Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Dr Mandelman neuropsychologist

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 7:26 am
This Dr was recommended by many people on this site in various threads.
I would like more info,such as location, how much he charges... And any other information that would be useful.
TIA!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 9:09 am
He’s somwhere in Flatbush. I was extremely impressed By him.
I believe he charged $500 for a consult but don’t remember exactly

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 9:11 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
He’s somwhere in Flatbush. I was extremely impressed By him.
I believe he charged $500 for a consult but don’t remember exactly

Thanks for your reply.
How does it work with the consult?
Do we come with our child?
Or are there two different meetings?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
How does it work with the consult?
Do we come with our child?
Or are there two different meetings?

He asked me the basic questions over the phone and advised me to come with my child.

But in May be different in other cases I don’t know.

Give him a call he’s super nice and ask all your questions

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 10:17 am
He’s a typical heimish Flatbush guy btw

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
He’s a typical heimish Flatbush guy btw

With pretty amazing credentials.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:55 am
Can anyone explain the difference between a neuropsychologist and psychiatrist? How is the evaluation/ testing different?
Thanks

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:57 am
I was kinda underwhelmed by the evaluation. He spoke to my kid for about three minutes, spoke to me for another 10-15 min and gave his diagnosis. However we had a great experience with my teen brother. So I guess it depends.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:11 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I was kinda underwhelmed by the evaluation. He spoke to my kid for about three minutes, spoke to me for another 10-15 min and gave his diagnosis. However we had a great experience with my teen brother. So I guess it depends.

So he diagnoses based on parents reports? No testing for the child? Very confused now

oneofakind

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 12:29 pm
He's supposed to be used, which he has said so himself in an interview in a magazine, as a consultant, an opinion after you tried everybody else.

A neuropsychologist is supposed to do a whole battery of IQ and academic testing which can take a few visits and run about $3000. The most important part, more important even than the diagnosis, is the recommendations at the end which can run several pages of the written report (which you should get even if you have to pay extra for) which will guide you and the teachers how to help the child. This is the way to go when you don't know what's going on with your kid. Learning disabilities can masquerade and coexist with many different things.

A psychiatrist is an MD who prescribes medication so will therefore probably have a tendency to do so as opposed to giving a diagnosis that does not require medication. The first visit can be an hour or a bit more and the testing, if any, varies. So if you have ADHD in your family and your kid acts just like those family members and does well when he can focus, that's the way to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries