life Department. A Child Life therapist can help you prepare for the blood draw and work with the pediatric phlebotomist during the blood draw.
Some kids like to be distracted and others actually like to watch because it gives them more of a feeling of control over the situation. If your dd likes distraction, let het brings ear buds and play something that will take her to her "happy place".
A pp mentioned Emla cream which may help your dd feel more confident and less fearful. You need to get a prescription, get the medicine and time it so that it's effective when you're ready to start.
Be sure that all the adults in the room are calm and supportive. Some parents transition from soothing to pleading to threatening which doesn't help the situation.
I agree with PPs who say to have her therapist help her prepare.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics