Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hemangioma/raspberry birthmark
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 5:03 am
My sister was born with several on her face and neck which she later had removed as a teen.

I was born with one below my chest which faded on its own.

One of my daughters has a large one on her upper leg. We bought her to the doctor after birth as we were instructed to do in the hospital. He said that since it isn't on her face, we should wait to see if it fades. She will be turning 4 soon and I don't think it faded at all. Even if it's perhaps a bit lighter, it's even more noticeable since it got bigger as her leg grew.
No one sees it, but if it doesn't fade in another few years, I would look into removing it.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 10:55 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Dr. Francine Blei is in Manhattan and this is her specialty.

as a hematologist she can advise (re surgery vs meds) & if needed prescribe the propranal etc. but to remove you would see her colleague dr. waner or one of the other doctors (if looking in NY) from the VBI.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:22 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
as a hematologist she can advise (re surgery vs meds) & if needed prescribe the propranal etc. but to remove you would see her colleague dr. waner or one of the other doctors (if looking in NY) from the VBI.

I also used Dr. Blei for my daughter
She is super nice
We did the oral medication

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:23 pm
I have a small strawberry mark on my inner thigh. My dr always said to leave it be as long as it was flat on my skin. He said if I felt that it became raised, I should see a dermatologist. In terms of social pressure, it's not in a very noticeable area and it's the size of a dime. But every so often I got a question/comment. I never felt self conscious about it because my mother didn't make a big deal out of it, and I think that's important. I did have to be careful to keep it from sun exposure, so I wore shorts over my bathingsuit.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:25 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I also used Dr. Blei for my daughter
She is super nice
We did the oral medication

yup! like a bubby Smile

summer0808

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:30 pm
my dd had on her upper back. it was still quite bright at 7! by now it's faded she's 18. I remember at 5-6 I was nervous and they said it was normal but of course it's not in a noticeable spot anyway

Vera

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:30 pm
Does Dr Blei work with adults ? Any recommendation for an adult?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:35 pm
Vera wrote:
how old? CVAP at CHOP sees adults till around 30 I think. Highly recommend. We see Dr. Denise Adams as our main doc, but they're all fantastic.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:37 pm
Vera wrote:

We used Dr. Blei but she referred us to Dr. David Staffenberg who we ended up using to remove my baby’s hemangioma. Was happy with his practice. I believe he sees adults as well.

212-263-8065

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
My baby who is almost a year old will be having a procedure done under anesthesia. She was born with a raspberry on her chest in an area near her shoulder. We have the option of having it removed by a plastic surgeon while she is under. It will leave a small scar. The question is whether or not to have it removed. Many babies are born with this type of birthmark on their faces. If it was there I would definitely have it removed. Since it is in an area that will only be visible when she wears a bathing suit maybe we should just leave it alone. There is a chance it will fade and therefore be less obvious. In the other hand once she is undergoing anesthesia for this other procedure shouldn't we just have it reand save her the possibility of having to do it at a later time? Is it really so bad? Will kids make fun of her? Is the scar going to be that much different than the act birthmark? What would you do in our situation?

Did you explore laser options? No scarring but it can be costly. We did it for my daughter bh and are very happy with the results.

We used The vascular Institute in Manhatten.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:44 pm
amother Teal wrote:

I see Dr. Waner was already recommended. He’s the one we use. Sorry I didn’t look through the thread first.

I’m sad more pediatricians don’t follow up on this, we were lucky and a plastic surgeon family friend suggested we see him.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:46 pm
amother Teal wrote:
how old? CVAP at CHOP sees adults till around 30 I think. Highly recommend. We see Dr. Denise Adams as our main doc, but they're all fantastic.

Tressa Hobart is the program coordinator. Super nice 267-426-9188
https://www.chop.edu/centers-p.....ogram

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:07 pm
My 20 month old has one under his hair right above the forehead - approx where tefilin goes. It's very noticeable. Now he's a baby and hair is partially covering so not as bad, but once he gets payos will look really bad and I'm not risking him being bullied or ridiculed for it so want it to be off before he's 3 or shortly after (and the thought of cutting his hair with hemangioma still there gives me chills if ch"v gets cut).

I know of these options. Input of your experience with any of these wold be appreciated

- medication. Don't really want to do this. It's a blood pressure medication which somehow makes it shrink.
- surgery can leave a scar and is invasive, so also not my preferred option
- laser seams like a good option. Insurance may cover. It's a local treatment. I know someone IRL who did this successfully. Con is will (I think) need to go a few times.
- topical solution by Dr tel-oren (Dr T) also a good option. Local treatment. Con is that will need to pay out of pocket and will also need to go 2-4 times

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:09 pm
Vera wrote:

Dr Waner sees adults. I've been to him for me multiple times, including pushing age 40. At one point, he was treating both me and one of my children. He sees a lot of adults who were never properly treated as children.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:10 pm
My 6 year old has one on his face and it has not faded at all. I wud use the opportunity to remove it.

fbc

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:12 pm
Interesting, my 1y DD has a small one on her head. It was super noticeable before all her hair grew in of course Smile now it's covered and therefore not noticeable. My one fear is that when she starts brushing/combing her hair she may not know/forget that it's there and and accidentally scrape it open. Is that even a possibility? I don't want it to get infected if that were to happen. I wouldn't do any major procedure as it's small and not noticeable. I'd consider something not so drastic for my reasoning.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:14 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
My 20 month old has one under his hair right above the forehead - approx where tefilin goes. It's very noticeable. Now he's a baby and hair is partially covering so not as bad, but once he gets payos will look really bad and I'm not risking him being bullied or ridiculed for it so want it to be off before he's 3 or shortly after (and the thought of cutting his hair with hemangioma still there gives me chills if ch"v gets cut).

I know of these options. Input of your experience with any of these wold be appreciated

- medication. Don't really want to do this. It's a blood pressure medication which somehow makes it shrink.
- surgery can leave a scar and is invasive, so also not my preferred option
- laser seams like a good option. Insurance may cover. It's a local treatment. I know someone IRL who did this successfully. Con is will (I think) need to go a few times.
- topical solution by Dr tel-oren (Dr T) also a good option. Local treatment. Con is that will need to pay out of pocket and will also need to go 2-4 times

Medication may not always be an option, or might not be the right option. I would go for a cunsult in the vascular institute or similar (I know there’s someone people like in Westchester as well) and do it asap if you want it gone by 3.

Surgery on the face wouldn’t be an option if I had any other choice.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:15 pm
fbc wrote:
Interesting, my 1y DD has a small one on her head. It was super noticeable before all her hair grew in of course Smile now it's covered and therefore not noticeable. My one fear is that when she starts brushing/combing her hair she may not know/forget that it's there and and accidentally scrape it open. Is that even a possibility? I don't want it to get infected if that were to happen. I wouldn't do any major procedure as it's small and not noticeable. I'd consider something not so drastic for my reasoning.

If it's small probably one treatment with laser or at Dr T will clear it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:19 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Medication may not always be an option, or might not be the right option. I would go for a cunsult in the vascular institute or similar (I know there’s someone people like in Westchester as well) and do it asap if you want it gone by 3.

Surgery on the face wouldn’t be an option if I had any other choice.

Yes I have a consult scheduled with a Dr recommended by refuah helpline. Will update if that changes my options.
For now I want to hear from other's experience, especially the last 2 options.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:20 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Yes I have a consult scheduled with a Dr recommended by refuah helpline. Will update if that changes my options.
For now I want to hear from other's experience, especially the last 2 options.
who did they recommend?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics