Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
FYI: AN EYE OPENER
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 12:51 pm
Thanks for educating me. It is important to learn about the gedolim of various groups and that is a worthy function of this site. Maybe other Lubavitchers are better educated about the various gedolim than I am so don't use me as an example.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 12:58 pm
I like most come here for relaxation and entertainment, if something doesn't interest me I won't open that topic.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 1:15 pm
I am a Lubavitcher & although I have worked & do work with non-Lubavitchers, I have never heard of R' Chaim Kanievsky. Sorry, I just haven't.

Mevater

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 1:37 pm
I hope I don't sound like I'm playing a childish game of "My Rov is better than your Rov" Music , because I respect and admire all of them (often the least well known deserving much admiration and respect).

..... but, Here's Wikipedia's definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaim_Kanievsky
Chaim Kanievsky
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rabbi Chaim KanievskyRabbi Chaim Kanievsky (Hebrew: חיים קנייבסקי‎) is a Haredi rabbi and posek ("decisor of Jewish law") living in Bnei Brak, Israel.

He is the author of several works of Jewish law, such as Derech Emunoh ("The Path of Faith"), on agricultural laws and Shoneh Halachos (a systematic presentation of the popular work Mishnah Berurah). His Halakhic rulings regarding prayer are recorded in Ishei Yisroel.

He is the son of Rabbi Yaakov Yisrael Kanievsky ("the Steipler"), the son-in-law of Rabbi Yosef Sholom Eliashiv, and nephew of Rabbi Avraham Yeshayahu Karelitz (the Chazon Ish), all prominent halakhic authorities of the 20th century.

Rabbi Kanievsky is known to refrain from engaging in politics.

Thousands of people visit the holy rabbi yearly, seeking Torah oriented advice on various topics.

Motek

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 1:39 pm
Squash wrote:
Being chasidish myself, I never thought that R' Kanievsky shlita would not be known to chasidim or lubavitchers. He is a world renowned gadol hador.

He is a renowned talmid chacham, renowned in Israel and among yeshivishe people outside of Israel.

Another point to remember is that communication is different now. Back in let's say, the 70's and 80's, when I was growing up, the big names known in the US were Rabbi Yaakov Kamenetzky, Rabbi Moshe Feinstein and several others. Their Israeli counterparts were barely referred to. We did not speak of R' S.Z. Auerbach, for example. Israeli gedolim were known to Israelis and American gedolim to Americans, with only a very few, like R' Moshe Feinstein, known by all.

Today, with the daily Hamodia, Yated, the various weekly magazines (when we grew up without ANY of that), and now yeshivaworld, we hear about every fire, car accident, yartzeit, and the various goings-on with gedolim. Still, you're not gonna find too many Lubavitchers reading Yated or yeshivaworld, and not too many M.O. reading Hamodia, nor too many yeshivishe people reading Lubavitch internet sites.

Face it, as small as our frum world is, we each live in our own orbit. In that orbit, we come to imagine that the people who we think are the center of everybody's attention are important to the whole world and affect the whole world in an overt way. It's usually not the case.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 1:42 pm
you still haven't explained the point of this thread. nor do I think "my Rav is better than your Rav" is a childish game but something that is true or isn't true.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 4:15 pm
Sure I've heard of him, I go to many Litvishe speakers/shiurim.

Mevater

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 4:36 pm
Quote:
you still haven't explained the point of this thread
I wasn't aware that posts needed signed petitions for acceptance.
Quote:
nor do I think "my Rav is better than your Rav" is a childish game but something that is true or isn't true
Only One Hashem, from his vantage point in the sky, can "play that game" with accuracy. Others are best off not attempting to judge, a G-dly task.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 9:35 am
you posted something about this thread being an eye opener. what is it supposed to open our eyes to?

Quote:
Only One Hashem, from his vantage point in the sky, can "play that game" with accuracy. Others are best off not attempting to judge, a G-dly task.

that makes more sense.

Mevater

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 9:56 am
Quote:
you posted something about this thread being an eye opener. what is it supposed to open our eyes to?

Tell me if I'm wrong, perhaps it tells us that posts of a serious nature are slightly less popular here. This has been explained in some of the above replies.

Motek

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 5:28 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong, perhaps it tells us that posts of a serious nature are slightly less popular here. This has been explained in some of the above replies.

I don't think it tells us that. It tells us that that particular thread was of minimal interest to most posters. Check out the Intellectual and Judaism sections and you'll see pages of threads on serious topics, some of which are very popular.

bashinda

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:36 pm
I know who Rav Kanievsky is and the Stiepler Gaon and the Chazon Ish etc etc because I'm a regular reader of Hamodia and Bina.

It gets a bit confusing for me, hashkafically, however for the reasons Motek mentions. Everything is presented in Hamodia and Bina as being the EMES and sometimes it clashes with my EMES and when that happens it's because it's not EMES it's hashkafa and our hashkafa isn't exactly the same. It's a delicate balance wanting to learn about everyone but with making sure I stay grounded as a Lubavitcher.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 11:30 pm
I also think that Friday afternoons are not the best time to launch a new topic that you want posters to view. Sundays seem to be a time when more posters are on or after bedtime for kids on weeknights. I never even saw it and generally try to learn about other types of yidden on imamother.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 5:00 am
I agree with many of the posters here. I don't think that anyone here doubts my Litvish qualifications Wink and of holding Reb Chaim to being one of the gedolei and tzaddikei hador. (I even have a personal story when we had amazing siyata dishmaya after asking him for his brocho.) Or that I enjoy serious discussions.

But I didn't go into that thread:
What is the point of seeing a video of him? I also agree that I doubt he would be pleased by his video being on the internet. When I want to learn something I go to a shiur or learn a sefer, not watch videos. I also don't watch videos anyway on the computer - unless I would need to for my work. I didn't quite understand why you think it's kovod to Reb Chaim to watch it, or what it would add to me to see it. (I don't get the photographs of the great-grandson of the Londoner Rebbe's bar mitzva in the Modia either. So maybe I'm just missing something.)

Anyway, I don't use imamother to go into links. I use imamother for a break from work and to have interesting discussions.

As a PS, I didn't go into the other threads you mentioned either, except for the sequential threads. Despite what it might look like from my number of posts, I actually don't go into the vast majority of threads. The ones that look interesting to me take up quite enough of my time.

technic

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 5:17 am
shalhevet wrote:
(I even have a personal story when we had amazing siyata dishmaya after asking him for his brocho.)

want 2 share? Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics