Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Pet therapy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:12 pm
I'm wondering I having a small or can help my son regulate his emotions. He can be the sweetest child ever, helpful, friendly, trying to please. But then one thing sets him off, or he's tired, hungry, after a long day at school... and he cn become impossible. Throw tantrum the are not age appropriate anymore, tell, throw things...
I've been thinking that OT for sensory integration might help. But we've also noticed that every time we go to a farm or petting zoo, he lights up. He's so gentle with the animals, feeds them, is not at all scared to hold them or have them climb all over him (unlike many city kids I know that take time to warm up...) So we are wondering if have a pet rabbit or something like that, would be beneficial to him.

So my question is, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Which small animal would be best suited for this?

A different thought, I once heard of a from therapy farm in the tristate area. Anyone know info about it? I could speak with them about this too

TIA

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:35 pm
Following. Would love a oet for my son. You mentioned a rabbit: When I spoke to one of his evaluators about this she advised me not to get a rabbit as theyre quick animals: not as cuddly as they seem

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:43 pm
Any pet should be great, as long as they are friendly. Rabbits need a yard or a big cage. Wouldn't work if you live in a little apartment.

I have birds and they are extremely therapeutic for my boys. My son walks around outside with one of the birds on his shoulder. It knows how to fly a bit, but not enough to get lost. And besides, it will always fly back to his shoulder after a moment.

Birds are easy to take care of. They need to be provided with fresh food and water every day, and the cage has to be cleaned about once a week. The trick is to get a friendly one that will allow your kid to hold it. The best way to ensure it will be friendly is to get it from someone who breeds them and holds the baby birds a lot from the time they are born. Also, if you have more than one bird, they will become friends with each other and not so much with humans.

We used to have hamsters, but I hated them and I was always afraid they would escape and be loose in the house. And we had goldfish, but it's hard to bond with a goldfish.

sequoia

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:46 pm
Bunnies are cute but actually don’t make great pets.

Some cats are very friendly, like dogs, and super low-maintenance.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:57 pm
There is a world of per therapy. Great idea!
Rats are actually friendly and let u hold them. Friendly cat if you are up for it.
I have heard of that farm. It is near Lakewood.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:02 am
Look into Guinea pigs. Better alternative to rabbits.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 1:07 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Look into Guinea pigs. Better alternative to rabbits.

Came here to say this - or a hamster

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 6:08 am
I agree with guniea pig or hamster, if you are in a small apartment.

I find dogs to be extremely intuitive, and can sense whenever I am upset and need extra cuddles. A small dog would work, like a miniature poodle. They are super smart, and he could teach it tricks. That makes for a great social tool with other kids. Having something to get him to walk around the block is good, too.

You didn't mention his age, so that will factor in, of course. Also make sure that whatever you get, no one in your family is allergic.

If touching soft things is a soothing mechanism for him, do you think that carrying a scrap of rabbit fur in his pocket would help, for when he's away from home? You can go to a thrift store and get a really cheap rabbit coat, and cut the pelts down so he'll have lots of "fidgets" in case some get lost.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:36 am
There is Green Meadows in Howell, NJ a frum agency outside of Lakewood that has OT and social work. It's great if you have insurance that covers out of network mental health. There is also Sweet Dreams and Suss Farms/Stables outside of Lakewood that have some animal programs.

If you think he has sensory issues, go for an OT eval. A pet is nice but can't take the place of therapy.

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:42 am
Oneofakind: these sound interesting. Would tou know if green meadows is an aba based therapy? Also, is sweet dreams and suss farms the same things? I’m having trouble finding that online

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:47 am
Oh- I found a dr. Suss stables in Jackson- perhaps thats it.
I would love more info on green meadows. It sounds nice but their website sounded like it may be an ABA based therapy which we are staying away from for now. If anyone knows more about this place I’d love to hear

Petra

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:42 am
I agree that a pet might be premature. Especially if the novelty wears off and now you are left with a pet you didn't intend to have. And rabbits are not good pets for smaller children. They are flighty and don't usually like being held. Falls from cradling arms leads to a lot of spine injuries for rabbits.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 1:55 pm
Mybestiecharlie is a therapy dog.
Check him out maybe it's what your looking for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)