Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Can I take a stroller with no baby on an airplane?

Roots

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:15 am
we were planning to come to the states for a chasuna and I I bought a new stroller and shipped it to my NY address so I can bring it back to israel and throw away the old one.
now it seems I am flying on my own (without any kids) and I really need that stroller.
I dont want to send it as another peice of luggage cuz its $100 more.
can I just open it and use it with no child inside?
has anyone ever done this ?

( I checked on forums online and most people seem to think its ok and some have done it and it was fine. but I still wanted to ask here if anyone has experience with this kind of thing)
thanks...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:31 am
Check with your airline, and get clearance in advance.

I'm am willing to bet you a box of donuts that they will make you check it in as oversize luggage.

The cost of jet fuel is directly tied to the total weight of luggage. The majority of the jet fuel is spent on take-off, and that means lifting all of those suitcases, skis, and baby carriages.

(An airline in Korea tried charging passengers by their weight! Skinny people loved it, but others, not so much. I think they only ran the program for a year, before the media backlash did them in.)

Raisin

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:33 am
hmmm you can see if someone on your flight has a toddler and no stroller.

Roots

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:21 am
I can only hope I cant know till I actually get there..

tichellady

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:27 am
Check with the airline. I once asked and they said no.’

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 10:34 am
You need to check with the airline, but probably officially no. I recently flew and strollers were allowed for babies and/or children (til a certain age but it was much older than I expected). I flew with 5 kids and could have officially taken 5 strollers.

Unofficially, they may allow.

busy mommy

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 11:10 am
I've done it and had no problem. can't say everyone will get away with it. Also this was about 7 years ago.

Roots

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 8:06 am
any other opinions?

sub

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 9:54 am
How about if you are using it as a cart for hand luggage?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:01 am
The easiest is to ask someone with a kids to push it through for you, but that only works if you know someone on your flight.

I know a few people who managed to get a stroller on without a kid, but they are both pretty charismatic.
One was a lady bringing it for her grandchild and when they asked where the baby is, she said - my daughter had a new baby and I'm going to see my grandchild for the first time, isn't that exciting?!! They congratulated her and let the stroller through.

Another person smiled and answered "with my husband!" when they asked about the baby and they let her through, probably assuming her husband and baby were already on the plane and not in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics