Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help me plan my sons bar mitzvah!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:11 pm
Planning to make a big bo bayom iyh for family and my sons friends in a hall. Would like to cook myself as much as possible. Can anyone help me with a menu? What can I make in advance and freeze? Any good recipes? And do most people do buffet or plated?

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:17 pm
We did it in a hall and used the in-house caterer, so chose from their available menu options and didn't cook any of it myself in advance. But I'm so glad that it was all plated with waiter service and not buffet.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:21 pm
I've cooked my own Bar mitzvahs but they took place in my home. If you plan on plating it you should have waiters. If you don't plan on having waiters you should do buffet style but keep in mind that by doing buffet style you end up spending more on food because you need more food so that it doesn't look empty and there are people that give themselves second helpings. Plated food ends up being less food. I did it both ways.

groovy1224

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:41 pm
Are you sure you're allowed to bring home-cooked food into the hall? Most places don't allow this, unless it's not a kosher hall, in which case they probably don't care

sky

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:51 pm
Rolls

Pickles
Coleslaw

Salad. Buy lettuce. Cherry tomatoes. Croutons. Dressing. Waiters can plate. To be fancy you can make croutons the shape of suns initial. Can also have deli or grilled chicken on top.

Soup.

Choices of:
Sliced meat
Chicken cutlets
Chicken 1/4
Individual kugel cups
Orzo with vegetables

Most Vegetable dishes have to be made last minute.

Individual strawberry shortcakes in mason jars
Layered ice cream in log pans. Serve on plate with fruit syrup and whip cream and fruit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics