Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hitting milestones after IUGR

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 8:51 am
My baby was born after being induced at 36 weeks as he had IUGR. He was born very tiny and weak. TG he is thriving and gaining weight amazingly and generally adorable!!
He is heading to 6 months and doesn’t roll and shows no interest in starting food. Can’t think of anything else he should possibly be doing at this age!
I know 36 weeks isn’t all that early but still considered premature. Do I give him an extra month to hit milestones as in not expect them before an extra month? What is the norm with early babies? Does the IUGR make a difference? Drs said he will be on par with his peers by about age 2, but unsure if that’s just weight or does that mean all milestones can be delayed?

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:07 am
Mazel tov on your baby! May you see much naches. I was induced at 37 weeks due to iugr. My child was a bit delayed in certain areas but once she caught up- boy did she catch up! She was very week and sleepy in the beginning. I received physical therapy for her torticollis and occupational therapy for other areas.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:44 am
It is very individual . My daughter caught up by around a year but I think it varies based on how small/ how underdeveloped the baby was.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:11 pm
Amen and thank you so much! It’s comforting to hear other people’s stories.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:26 pm
There are many children who are born full term without complications who don't necessarily meet those milestones in that timeline. Another thing to watch out for is smiling, eye contact, social interaction and vocalizing/cooing. If you continue to be concerned you can always call early intervention in your area. Most children catch up eventually whether or not they need a bit of a push to get there. Lots of nachas!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:32 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
There are many children who are born full term without complications who don't necessarily meet those milestones in that timeline. Another thing to watch out for is smiling, eye contact, social interaction and vocalizing/cooing. If you continue to be concerned you can always call early intervention in your area. Most children catch up eventually whether or not they need a bit of a push to get there. Lots of nachas!!

Aw amen thank you! BH he is definitely doing all those things so that is reassuring. Thank you for being so clear.

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:42 pm
Deleted

Last edited by aricelli on Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 3:58 pm
Totally normal.. You can ask for ei evaluation if still worried in 2 months

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:01 pm
I just want to point out that while the standard expectation is for kids to catch up by age two, it's not unusual for preemies to experience longer lasting delays in some areas (fine motor, gross motor, language, learning, executive functioning). It's not necessarily universal or a big deal, but it bothers me that doctors make sweeping generalizations about the outcomes.

Regarding your concerns, it can't hurt to get an early intervention evaluation sooner rather than later, given your history. It's always easier to intervene at a younger age instead of waiting for the gap to grow larger.

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:04 pm
I agree with getting that eval done- especially if you have some concerns

WastingTime

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 4:09 pm
I just did some PT on my 4 month old. The earlier you get an evaluation, if they decide to do any therapy, the younger he is the more effective tye therapy will be

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 5:42 pm
Thank you all so much for your kind and caring responses. I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge. X

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all so much for your kind and caring responses. I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge. X

Come back one day to share how he’s doing...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 2:28 pm
aricelli wrote:
Come back one day to share how he’s doing...

Aw thank you! I will do pG.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 11:19 am
Hi,

I saw another poster write about their 4 month old not yet rolling and that reminded me about this thread.

Wanted to come back and update as I said I would- BH BH little one is 20 months now (wow time flies) and is walking, running, throwing balls, climbing and doing so many more things!

So grateful and thankful to Hashem. And thank you to those who calmed me when I was worried.

rivkam

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:21 pm
So wonderful! May you have alot of nachas from him!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics