Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Recommend something to learn with pre-bas mitzvah girl?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:35 am
My 11 year old daughter asked if we can learn together in preparation for her bas mitzvah. I'm thrilled, but want to make sure to choose something that will keep her engaged - not something dry that will have her bored after one or two times. Any recommendations? She specifically asked if we could learn hilchos Shabbos, but I'm not sure how to learn that with her in an exciting way.
Any recommendations for sefarim/books appropriate for her level on that topic or any other topic would be greatly appreciated! Or any other learning curriculums/ideas... Thank you!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 10:45 am
Hilchos shabbos can be so interesting. There are many interesting and engaging books on hilchos shabbos geared for that age.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 1:05 pm
You can do living emuna for teenagers

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 5:17 pm
Oh how lovely!

I don't know if they are still in print, but when I taught a bat mitzvah class in Hebrew School I used a set of sefarim published by JEP as the basis for my curriculum. There is lilmod ulelamed, lehavin ulehaskil, menucha vsimcha, and one more. Each focuses on something else, one is Shabbos, one is Torah Law, one is Teachings of the Sages. They are English books with stories, hashkafa, and halacha and are really beautiful sefarim that are appropriate for students.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 10:49 am
These are great suggestions, I'm going to look into these!
Please keep them coming if anyone has any other ideas...

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 10:49 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Hilchos shabbos can be so interesting. There are many interesting and engaging books on hilchos shabbos geared for that age.

Any specific recommendations?

forgetit

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 10:53 am
This is such a beautiful idea, I think I'm going to see if I can do it with my DD.
Thanks for the inspiration!
I wonder if these are appropriate for your DD as she sounds very mature, but I can totally see my 11 year old DD appreciating a comics book. There are Hilchos Shabbos and Shmiras Halashon comics in a couple of languages. The Hilchos Shabbos ones I've seen more recently, and they are glossy, exciting, etc. The Shmiras Halashon ones I remember from when I was a kid and they were black and white. Not sure if they are still in circulation or they've been reprinted in color...Maybe CCHF can help with this.

Last edited by forgetit on Mon, May 06 2019, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 10:54 am
forgetit wrote:
I wonder if these are appropriate for your DD as she sounds very mature, but I can totally see my 11 year old DD appreciating a comics book. There are Hilchos Shabbos and Shmiras Halashon comics in a couple of languages. The Hilchos Shabbos ones I've seen more recently, and they are glossy, exciting, etc. The Shmiras Halashon ones I remember from when I was a kid and they were black and white. Not sure if they are still in circulation or they've been reprinted in color...Maybe CCHF can help with this.

Yes, she loves comic books. Do you know the name of the Hilchos Shabbos one?

forgetit

Post Mon, May 06 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, she loves comic books. Do you know the name of the Hilchos Shabbos one?

No, but I've seen them prominently displayed in Judaica shops.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics