Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Feeding Sourdough Starter on Shabbes

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:02 pm
Anyone with an active starter, what do you do with it on shabbes? Don't feed it for 25 hours?

Which malachos are involved here?

kerem

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:05 pm
I was told that a starter needs to be fed every week to 10 days.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:17 pm
You can not feed it on shabbos. There are multiple melachos involved.

I run a microbakery so this is my field of expertise. I'm @homegrownkosher on Instagram just in case you want to know my pedigree ;-)

I normally feed mine every 12 hours. On Friday morning I give it its regular feeding. Let it sit for a couple hours to start bubbling and then refrigerate.
I remove it from the refrigerator immediately after Shabbos and feed it again.

If you have any other sourdough related questions feel free to email me at homegrownkosher@gmail.com

I'm always happy to help

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:21 pm
kerem wrote:
I was told that a starter needs to be fed every week to 10 days.

That's ok if you keep your starter refrigerated all the time. (Which I don't recommend unless you bake rarely since it will slow down your starter) In think OP is asking about a starter left at room temperature.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:33 pm
Oh my your Instagram Page is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Way to go!

So I am doing my starter from the first time I.e. from scratch. By Friday morning I will have fed it about 4 times. Will the same principle as above, work?

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 12:40 pm
I used to grow my own sourdough every now and then. On Shabbat, I put it into the fridge, at least in summer. In winter, I sometimes left it out over Shabbat. That worked fine for me.
Edit: the older and more mature a sourdough starter gets, the more robust it gets. Very young, new ones spoil more easily.
Best way to test if a mature sourdough starter is still good, is the smell. If it's pleasant, fruity to vinegary or earthy, it's okay. If it smells fishy or of rotten eggs or moldy, that's bad. If it smells like acetone or nail polish remover, it's hungry and needs to be fed.
Young ones can be a bit stinky even if they are okay during their first week but should get better within a few days. Confused

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh my your Instagram Page is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Way to go!

So I am doing my starter from the first time I.e. from scratch. By Friday morning I will have fed it about 4 times. Will the same principle as above, work?

Yes. Put in the refrigerator and continue after Shabbos. That's what I did when I first started mine, a long time ago :-)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
You can not feed it on shabbos. There are multiple melachos involved.

I run a microbakery so this is my field of expertise. I'm @homegrownkosher on Instagram just in case you want to know my pedigree ;-)

I normally feed mine every 12 hours. On Friday morning I give it its regular feeding. Let it sit for a couple hours to start bubbling and then refrigerate.
I remove it from the refrigerator immediately after Shabbos and feed it again.

If you have any other sourdough related questions feel free to email me at homegrownkosher@gmail.com

I'm always happy to help

I am not Goldenrod.
But I am really curious. Since this is amother-enabled can whoever hugged her post please explain why? Thanks!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 3:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I am not Goldenrod.
But I am really curious. Since this is amother-enabled can whoever hugged her post please explain why? Thanks!

Because when you're an Instagram "personality" it comes along with "haters" I've had to develop a thick skin.
99. 5% of my followers are sweet, amazing, really nice people. But there's always that .5% TMI

Honestly l, it's no different than the girl who spent the entire 6th grade whispering to me in class whenever the teacher's back was turned "You're so weird"
Yes, I am. Isn't that great? Tongue Out

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Because when you're an Instagram "personality" it comes along with "haters" I've had to develop a thick skin.
99. 5% of my followers are sweet, amazing, really nice people. But there's always that .5% TMI

Honestly l, it's no different than the girl who spent the entire 6th grade whispering to me in class whenever the teacher's back was turned "You're so weird"
Yes, I am. Isn't that great? Tongue Out

I think it's really cool. Part of me wants to master the skill but not a major part. I'll stick with the powdered stuff. But I do find it intriguing.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 5:10 pm
Goldenrod you mentioned you sell in Monsey and to DM you. I don't have the app to do that. Can you please tell me if you have a price list and location

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 7:09 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Goldenrod you mentioned you sell in Monsey and to DM you. I don't have the app to do that. Can you please tell me if you have a price list and location

You can find my prices on my website homegrownkosher.com
My phone number is there as well, you can text me to order

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 7:11 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:

Young ones can be a bit stinky even if they are okay during their first week but should get better within a few days. Confused

It sounds like you are describing children! LOL

iyar

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 7:16 pm
Frantic you're too funny!!!
And thanks OP and homegrownkosher. I'm finding this so interesting even though I'm not planning my own sourdough baking anytime soon.

***My own kids were never stinky. Just saying.

samantha87

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:58 pm
A little off topic, but since this is so interesting: did you start with a piece of mature starter from someone else, or did you start your own from just random yeast in the air? And Goldenrod, do you just sell yours over pesach or did you just start again?

amother
Puce

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 12:14 am
Goldenrod! I love your Instagram page!
I read your page in the view and I wanna try it! I've wanted for a while, but now I really want. I'd love to make a starter from scratch. Is it really that complicated? (I've made a kombucha scoby/starter from scratch, was no biggie. Was fascinating!) And if it is so complicated, do you sell starter?
Thank you!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 6:00 am
I started my own starter years ago. It isn't complicated necessarily but it does take time. You have to have patience and keep feeding it. The mistake many people make is after a few days their starter is bubbling so they think they can use it. It isn't ready to rise bread yet, so their bread flops and they think they're a failure at making sourdough.

That's why I recommend you start with some starter from someone else so you can have the best chance at learning to make good bread. Once you know what a starter is supposed to look and smell like then if you really want a peoject feel free to start your own from scratch!

I started my own because 15 years ago I couldn't find anyone with starter to share!

Yes, I definitely sell it with the chometz. It's extremely valuable!

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 7:05 am
Anyone have any good resources I could consult to learn how to start my own? This sounds like something up my alley!

Also, what do you do if you leave on vacation?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 8:03 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Anyone have any good resources I could consult to learn how to start my own? This sounds like something up my alley!

Also, what do you do if you leave on vacation?

There's as book called "Artisan Sourdough Made Simple" that's great for beginners

You can refrigerate it over your vacation or bring it along. I've done both at different times lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions