Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Trips in Israel with my son- Lone Soldier
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 2:14 am
Any ideas of things we'd both enjoy?
Thank you

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:27 pm
No ideas, but Kol Hakavod to you and him. You must be SO proud. Wishing him safety and health and you both a wonderful time on your visit.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:32 pm
Thank you so much
All the encouragement really makes a difference.

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:43 pm
I also came on to applaud you. You are both amazing. Am Yisrael really appreciates it.
Can you be a bit more specific about when you're coming? How many times you've been here before? What your interests are.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:50 pm
Thank you so much
I was there 19!!!!!! years ago
I want to do things he will enjoy.
As soon as I finish using up some tissue boxes.
exciting, fun trips. Maybe combine some spiritual ones with it.

I'm coming in two weeks iyh.
Week of lag baomer.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:11 pm
Enjoy!
May we all be there by then.
I said some Tehillim for your son's continued safety, be"H.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:15 pm
Thank you so much
Tefillos always help

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:24 pm
My son was a lone soldier a few years back.. the encouragement here was amazing.
May your son only need his uniform for tourist photo ops!!!
May Hashem protect him and the entire IDF and klal Yisrael, as well as give his commanders the wisdom to keep everyone safe.

He may have ideas of what he would like to do. He might want to just have a good hot shower and sleep or relax.

What area will you be staying in- that may help with ideas..
But if you have not been there in 19 years, the Kotel tunnel tours is a must.
If you want something fun/chessed- Pantry packers or leket.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 9:54 pm
Thank you everyone
I wanted to surprise him so I can't really ask what he would like to do.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 10:18 pm
Meroe for lag Baomer is a lot of action and I find it beautiful. U can stay overnight before in Tzfat...

There’s tons to do- the kotel, kever Rochel, chevron (we go neitz with a touring company)

More activity type- mesada (very far out)

Do u drive? Are u trying to keep to a budget? A week is not such a long time u may want to stick to yerushalaim there’s lots in it!

The shuk, tunnel tours by the kotel, light show at migdal David at night and dinner in mamilla. Brunch at kadosh yum! All the food is great really:)

imasoftov

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone
I wanted to surprise him so I can't really ask what he would like to do.

I wouldn't try to plan trips with a soldier (lone or otherwise) without talking to the soldier first because the army sends soldiers on a lot of trips and while I'm sure he'd be happy to repeat one with his mother he might like it even more if he had a chance to say in advance that he missed the trip to wherever or that's not on the schedule and would like to go there.

But then I also wouldn't suprise a soldier by showing up without him knowing because if he's got a scheduled leave that he told you about and you're planning to show up then and surprise him, he might in the meantime make plans to go somewhere else if he doesn't know you're coming. He might even change his leave plans if you keep him in the dark, let's say his commander says, you're entitled to this week off, but we're short-staffed so if you wait a month I'll give you ten days and if he doesn't know you're coming he might agree to that.

Also while I'm sure he keeps his apartment as neat as his barracks and so do his seven roommates (the apartment only sleeps four but it rarely happens that they're all there at the same time ...), he might still prefer a heads-up before his mother comes to see where he lives when he's off-base.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:55 am
THANK YOU! You must be so proud of him.
I bet he'd enjoy some R&R in a posh hotel.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:23 pm
Thanx everyone
I was debating whether to surprise him or not because I feel the excitement leading up to the visit is also exciting.
I'm in touch with his commander and friend so I can arrange his days off accordingly.
I was thinking to tell him I'm coming but on an later day and semi surprise him.
I really appreciate the input and if anyone has a former lone soldier to find out for me what they would prefer.
A posh hotel by meaning is lots of money .. I think I will splurge and rent a car for a few days
I Am so proud of him though it's not easy for me.
I know he loves it so it makes it easier for me.
Thank you fir the encouraging words.
It means alot and when people tell me these things I realize how much it means to others too.

ora_43

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:47 pm
Meron on Lag B'Omer is a madhouse. Just a heads up. You couldn't pay me enough to go there, but I know people who love it.

Eilat is fun, but quite a drive away from the rest of the country. Still, a 2-3 day trip might be something to consider.

Definitely do at least a couple days in Jerusalem. Visit the shuk - there are a lot of great restaurants there these days, especially if you like to try different cuisines (they have kosher Ethiopian food, Kurdish food, Lebanese, etc. Also Crave, which is kosher "treif" food eg kosher bacon cheeseburgers). The Kotel tunnel tours are great. I found the tours of the Knesset and Supreme Court surprisingly interesting.

Other possibilities:
A day in Tzfat - Tzfat is lovely and if you like art the artists' colony is definitely worth seeing.

The Dead Sea. This is a good time for it, it's warm but (most days) not uncomfortably hot just yet.

There are some really nice hiking trails, especially (IMO) around Jerusalem and in the north. But you can find the Israel trail in most parts of the country.

Tel Aviv - Yafo is also worth a visit.

There's also just regular fun activities - bowling, escape rooms, seeing movies, etc. Personally when I'm traveling I like a mix of both (ie 3-4 hours of museums/ history/ tourist attractions, 3-4 of just regular fun, walking around getting coffee and people-watching, etc).

Enjoy your visit Smile and kol hakavod to you and your son.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:56 pm
Hi

Just found out my son has to go right back to base after the ceremony so we won't have alot of time to do things.
I would really appreciate ideas of where to go for shabbos. Has to be really nice, and not have a problem with muktza, locks etc...
Any ideas,,?
Thank you

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 9:37 pm

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi

Just found out my son has to go right back to base after the ceremony so we won't have alot of time to do things.
I would really appreciate ideas of where to go for shabbos. Has to be really nice, and not have a problem with muktza, locks etc...
Any ideas,,?
Thank you

Hotel near the kotel ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:25 pm
Do you have one thats reasonbly priced?
His apartment is in yerushalayim so I think he'd rather go to netanya or something out if yerushalayim

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:33 pm
They’re prob quite pricey

Waldorf
David citidel
Mamilah

Maybe try the Inbal

DrMom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:34 pm
How about Nir Etzion? It's a lovely kibbutz hotel near Zichron.

It's run by a dati kibbutz, so it's Shabbat-friendly. There's a pool, which he may enjoy. Will you only be there for Shabbat?

Most Israeli hotels give out Shabbat keys, allow post-shabbat check-out, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics